Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Not really. Bones has the longest reach in the UFC... Silva isn't exactly a TRex though.

Spider Silva is 6'2 with a 77.5inch reach

Bones Jones is 6'4 with a 84.5inch reach

He has a 11 inch reach advantage tonight, he'd have a 7 inch advantage on Silva. You aren't going to get much more even though unless he fights Brock who has an 81 inch wingspan. Silva has longer arms then Rua, Evans, or Rampage though.

Silva has a massive punching power advantage over Jones IMO and terrific accuracy with strikes. If Jones let pride get into the way and banged with him he is likely to go to sleep. His advantage would be significant if he took Silva down.

That is still a big size advantage.

---------- Post added September-24th-2011 at 08:49 PM ----------

Looks like Jones broke his foot.

Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big

post fight awards:

KOTN: Koscheck

SOTN: Diaz

FOTN: Jones/Rampage (should've went to Mizugaki/escovedo)

---------- Post added September-24th-2011 at 11:57 PM ----------

That is still a big size advantage.

---------- Post added September-24th-2011 at 08:49 PM ----------

Looks like Jones broke his foot.

I thought he might have hurt it when Rampage finally decided to check a leg kick in the 3rd. Kinda makes you wonder how things would've went if Jones didn't end it so early in the 4th.

@KevinI

Kevin Iole

Jones said his legs are fine. No issues. Shins are sore. #ufc #mma

50 seconds ago via web

hopefully its nothing serious. Might be able to see Jones/Rashad before the end of the year or early next year. Rashad is still recovering from a broken thumb himself.

Edited by StillUnknown

So Mayweather was rumored to receive around 40 million for his fight with Ortiz (which was ****). How much is Jones getting for tonight? 100k-ish?

Dana White is going to loose his golden goose soon if this keeps up. Fighters are getting better and more well known every year.

Edited by Destino

So Mayweather was rumored to receive around 40 million for his fight with Ortiz (which was ****). How much is Jones getting for tonight? 100k-ish?

Anderson Silva gets around $200K per fight from the UFC so $100K sounds right for Jones. But most big name fighters get that number matched and then some from their sponsors so I bet all in all, JBJ will go home with a quarter million or so from tonight. The UFC's biggest earners are guys like Liddell and Lesnar who sell a ton of PPVs. Liddell would get $500K from the UFC at the end of his career and that is still top money, so yes boxers get much better paydays.

Anderson Silva gets around $200K per fight from the UFC so $100K sounds right for Jones. But most big name fighters get that number matched and then some from their sponsors so I bet all in all, JBJ will go home with a quarter million or so from tonight. The UFC's biggest earners are guys like Liddell and Lesnar who sell a ton of PPVs. Liddell would get $500K from the UFC at the end of his career and that is still top money, so yes boxers get much better paydays.

Champs & big names also get a portion of PPV profits. Then there's the unspoken "bonuses" that numerous fighters have said Dana gives them. No where near boxing dollars, but Jones will get close to a million for this fight alone if the PPV sells well.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Rampage: Were you surprised by my wrestling? Jones: It wasn't bad. I shot one shot and you stuff it nice. Rampage: That's what she said.

:ols: comedic timing is a gift

on a sidenote, if you need more violence in your life tonight, try to catch the replay of tonight's Bellator card. Some very violent finishes on that card.

---------- Post added September-25th-2011 at 01:21 AM ----------

from Bellator:

Alexis Villa vs. Joe Warren:

iboAx9xa6aGqNS.gif

22yr Old Eduardo Dantas vs. Wilson Reis:

iSxChSKTgdeN.gif

Edited by StillUnknown

With the extreme reach advantage Jones had, Rampage wasn't going to have much luck looking for the "one big punch"

Jones's reach is so overwhelming that he often can get wild and out of control with his "dynamic offense" but his opponent is unable to capitalize on it since he head & body are so far from the end of his wing span.

I was rooting for Rampage, but at least it looked like he gave it his all in training, whenever him and Jones went into the clinch on the cage he was anticipating Jones taking a step back and trying to go for some type of homerun shot. Rampage often ducked the spinning back first with good timing, but instead of going for a takedown, he just tried to counter it with a punch.

