Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Jones might already be the G.O.A.T.

If anything, this fight made me more interested to see Bones vs Cain. If Cormier couldn't wrestle him, makes you wonder about Cain's chances. Cain has the gas tank to stay with Jones all 5 rounds if need be.

This one will be hard to swallow for DC, not only did he lose, but he got outwrestled.

Cain has the gas tank to PUSH Bones for five rounds. Bones has never showed much of a sustained fast pace. He's more about slow methodical control. Cain is a frenzied animal the entire fight.

• Like 1

Well there is also that fact that MMA wrestling and straight up Greco Roman Wrestling are not the same thing, and a high level of success at the former doesn't mean it translates into MMA, because there is more to it in MMA.

Considering Jones looks pretty tired after 3 rounds, I'd be interested to see what he'd look like against a cardio machine like Cain during the championship rounds.  

Jones is goat

The book isn't nearly finished on Jones yet, he's only 28. If he loses to Gus, or AJ, or goes to HW soon and gets ****ed up, is he still the GOAT?

He's ridiculously talented. Insanely diverse elbows, flying knees, a money straight right AND straight left, baffingly commanding in the clinch, kicks for days, confidence thru the roof, has been hit plenty now, but never wobbled.

Cormier was doing really well with his boxing, and that single collar tie. Jones adjusted in round 4 and kept turning DC against the fence. Unbelievable. On the first takedown late in the fight, I knew it was over.

To me the greatest is Fedor, but I see why people go with Anderson, even GSP. Nobody truly stands out like a Jordan or Gretzky. If he stays undefeated, in time, he'll clearly be the GOAT. Especially if he beats Heavyweight's asses.

I have no problem with his reach advantage. There are other people built like him, and they aren't dropping Machida and outwrestling olympians. Tall, lenky fighters have been in the fight game forever, and so have their fire hydranty counterparts. Instead of length, you have muscle mass/power/explosiveness like Joe Frazier, Mike Tyson, and Fedor. Jones has twig legs, while Cormier looks like he can deadlift a school bus. He uses his build to perfection, unlike a vast majority of other overly lenky fighters. If he can make the weight, I'm not complaining.

He will be looking at a wasteland after his next fight though. Might get the James Irvin/Forrest Griffin treatment. Don't think they'll give him a tough matchup up there. Unless of course he ditches the belt and makes a run at HW.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

After watching it again, i'm somewhat surprised at how much success Bones had in the clinch. I knew Bones was one of the best clinch fighters in the game, but I expeceted Cormier's strength to play a bigger role if they fought inside.

That body work Jones put it in early really showed late in the fight. He might not have one shot KO power, but he knows how to break a fighter's body down. If he had one shot power, he would have to be considered illegal.

Edited by StillUnknown

Bones is great, but people have a very short memory of MMA if they are hoisting him up as GOAT already.  I don't blame Zuffa for doing it because that is what they do, but his wins aren't as impressive as Silva just finishing guys left and right by clowning them and dropping them, and his level of competition so far other than 2 guys in Cormier & Gus, has not been nearly as stacked as Pride's HW division was when Fedor was unbeatable. 

He still has a long career ahead of him if he chooses, so when all is said and done, he could go down as GOAT, but not yet.

Silva's resume had some dark spots as well, the Cote/Leites/Maia period stands out in particular.

There are only 4 names in the running for GOAT status: Anderson, Fedor, GSP, & now Bones.

His resume is already comparable to those 3 greats, and he doesn't appear to be slowing dow .

• Like 1

I don't think GSP presided over a great WW division necessarily either.  In his prime his competition was Thiago Alvez, Josh Kosceck. Dan Hardy, Jon Fitch.....and ever since his KO loss to Serra he changed as a fighter and lost the will to press for finishes. 

GSP's reign was the epitome of Zuffa trying to hype his opponents up in order to make people believe he was fighting guys who had a chance.  And most of his opponents did little to nothing after their titles fight losses.

Jones is GOAT material and right now shows no signs of losing that. Every fighter loses a fight at some point. It's what they do after their first loss that determines their GOATness and Bones shows zero signs of losing for a while.

