Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I can't believe how appaled Ranallo and Shammy were about the Draw. I had it a draw too.

10-9 Jardine + -1 Mousasi for the blatant low blow = 10-8 Jardine; 10-9 Mousasi; 10-9 Mousasi: 28-28= Draw

I thought that the Daley stoppage was premature. Even had a thought McCarthy was trying to get in Dana's good graces by ending Daley's night early... Crazy fight. Glad to see the better man win.

Damn! I didn't think Diaz would whip Daley's ass like that. Awesome finish :D

The bigger surprise is seeing Dana White wearing a Strikeforce shirt,

After this fight I don't think you can argue that Diaz isn't a top 5 (prob top 3) WW in the world. I'm glad Zuffa owns Strikeforce, I think Diaz can beat up most of the UFC's top 5 WWs.

Crazy ****.

Edited by #98QBKiller

Nick is just amazing at winding up and slamming the body with seemingly telegraphed punches. He wades in with his hands flailing out to the side, slaps a good combo in to the gut, gets his opponents to drop their hands, then comes over the top so surprisingly with a short hook that lands flush on his opponents cheek. A punch they simply do not see coming. He's been doing that same slick move to everyone for the past 4 years. You could see Daley confused and losing confidence after a few of those punches he just didn't see coming.

Nick is fearless in the cage. Coming out and immediately taunting such a bruiser? He dropped his damn hands and walked forward for a few moments in the middle of the round. That super gritty attitude that he carries with him in to triathlons translates so well towards his fighting style.

Very hard to finish. Love how he grabbed Paul's left wrist as Paul was attempting to finish the fight from the back. Nick kept his calm, first of all, which a good percentage of fighters just don't have the mindset to do. They freak out, turtle up, forget jiu jitsu. Nick's chin, endurance and tolerance for pain keeps his head in the game at all times. What great intangibles.

Nick sounded paranoid as hell and said he was getting "suspended" in an interview with Ariel Helwani after the fight. Does he mean for the post fight antics? Quite doubtful, as he's a huge draw for Strikeforce, and it wasn't that big of a deal, IMO. Sounds like he wants a lot of time off. Can't really think of anyone in Strikeforce that has been waiting in line for a title shot at Welterweight. Give him a vacation, see if you can't scoot him over to the UFC perhaps.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Big props to the Dean of Mean for squeaking out a draw with Gayguard. If he'd been able to actually train for that fight he may have shocked us all.

Nick Diaz continues to amaze me and remind me why he's my fave. He always beats his opponent at their own game and he never breaks character. :)

El Nino is so for real. I'm dying to see him vs. guys like Maynard/Edgar or maybe even KenFlo/Faber if he ends up at 145.

I can't believe how appaled Ranallo and Shammy were about the Draw. I had it a draw too.

10-9 Jardine + -1 Mousasi for the blatant low blow = 10-8 Jardine; 10-9 Mousasi; 10-9 Mousasi: 28-28= Draw

I personally hate how much a takedown has influence over a fight. Jardine took him down 4 times, but did nothing else at all in the fight, which mousasi t'd off on his face.

I thought that the Daley stoppage was premature. Even had a thought McCarthy was trying to get in Dana's good graces by ending Daley's night early... Crazy fight. Glad to see the better man win.

I scored the first round 9-9

Jardine got some takedowns, but he didn't do a damn thing with them, and Mousasi lit him up on the feet.

As a fan, I'm still kinda disappointed that Mousasi showed no improvement in his takedown defense. He'll never get close to the UFC belt until he drastically improves that area of his game

the punch that drops daley.

Nice, Pat. I checked the longer gif of this sequence (also provide by you in "teh gifs") and I think I see that Diaz was also able to work in a short knee to the face of Daley before he went down in drunk fashion. Does anyone else see this? I hadn't noticed it last night. We see Nick put him in the low clinch but the knee is semi-hidden in the video angle.

1111111111111.gif

00000000000.gif

Nice, Pat. I checked the longer gif of this sequence (also provide by you in "teh gifs") and I think I see that Diaz was also able to work in a short knee to the face of Daley before he went down in drunk fashion. Does anyone else see this? I hadn't noticed it last night. We see Nick put him in the low clinch but the knee is semi-hidden in the video angle.

yea you cant see it from the angle on the video they used. I saw him landing those short knees from the clinch earlier in the fight too I was surprised to see diaz play him at his own game with the knees lol.

Edited by Patrick86L

I personally hate how much a takedown has influence over a fight. Jardine took him down 4 times, but did nothing else at all in the fight, which mousasi t'd off on his face.

I thought Jardine dectiated enough of the first round to win it. It was close though.

What really drove me crazy was that at the start of the third Ranallo and Shammy were talking about how close the first round was and that it could have gone either way. Then they turn around and start screaming that it was one of the worst decisions they have ever seen. :ols:

Mousasi just seemed lazy in the first. I guess he thought he would walk right through Jardine. He didn't turn it on until the second.