I will say there were a few times it looked like Rampage could have, or at least should have followed up some of his left hands that connected, however he was really reeving up for the haymaker constantly which can become demoralizing if you keep missing.

One thing about Jones that we all know now, he has deceptive strength. His slender build is a good smokescreen that hides how truly strong he is.

I still say the best LHW matchup for him right now to give him a challenge (assuming he beats Rashad) is Machida. The problem is no one knows if Machida will get himself back into position for a title shot, however I think his counter-style, coupled with trying to make his opponents miss could be a good counter-strategy for someone who often likes to get a little wild and over the top with his striking.

Palhares lost in the finals on points to Andre Galvao, impressive run from Paul Harris.

from Palhares' semi final match:

Rousimar Palhares vs. Rafael Lovato Jr.- Lovato pulls Toquinho into guard but Toquinho stands out. Lovato keeping his feet safe in a butterfly guard on Toquinho, lots of grip fighting but nothing much happening. Lovato is looking to frustrate Toquinho here is what it looks like with the constant head grabbing and wrist grip fighting. Toquinho forces the half guard and Toquinho gets the leg and it's over, man Toquinho is just wrecking legs. Toquinho goes to the finals where whoever he fights should probably just amputate their own legs before stepping onto the mats.

Marcelo Garcia once again dominated the field to win his division. He beat Kron Gracie (Rickson's son) in the semi's on points, then tapped the legend Leo Viera in the finals with a triangle that started in the mount.

Dean Lister won his division as well, upsetting Rodolfo Viera on the way who's been destroying damn near everyone this year.

Vinny Magalhaes (From TUF) beat Fabricio Werdum to win his division, had to fight through some tough positions to get it.

Kyra Gracie won her division with an omoplata finish in the finals.

Edited by StillUnknown

Palhares lost in the finals on points to Andre Galvao, impressive run from Paul Harris.

from Palhares' semi final match:

Marcelo Garcia once again dominated the field to win his division. He beat Kron Gracie (Rickson's son) in the semi's on points, then tapped the legend Leo Viera in the finals with a triangle that started in the mount.

Dean Lister won his division as well, upsetting Rodolfo Viera on the way who's been destroying damn near everyone this year.

Vinny Magalhaes (From TUF) beat Fabricio Werdum to win his division, had to fight through some tough positions to get it.

Kyra Gracie won her division with an omoplata finish in the finals.

On Marcelo Garcia's finish:

http://mma.sbnation.com/2011/9/23/2444635/adcc-2011-results-previews-interviews-competitors

ADCC 2011 Men's Under 77kg Finals: Marcelo Garcia vs. Leo Viera

Viera pulls guard and Marcelo starts laterally passing the half guard using his shins to pin Leo's bottom leg. Leo locking up Marcelo's far arm to try and stop the pass and work a sweep but Marcelo keeping very level and rotating his hips correctly to try and finish the pass and get out of the half guard.

Marcelo gets a swift pass and immediate mount, Marcelo has Viera's arm stuck in and Marcelo gets the triangle from the mount and rolls it over and there it goes and he finishes with the triangle on the bottom.

Marcelo is a phenom as he made swift work of almost all of his opponents with some beautiful submissions and passing work this weekend. Very impressive work from crowd favorite Marcelo Garcia.

Garcia is now a 4 time ADCC champion and was able to win all of his matches in his weight class this time around with submissions. With only one real scare as Kron almost had a guillotine on him it looked like Marcelo Garcia just breezed through the opposition with just amazing technical prowess.

If he keeps this up he's going to go down as the GOAT in BJJ and submission wrestling.

Edited by #98QBKiller

I know the Women's BJJ talent pool isn't the deepest, but Kyra Gracie winning the FINAL by omoplata is incredible.

Marcelo Garcia, I'm speechless, I have to catch up on more of his matches.

As far as UFC 135, Gomi is fighting like a guy with a puncher's chance at this point, he got absolutely destroyed. Diaz with his most amazing performance yet, directly after his worst performance yet. Just goes to show you how freakin' much styles make fights in this sport.

Was Ben Rothwell the most gassed fighter in the history of MMA? Honest question. That was the worst I've ever seen.

Awkward moment of the night goes to Matt Hughes answering Joe Rogan's question about retirement. Rogan sounded like he already knew that this was Matt's final hoo-rah. Right after the fight was stopped, he said something like, "This is the end of an illustrious career". So he goes up to Matt and asks him about retiring in a really almost-sad manner. Matt hangs his head, hesitates, lifts it up and says, "You know Joe...............I'm gonna ask the UFC to put me on the shelf for a while."

:ols: Oh......really? Um, alrighty then...

I ended up picking Rampage to win, and it was an honest hunch. I thought he'd bring power, durability and defense that Jones' hadn't experienced before. The thing that really stood out was that Jones utilizes unorthodox techniques constantly, so much so, that they are now orthodox to him. He chopped Rampages' legs up so well, it was textbook on how to attack Rampage in the safest manner possible. Perfect game plan, the guy absolutely dominated the entire fight without taking hardly any damage.

No Breaking News here, Jones is the next step in MMA evolution. His striking is incredibly varied, and it is all effective. His takedown defense is wicked, his takedowns are so varied and so potent. His ground and pound is a ****ing nightmare, his jiu jitsu is wildly underrated. In my mind, he is the most talented fighter in MMA by a good margin. His hands might not be as good as Anderson Silva's, and we don't know how great he is off his back, but I seriously don't think anyone at LHW can even get him there. And if his skills in other facets of the game are any indication, his bottom game isn't exactly weak.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Jones is the next step in MMA evolution. His striking is incredibly varied, and it all works in the octagon. His takedown defense is wicked, his takedowns are so varied and so potent. His ground and pound is a ****ing nightmare, his jiu jitsu is wildly underrated. In my mind, he is the most talented fighter in MMA by a good margin. His hands might not be as good as Anderson Silva's, and we don't know how great he is off his back, but I seriously don't think anyone can even get him there. And if his skills in other facets of the game are any indication, his bottom game isn't exactly weak.

ibw9mCvipq0t0H.gif

I wish he would've attempted that with more time left in the round. He locked the triangle up pretty quickly, I would've like to see how Bones would've countered Rampage's slam attempt.

---------- Post added September-25th-2011 at 02:25 PM ----------

Andre Galvao tapped Pablo Popovitch to win the Absolute Division of ADCC. Damn good tournament from Galvao winning his division and the absolute.

True. But there are only a few boxers that even come close to commanding that kind of money. Mayweather, Pacquiao and...that's about it. There is nobody else that can legitimately carry a boxing PPV of any significant magnitude right now. I worry about the future of boxing once those two guys decide to hang it up. If you look from the top to the bottom of major boxing, there are a few guys that make almost all of the money, then there is a sizable middle tier, then there are most of the guys that don't make jack.

There are also a lot more guys that you pay more money to on a UFC card, I mean there were five fights on the main card last night, and at least four of the fighters were making pretty good money, maybe even six of them. And as someone pointed out, in most cases, the fighters make a lot more than is disclosed to the public.

The top tier of MMA certainly does not make as much as boxers, but the top tier of MMA is much, much larger. I also think the middle tier is much larger. If you take out Manny and Floyd, there really is not that much of a discrepancy.

While Jones is certainly impressive and is probably underrated by his haters, one thing to note right now is that his extreme reach distance did bail him out a few times when making mistakes against Rampage. There were a handful of times that Rampage had timed some counters perfect but because he was so far away due to Jones's wingspan, the shot either barely grazed Jones or never hit him at all.

Also his strength I think is very underrated due to his build. He isn't the typical 6'2 buffed out behemoth, he is very tall and very lanky, but he is very strong. It think some of these guys think they will get him in the clinch and take him down, but they find he is a lot stronger than anticipated.

The person who beats Jones has to bring the fight on the inside. They can't stand at Jone's distance and wait for him to make a mistake. You have to pressure Jones and force him to go backwards. He showed a habit in the Rampage fight that whenever there is a threat of him getting punched he will turn and run. A fighter with better cardio than Rampage could effectively not continually let him off the hook when Jones does that, and run after him and plant a kick in his face or ribs for his efforts.

