Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Yeah, those are two talented fighters. Good to see. Carla is a well rounded mofo, has real good technique everywhere. Pleasantly surprised. Rose is fun to watch too. She started well.

Big card tomorrow. Nate Diaz is ranked #14, lol. Dos Anjos is fighting like a rabid beast lately. Diaz came in at 160 lbs and is pissed off at everybody. I'm scared of Dana cutting ties with him and NICK getting pissed. Don't want something stupid ruining the Anderson fight.

Overeem, paha, you guys nailed it. Brooklyn Brawler. I really hope Struve can fight/is okay if he takes shots to the head.

Dos Santos vs. Miocic is an incredible matchup. Both the same kind of fighters. Dos Santos loads up a little more, Stipe is more of a technical kickboxer. I'll take the upset here though. Miocic is surging and Dos Santos has been through the meat grinder lately. Had some time off too.

Bold pick Double.

Cain beat the hell out of a JDS for damn near 50 minutes of cage time, but until I see somebody else beat him, he's still the #2 HW in the world. Miocic is a decent wrestler, but I think he lacks the explosiveness in his shot and the determination to get it that Cain possesses. Miocic is also a pretty good striker, but until I see otherwise, JDS has him beat on the feet. I think Miocic has a moment or two, but JDS lands a killshot before the end of the 3rd round.

RDA over Diaz. I would have picked RDA before Diaz missed weight and he's still my pick. He has grown into one of the more well rounded fighters in all of the UFC. His striking against Bendo looked incredibly quick, sharp, & powerful. With a win, he has as good a case of anybody for being next in line to fight Pettis.

Mittrione over ManBearPig. I think Mittrione uses his athleticism to avoid Gonzaga's takedown and catches him on the feet.

Overeem over Struve: Can Overeem land a knee before a stiff gust of wind meets his chin? Struve is coming off a heart condition and long layoff, and he was never much of a striker anyway. This is designed to get Overeem a win, he's shunned such opportunities before, no telling what he does tonight.

Really looking forward to Claudia Gadelha/Joanna Jedrzejczyk on the prelims. I really think the winner of this one, beats Esparza for the title.

Struve is coming off a heart condition and long layoff, and he was never much of a striker anyway.

Couldn't he vastly improve his striking and/or jabbing, simply by coming up with a strategy that better utilizes his reach ? Or does his lack of speed/quickness prevent him from doing that ?

His reach is identical to Jon Jones (not to mention, he's 8 inches taller than Jones, of course)

I'm not sure he's fully taking advantage of, and playing to his strengths.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Couldn't he vastly improve his striking and/or jabbing, simply by coming up with a strategy that better utilizes his reach ? Or does his lack of speed/quickness prevent him from doing that ?

His reach is identical to Jon Jones (not to mention, he's 8 inches taller than Jones, of course)

I'm not sure he's fully taking advantage of, and playing to his strengths.

He lacks Jones' speed, but more importantly, he lacks Jones' fight IQ. Struve fights like a man with no desire to use is natural reach, but he doesn't have the speed or clinch game to fight inside. For all his size, he's not that physically strong. He uses his size well off his back, but standing he's a bit of a mess.

on a sidenote, this is big news: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/12/13/7387889/fighters-to-sue-ufc-for-100s-of-millions-in-class-action

For months, Bloody Elbow reporters John Nash and Brent Brookhouse have been investigating rumors of a class action lawsuit against the UFC by former and current fighters. Bloody Elbow can now confirm through multiple sources that such a lawsuit is not only in the works but that a filing is imminent.

While we have been told the names of several potential signatories we have as yet been unable to confirm that those names will appear on the complaint. As was told to Bloody Elbow, the recent announcement of the Reebok sponsorship deal with the UFC appears to have reached into the suit, resulting in some strategic changes.

We have been able to confirm that the suit will be based on accusations that the UFC has violated antitrust laws by abusing their "market power" to intentionally and systematically cripple the free market. Several of the individuals we spoke to compared it to the recent San Jose hi-tech employee and NCAA antitrust cases. The manager of one high profile fighter who wished to remain anonymous has informed Bloody Elbow that the plaintiffs will be seeking damages for potentially hundreds of millions of dollars due to reduced fight purses, video game rights fees, and other sources of income.  The final amount could even be greater, with statutes awarding "treble damages" in antitrust cases.

Another manager referred to the pending suit as "a game changer."

According to our sources the fighters are represented by three or four large firms renowned for antitrust litigation. The firms named to us have  won major class action antitrust cases against bigger targets than the UFC, including against those in the banking, credit, technology and pharmaceutical industries.
  • Like 1

Gonna side with Mr Double on the upset pick.

A couple years ago, I think that fight would have been considered a much bigger upset, than it would be, today.

But since then, JDS has been on a subtle decline, while Miocic, a slight incline, IMO......

Miocic

RDA

Struve

Meathead

EDIT - referred to RDA, as RDS, originally in my post.....I blame Junior for that, and his initials and name !

Damn, I blinked and missed what happened with Moraga.

He thought there was a break called by the ref (either that, or he was arguing his case to get a break)

And Gates hammered him and floored him while he was waiting on the ref.

What did Moraga think was happening ? I didn't hear what the ref said

Damn, I blinked and missed what happened with Moraga.

He thought there was a break called by the ref (either that, or he was arguing his case to get a break)

And Gates hammered him and floored him while he was waiting on the ref.

What did Moraga think was happening ? I didn't hear what the ref said

Moraga complained of a low blow, ref said he didn't see it and to keep fighting. 

I would have done the same thing if I was Gates.

• Like 1

Moraga complained of a low blow, ref said he didn't see it and to keep fighting. 

I would have done the same thing if I was Gates.

The irony of that situation, is there was a legitimate low blow from Gates, on Moraga, shortly before that, and it was called by the ref, however Moraga was like, "It's cool. No break needed"