He actually employs better usage of his opponent's strengths than the opponents do. Insane. No holes in his game. The uppercuts he ate last night would have dropped any HW. Insane.

Well most people are saying he is staying at LHW to break the all-time UFC win record in the division. I am not sure how far away he is, but other then a re-match with Gus, I don't see what else there is in this division to stay for, or what could be sold as a legitimate fight.

Rumble and Gus are the only legitimate threats. If Rumble destroys Gus than I don't see any way Jones beats him.

If he disposes of Gus and Rumble than he has to move up and fight Cain. There's no point in wasting time in a division that he's just to big for. And yes I know he makes weight but I don't care, he should be an heavy weight.

Edited by Taylor703

Is that MMA math? You don't see any way Jones beats Rumble?

I think Rumble is better.

Gus is every bit as big as Jones.....don't see anyone callling for him to move up to HW.

If he beats Gus again and then goes on to beat Rumble than what's left? There is literally no reason for him to stay in the LHW division. Move him up.

Jones can lose at LHW, if someone sticks to a decent gameplan against him & doesn't stay in front of him eating those low kicks & spinning elbows on the way in. Gus almost did it, staying off center and coming in at an angle, I'm surprised DC didn't try the same.

Round 5 was exactly what I feared & did not want that fight to turn into: 2 wrestling meatheads in a takedown contest- that was so ****ing boring and the exact reason pro wrestling on TV involves strippers, fireworks & scripts, the real crap is far to painful to watch.

I just hope Gus beats Rumble so Jones can't run from him. If Gus loses & then wins his next 5 I can see Jones running from him, either taking other fights or going to HW. Gus Jones 2 needs to happen in 2015.

Cerrone is a beast. If he beats Henderson title shot or rematch with that one Brazilian who just beat Nate but I can't remember his name.

Dos Anjos is who you're thinking of, and he's fighting Pettis next. If there's an injury though, Cerrone would most likely fill the spot if he beats Bendo.

Still can't get the Nate Diaz beatdown on Cowboy out of my head. I know that was about 7 fights ago, and they've gone different directions ever since, but that was an absolute domination. Crazy he's in the spot he's in. Felt like he was done.

Cannot see him beating Pettis, or Dos Anjos for that matter. Maybe give him Melendez in the summer?

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Cerrone is a beast. If he beats Henderson title shot or rematch with that one Brazilian who just beat Nate but I can't remember his name.

Benson's beat him twice, but Cerrone is in much better form. If Cerrone wins, give him to the Dagestan fellow who's been hurt and waiting for a title shot.

Jones can lose at LHW, if someone sticks to a decent gameplan against him & doesn't stay in front of him eating those low kicks & spinning elbows on the way in. Gus almost did it, staying off center and coming in at an angle, I'm surprised DC didn't try the same.

Round 5 was exactly what I feared & did not want that fight to turn into: 2 wrestling meatheads in a takedown contest- that was so ****ing boring and the exact reason pro wrestling on TV involves strippers, fireworks & scripts, the real crap is far to painful to watch.

I just hope Gus beats Rumble so Jones can't run from him. If Gus loses & then wins his next 5 I can see Jones running from him, either taking other fights or going to HW. Gus Jones 2 needs to happen in 2015.

The reach difference was simply to much for DC.

The reach difference was simply to much for DC.

I don't really buy that, a good majority of that fight was fought in the clinch. Jones didn't seem that overly concerned about keeping the fight at range. DC landed some good shots on Jones, particularly the uppercuts from the clinch, and he tried for a few of his clinch throws, but couldn't complete them. Bones simply proved that he was a better inside fighter. That body work Bones put in from the clinch during the couple of rounds, especially the 1st round, ended up being too much for DC.

After a couple of more viewings, I'm really disappointed in DC's corner. AKA is one of the better gyms in the game, they should be above the "make it a dogfight" & "do you want this" commentary between rounds. They seemed really disjointed late, too many voices screaming in a DC's ear, each with a different message.

On a sidenote, I'm not sure how I missed this gif, but its an all time great: 

https://hostr.co/file/970/TNAy085WRfMu/sanford.gif (its a large file, so I won't embed)

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1