Again, this isn't to say Jones isn't the real deal, he is, and is still extremely young and raw considering how far he has gotten, but he has shown some dents in the armor that haven't been capitalized on yet, but could potentially in the future with some fight tape studying.

Edited by NoCalMike

While Jones is certainly impressive and is probably underrated by his haters, one thing to note right now is that his extreme reach distance did bail him out a few times when making mistakes against Rampage. There were a handful of times that Rampage had timed some counters perfect but because he was so far away due to Jones's wingspan, the shot either barely grazed Jones or never hit him at all.

Also his strength I think is very underrated due to his build. He isn't the typical 6'2 buffed out behemoth, he is very tall and very lanky, but he is very strong. It think some of these guys think they will get him in the clinch and take him down, but they find he is a lot stronger than anticipated.

The person who beats Jones has to bring the fight on the inside. They can't stand at Jone's distance and wait for him to make a mistake. You have to pressure Jones and force him to go backwards. He showed a habit in the Rampage fight that whenever there is a threat of him getting punched he will turn and run. A fighter with better cardio than Rampage could effectively not continually let him off the hook when Jones does that, and run after him and plant a kick in his face or ribs for his efforts.

Again, this isn't to say Jones isn't the real deal, he is, and is still extremely young and raw considering how far he has gotten, but he has shown some dents in the armor that haven't been capitalized on yet, but could potentially in the future with some fight tape studying.

The person to beat Bones also has to have a great takedown defense. Getting inside simply isn't enough since Jones can put just about anybody on their back. Rampage showed some great takedown defense while in the clinch, but not many possess his strength.

I'm trying to think of another fighter who's fought at this high a level without revealing a true weakness in the cage, and I'm drawing blanks.

Watching his fight with Gusmao & O'Brien, it's scary how fast he closed up holes in his striking game. He got hit often in both of those fights, now he's finally using the reach like the weapon it should be.

ibw9mCvipq0t0H.gif

I wish he would've attempted that with more time left in the round. He locked the triangle up pretty quickly, I would've like to see how Bones would've countered Rampage's slam attempt.

I don't think he expected or wanted to end the fight at the end of that round. Don't forget about his shot/flip over his head of Jackson at the end of the previous round (or was it the next round?). I honestly think it was gamesmanship, and he was telling Rampage (and his corner, and possibly the crowd) that he could end the fight anytime he wanted. He could've pulled that drop to triangle at multiple times throughout the fight. Granted, perhaps he was waiting until the end of the round for fear of putting himself in a bad spot should Rampage break it and employ his GnP, which would obviously explain his shot/flip at the end of the other. It's just scary to watch a guy that has never been in trouble in his career with the UFC. Never. Even Silva can't say that.

Edited by herrmag

Awesome KO from the Bellator BW tourney:

The guy that stopped Joe Warren is 40 years old, but he looks like a beast. I think Warren was his first real test but impressive nonetheless.

He's got some serious wrestling credentials as well, if he were younger, he could make some serious noise. He says he's 40, but if he's anything like Cuban boxers i'm familiar with, he may be a couple years older than that. I definitely want to see more of Eduardo Dantas though. He's a serious prospect at 135, and only 22yrs old. Trains out of Nova Uniao with Aldo & others.

On a sidenote, I'm extremely pissed I will not be able to make it to the city for Sunday's card. :(

Edited by StillUnknown

On a sidenote, I'm extremely pissed I will not be able to make it to the city for Sunday's card. :(

Just bought my tickets online...it's pretty incredible that I'm making this event because for the last month or so I've been pissed because my fiancee informed me that we had a wedding to go to this weekend in North Carolina for one of her college friends that I barely know.

Well after several weeks of work I've managed to get her to stay here this weekend and now we're going to the event. :D

Can't wait!!!

I know DS is going, anyone else in here going to the card?

Joe Rogan's also doing a standup show at the Warner Theater on Friday, we might be going to that one too.