Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Congrats 98, do you have a favorite submission hold?

Thanks man!

I do depending on position. I have long arms so if I have someone in mount or side control my top submission is an arm triangle. From closed guard it's the kimura, and I usually go for sweeps from open guard/half guard. From the back it's the RNC even in the gi. 

1. Congrats, 98!!

2. What fights has it taken away from us? My complaint is that no matter what they test positive for, Dana says "Ssshhhhhhh..." and still ushers them into the cage so he doesn't lose a dime.   :angry:

I wish it would take some fights away so that fighters would have something to fear. 

Thanks man, I guess more than anything it takes the validity of fights/fighters away. Once the fight is over it leaves a blemish on the bout. It's also delayed a lot of fights because of suspensions and caused things like Wanderlei to get banned for life, people to get fired, etc. A friend of mine used to say that they should allow PED use in baseball/NFL/MMA/etc and I always thought it was a crazy idea, but seeing as how so many people being popped it doesn't sound as crazy to me anymore. 

QBKilla.....congrats on the promotion.  I know it took a lot of hardwork and effort to get that purple belt.  You'll get that brown belt in no time.

Question, did you still have to compete in open tournaments (NAGA) to get promoted to purple?  How's the colliflower ear coming along?

Thanks dude! I definitely took a lot of beatings on the way to purple and I'm sure there are still many to come.  :D

Yeah I did compete in a decent amount of tournaments as a blue. I'm not sure if it's actually required but I do know that our instructors prefer that we compete and most people do end up competing even if it's just 1 or 2 competitions a year. I've competed in NAGA, US Grappling, IBJJF, and a local DC area tournament called Copa Nova.I actually like NAGA the best rule-wise because they're more lenient, mainly because they let you do a lot more leg locks than the others. 

I have a little bit of cauliflower ear but nothing terrible. And it's mainly on one side because I primarily use that side of my head when pushing for takedowns and passing the guard. Some guys get it worse than others though. I've seen 3-month white belts get full cauliflower ear that needed drained several times and others (like myself) who have been doing if for several years now only get it a little bit.

Edited by #98QBKiller

QBkilla - That's pretty bad ass. I know a lot of the students at Gustavo's wear that cauliflower ear as a badge of honor. I started to get it just from clinching during muay thai class.

Also, once you reach brown belt (not that i'm even remotely close) you pretty much have a life time membership and you're allowed to start teaching the students anytime you want, not just during open mat. I wonder if its the same at your academy. Anyway, congrats again!

• Like 1

Skimming through a thread on Sherdog about Matt Brown beating the **** out of one of his coaches? Apparently the coach is filing a lawsuit. Seems as though Brown did quite a number on him. If the Hendricks fight is scrapped, and he's suspended/kicked out of the UFC, you gotta think this has been one of the worst stretches of time in MMA history. Even if Brown isn't punished, it's just been horrible lately.

Ronda got randomly tested a day or so after she took that strong stance against PEDs. If she were to fail that test bro...dagger.

• Like 1

Thatch have shoes on and Ben doesn't maybe? Still not sure why he moved to WW.

He mentioned that it was getting harder for him to make 155. Must not be worth cutting the weight when he realistically can't expect to challenge for that title any time in the near future, especially if Pettis keeps the belt.

Ariel HelwaniVerified account

‏@arielhelwani

Poland main event will be Mirko Cro Cop vs Gabriel Gonzaga 2. 4/11.

That's Cro Cop, who hasn't won a fight in the UFC since 2010 vs. a guy on a 2 fight losing streak in a main event.

Even more unsettling than that - Frank Mir, who has lost 4 in a row, gets a Main Event this month.

Many people don't believe he belongs in the UFC anymore, or at least not a Main Card.....but a Main Event ???

UFC events are not just getting "watered down".....they're getting flooded down

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Even more unsettling than that - Frank Mir, who has lost 4 in a row, gets a Main Event this month.

Many people don't believe he belongs in the UFC anymore, or at least not a Main Card.....but a Main Event ???

UFC events are not just getting "watered down".....they're getting flooded down

I was thinking about that the other day in regards to the Reebok sponsorship money. It was stated that sponsorship money will be allocated based on ranking. You gotta think that will really benefit fighters in shallow divisions like HW, Flyweight, & women's bantamweight. You could be top 5 in those divisions and still not be that good of a fighter. Fighters in a deep classes like featherweight, welterweight, & middleweight might be getting screwed.

• Like 1