I've experienced that same delayed reaction Daley did, at least I think so. Back in high school I was simply sparring with a friend, got in a mode where I was trying to dodge all his punches (got ****y, more or less) and took a shot flush to the face. I'm not Roy Jones Jr., in case you guys were wondering. For the next second I began and finished what mind had already planned to do. I threw a 2 punch combo after being hit. After the combo, I tried to take a step forward but my foot somehow found its way two feet over to the left, I was rocked but it took a second to register. Too bad there's not a gif of this.

To this day I can't believe how delayed the reaction was from the point of impact to the point I started to actually feel it. I was dizzy for a good 3 or 4 minutes, it was crucial, but for some reason, for a second after I was hit, I didn't really feel it. Daley was very bad off, from what I saw. The stoppage may have been able to use another second or two, but Daley was in the twilight zone for sure. He needed help back to the stool and he would have for sure been about 30% "there" for at least the first couple minutes of round 2. He tried to play it off and looked like he was complaining about the stoppage, but he was right at the point where you barely aren't knocked out.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

This really makes me wonder if say Jake Shields had never signed with UFC a few months back, would it be in fact Nick Diaz getting the title shot instead. Assuming Zuffa was willing to put on a crossover match this quickly, but to those who say they wouldn't, I think Melendez has certainly pushed the door open and kind of demanded it...haha.

Shields may very well be a better fighter than Diaz right now, but I think Diaz vs. GSP would easily sell more tickets and bring in much more pre-fight hype. Also, if Shields does pull off the impossible and submits GSP on the 30th, then you basically have two of the top WWs saying they won't fight each other. Diaz is 10-0 in his last 10 fights. They can keep him fighting in Strikeforce for now, but unless Dana is willing to let UFC guys fight Diaz, the Strikeforce WW division could be running thin on talent that is quality enough to give Diaz a good challenge.

I think with BJ stepping out of his next bout (the one Fitch already stepped out of), there is perfect time to set up Diaz-Penn.

That would be my favorite matchup both can bang, both have great chins and both are BJJ black belts. I'd still put my money on BJ to win the fight but it would end up being a very entertaining standup war.

Nick is one of my favorite fighters to watch because he fights. But the reality is he is'nt gonna beat the top tier WW in the UFC consistently enough to be a champion. The level of competition from Daley, KJ Noons,Cyborg,Mayhem,Scott Smith's of the world is alot different then fighting Fitch,BJ, KOS,Alves etc.

That would be my favorite matchup both can bang, both have great chins and both are BJJ black belts. I'd still put my money on BJ to win the fight but it would end up being a very entertaining standup war.

Nick is one of my favorite fighters to watch because he fights. But the reality is he is'nt gonna beat the top tier WW in the UFC consistently enough to be a champion. The level of competition from Daley, KJ Noons,Cyborg,Mayhem,Scott Smith's of the world is alot different then fighting Fitch,BJ, KOS,Alves etc.

The question though is: Is Nick Diaz actually not good enough, or has he just not shown it yet? Watching Anderson Silva in Pride, no one would have guessed he would have ended up as the unstoppable badass he ended up being in UFC.

Nick hasn't got the opportunity to prove it yet, but everytime the competition level steps up, he sure answers the question. Also, as the competition steps up, he probably will have the opportunity to bring in an even more well-rounded roster of coaches and sparring opponents to round out his game even more. If you ask me, that is the bigger X-factor as to how far Nick Diaz can go at becoming a better fighter.

So who would Diaz face next hypothetically? I can't think of anyone in Strikeforce off the top of my head, so maybe GSP regardless of if he wins or loses? What are the odds, since they are bros, that Diaz will fight Shields?

Edited by styx491

I think with BJ stepping out of his next bout (the one Fitch already stepped out of), there is perfect time to set up Diaz-Penn.

This is a great idea IMO. Kind of a dangerous fight for BJ though considering that his record has been rocky recently.

I honestly think that Diaz would win, they have a very similar skill set but Diaz is younger and hungrier.

Like I said above, I think Diaz would win that fight. But I agree about the UFC WW division. Wrestlers are a bad matchup for Diaz. Maybe a fight with Woodley would be good to see how he fares against that style. Woodley's a pretty good wrestler but he's not at the level of GSP/Koscheck/Fitch. I would be interested to see Diaz against a guy with good takedowns though because he really does have one of the best guards in MMA.

Don't forget Mayhem and Smith were at 185.

---------- Post added April-11th-2011 at 12:43 PM ----------

i think he loses to Paul Daley to be honest

Daley has no ground game, but Diaz's wrestling isn't that great and i just dont see him lasting long on the feet against Semtex

:pfft: