Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

still more qualified than CM Punk lol

I feel like a 6 year who has older brothers that watch the UFC, and I'm talking to my kindergarten pals about who would win a UFC fight, a WWE pro wrestler or a Power Ranger when reading the last page of this thread.

Next up, Charlie Sheen vs. Ashton Kutcher in the twitter/ 2 1/2 men Throwdown! Special guest referee Vern Troyer, or Matt Hughes if Mini Me can't get a license in time.

Spider, please come back, we need you.

Jones vs. Cormier this weekend. Totally hyped. Think Jones takes it 3 rounds to 2.

Cerrone/Jury (15-0) and Lombard/Burkman are also on the card.

Cormier is awesome. Jones is unconventionally over the top awesome and simply has too many weapons, even though I hate his smug ass. 

Bones will again dominate IMHO. The man who will dethrone Bones is not on the scene yet.

Edit- Although I will admit this matchup reminds me a little of Weidman vs. Silva 1.

Edited by Chachie

Jones does have a huge reach advantage, but DC is an incredibly smart fighter, who I'm sure will have a strategy to neutralize that as much as possible. He came up with a highly effective strategy to neutralize and basically eliminate the threat of the H-bomb when he fought Hendo. By no means, am I comparing Hendo to Jones, I just think DC's ability to adapt and fight smart cannot be underestimated.

Jones does have a huge reach advantage, but DC is an incredibly smart fighter, who I'm sure will have a strategy to neutralize that as much as possible. He came up with a highly effective strategy to neutralize and basically eliminate the threat of the H-bomb when he fought Hendo. By no means, am I comparing Hendo to Jones, I just think DC's ability to adapt and fight smart cannot be underestimated.

I don't doubt DC's mind, I doubt if he has the physical capabilities to pull it off. What made Gus so difficult for Bones, even more than an equal reach, was his excellent lateral movement. DC hasn't displayed that kind of footwork or speed laterally. If he only moves in a straight line, it makes closing the distance hell and he'll eat straight kicks and hooks to the body and won't be in range to answer back.

I am very intrigued by the fight because they are two of the more cerebral fighters in the game. Bones has shown an ability to adapt his game mid-fight if something isn't going his way. We really haven't seen DC tested so we don't know how he responds.

Very interesting dynamic.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, the brawl at the first presser showed me all I needed to see. Bones got up in his face, got him to snap, and put him down.

I see Cormier as a stronger version of Rashad Evans. Not stronger enough though, to do make a better fight than Rashad did against Jon. I'll be bouncing off the walls if Daniel pulls this out but I'm just not seeing it happen.

I don't doubt DC's mind, I doubt if he has the physical capabilities to pull it off. What made Gus so difficult for Bones, even more than an equal reach, was his excellent lateral movement. DC hasn't displayed that kind of footwork or speed laterally. If he only moves in a straight line, it makes closing the distance hell and he'll eat straight kicks and hooks to the body and won't be in range to answer back.

He may not need to display superior lateral footwork.

The way I see Cormier's approach and strategy is an emphasis on clench-work, similar to the way he fought Mir, who had a sizeable reach advantage.

I envision DC using the clenches, where he has the ability to generate a lot of power in small spaces, and do damage to his opponent, and of course at the same time, limiting Jones' speed, kicks, and reach advantage, etc.

But even in the clench, he still has to worry about those elbows and knees. So it could really go either way.

But still, that's probably his best chance of winning, is the clench, or the phone booth.....other than maybe outwrestling him.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Yea, DC has a very short reach himself, relative to many other fighters.

So, as a result, all of his UFC opponents have had a reach advantage, and most of his pre-UFC opponents did as well.

But he beat them all. So, that stands for something. And of course shows he knows how to compensate for his lack of size, in his arms.

But this is different. None of those reach discrepancies were near the 12 inches Jones has over him.

It's one extreme vs the other extreme......in that department. A whole new world.

So, who really knows if his success against fighters with reach advantages will be relevant in this case.

Unless he follows my predicted formula posted a little bit above.

Yeah let us not forget Cormier was dumping HW's on their back. He rag-dolled Josh Barnett who is considered one of the elite MMA wrestlers.

Honestly, I think when it comes to skill-sets DC's is better, I just wonder if Bones will do what he did with Gustafson when the heat got turned up and starts throwing haymakers trying to catch DC on the way in.

If anything this fight should be Bones's last at LHW, and if somehow Bones does something anything close to a dominant performance, I really would like to see Bones do the right thing, move up to HW get maybe a warmup fight and then challenge Cain, who I don't think he can beat, but IMO Bones belongs fighting HW's.

Unfortunately, the brawl at the first presser showed me all I needed to see. Bones got up in his face, got him to snap, and put him down.

Personally, I would put little or no stock in the results or outcome of that presser brawl.

The entire environment of that brawl, is so far from the actual environment, atmosphere, and most  factors in the octagon, that it has no comparable value.

Almost like a preseason NFL game, for lack of a better analogy.

None of those reach discrepancies were near the 12 inches Jones has over him.

It's one extreme vs the other extreme......in that department. A whole new world.

So, who really knows if his success against fighters with reach advantages will be relevant in this case.

Unless he follows my predicted formula posted a little bit above.

Not to mention none of those fighters were strikers anywhere close to Bones' caliber. I'd also add that Jon's ground game is pretty underrated.

Go DC!... but this will be an uphill climb.

Jones 84.5

Bf 82

Palelei 81

Cole 80.5

Mir 79

Barnett 78

Cormier 72.5

He's had to overcome large reach discrepancies before, by much heavier hitters. Granted Jones has the longest reach, but the only power shot from distance I can remember from him is when he popped Machida, and the distance was pretty closed at that moment. The array of leg kicks he throws, and the accumulative punches, are what his reach really helps.

I think DC is savvy enough to get inside of that **** over a 25 minute period. He won't just stand there like Rashad and Rampage, unless he has a total brainfart. It's the elbows and sneaky ass trips that are the biggest threats. This fight will most likely be won from what happens when they're clinched up.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

DC will have a huge core strength advantage. He's a bear and he's shown that there is no one that he can't toss around if he's able to get his arms around them.

Bones however knows how to use his length and he's used it to make good fighter look foolish. The only guy that he struggled against was the guy that could match his reach and strike with him.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out because DC is going to charge him and I think it all comes down to Jones' ability to keep from getting clinched with his back against the cage. If Bones can dictate the pace and position early on, DC will tire and wilt under the damage Jones puts on him. If DC is able to charge around like a mad man and keep Jones on his heels and with his back on the cage or mat, the opposite is true.

I think Jones finishes this fight in the third.

Also, can Cormier keep him down and beat him up on the ground, if he's able to take him down in the first place? If Jones gets him on his back one time, it will make everyone collectively hold their breath. I think Jones can find ways back to his feet without taking too much damage. Cormier's top control will be crucial if his gameplan is working.

Jones does have deceptively good knees, and Cormier being short makes me nervous for him in that regard. Will be interesting to see how he reacts if he gets hurt by a knee or spinning elbow.

6 out of 7 of their UFC fighter peers questioned, picked DC.

That's even more favorable odds, than the percentage of dentists that recommend sugarless gum.

Johny Hendricks: Cormier by way of wrestling and power
Josh Barnett: Cormier by superior takedown game and quick hands
Anthony Pettis: Jones by championship experience
Khabib Nurmagomedov: Cormier by wrestling and spirit
Felice Herrig: Cormier by manhandle
Jamie Varner: Cormier by athleticism
Josh Thomson: Cormier by fighting smart

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/12/29/7460353/video-pros-pick-jon-jones-vs-daniel-cormier-ufc-182-title-fight-mma

I don't see Jones taking Cormier down. He couldn't take Gus down, and Gus took Bones down a couple of times. I'm taking DC but I'm not very confident in my prediction.

It's just that if DC is on his back one time...it could get ugly. Obviously I don't expect a double leg takedown from Jones, but a reversal, a knockdown, a trip set up with strikes, even a slip could spell doom for Cormier.

When the matchup was first announced, I was thinking Cormier wins. Recently I've been thinking Jones wins. Gus was matching and even beating Jones from the outside. Cormier simply cannot do that. I think he has success getting inside, but in the end Jones will have landed too much on the feet. He'll steal a round with some spinning **** ala rd 4 vs. Gus too.

If anything this fight should be Bones's last at LHW, and if somehow Bones does something anything close to a dominant performance, I really would like to see Bones do the right thing, move up to HW get maybe a warmup fight and then challenge Cain, who I don't think he can beat, but IMO Bones belongs fighting HW's.

He should fight Gus again before moving to HW.

I don't see Jones taking Cormier down. He couldn't take Gus down, and Gus took Bones down a couple of times. I'm taking DC but I'm not very confident in my prediction.

Count me in the same camp, I want DC to win & think he can if he fights smart, but one little mistake could cost him the fight. Sloppy footwork or even taking one too many front low kicks to the knee could change the outcome of that fight.

I just checked the odds, Bones is -165, DC +145. For refence, Silva was -230 & Weidman was +185 I think for their first fight.

Jones and DC still can't be in the same room with each other...

the two men reportedly were involved in a backstage confrontation after the traditional staredowns, and their respective camps got involved

3 videos of confrontations at link

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/1/7479499/report-altercation-broke-out-camps-jon-jones-and-daniel-cormier-ufc-182-video

Good man, hope the emotions creep in to the fight. They'll be beatin' the **** out of each other. There WAS the Rashad and Rampage beefs, where they talked **** like crazy and played patty cake most of the fight.

Hope it's awesome...been looking forward to this one more than any fight I can think of. The cancellation of the first fight was a total bummer. Like I keep saying, this is the closest thing we'll see to a superfight. They won't match champions up.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll