Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Did anyone hear that its official...Hughes vs St Pierre April 7th ...Montreal CANADA!

Yes, it's true. The funny thing is that St. Pierre has a fight against Serra before that. I guess there's no hiding the fact that St. Pierre is going to destroy him. :laugh:

Source: Mirko "Cro Cop" Chooses UFC

Options: Email Article | Printer Friendly

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

by Jeff Sherwood and Josh Gross

Reigning PRIDE Open-Weight Grand Prix champion Mirko Filipovic (Pictures) has apparently decided to bolster the ranks of the UFC heavyweight division, a source inside the Croatian's camp informed Sherdog.com Wednesday.

Rumors have buzzed of Filipovic's departure from PRIDE since his official Web site reported in recent days that he would not fight on the Japanese promoter's year-end card.

Filipovic, the No. 2 heavyweight in the world behind PRIDE champion Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures), would make an immediate impact on a division that has long been considered among the weakest in the UFC. Terms are not known, but it's expected Fillipovic, 32, could sign one of the most expensive multi-fight deals in UFC history.

A former K-1 star, "Cro Cop" moved from kickboxing to mixed martial arts in 2001, and has since amassed in impressive 21-4-2 record. His biggest accomplishment in MMA occurred just last September, when the Fighter of the Year candidate stopped Wanderlei Silva (Pictures) and Josh Barnett (Pictures) on the same night to capture PRIDE's Grand Prix crown.

It was believed tournament victory would secure Filipovic a second crack at Emelianenko, whom the Croatian lost to by decision in epic August 2005 clash.

Filipovic's four losses have come against Emelianenko, former K-1 World Grand Prix champion Mark Hunt (Pictures), a shocking knockout against former UFC heavyweight champion Kevin Randleman (Pictures) and by submission in a classic battle against former PRIDE heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures).

"Cro Cop" is renowned for his striking skills, which features a devastating left high kick that is responsible for highlight-reel victories against the likes of Silva, Igor Vovchanchyn (Pictures) and Aleksander Emelianenko (Pictures).

The super-striker would immediately vault to the top of the contender list for Tim Sylvia (Pictures)'s UFC heavyweight belt, should the "Maine-iac," who is currently renegotiating his contract with the Las Vegas-based promoter, remain with the organization.

There has been some discussion inside the UFC that "Cro Cop," who was not under contract to PRIDE, would make his cage-fighting debut versus Jake O'Brien (Pictures), a young, undefeated fighter whose strength is on the mat.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=6352

Exactly. They are just that. Rumors.

Apparently they were MORE than rumors. :rolleyes:

Tonight's fights were okay. I can't believe Diego knocked Riggs out in the first. That was crazy! They both landed solid shots at the same time, and Diego didn't even flinch, while Riggs dropped. That was incredible.

Koscheck's fight was pretty bad. His standup is not that much improved, despite the praise from Joe Rogan. He was getting clocked standing up, and he would return with haymakers. It's a good thing he's one of the best (if not the best) wrestlers in the UFC. I think Diego can STILL take him though.

It's pretty much in the bag, CC is going to the UFC!!!

Fedor vs Silvia is no match, Fedor would destroy Tim in the first round.

But CC vs Tim should be a great match.

Before I thought that CC would utterly kill Tim, but I don't think it's going to be a one sided fight.

Tim is good at countering, especially countering people's leg kicks. Unless CC hurts Tim with his leg kicks, he is going to get hit every time he tries to kick.

CC has way better ring movement, he will be hard to hit if he keeps moving.

Energy is another factor.

CC was out of energy by the second round with Fedor.

If Tim can take the fight into the later rounds, he might just pull out an upset.

I got my money on CC, and I expect him to deliver a lot of body shots.

It's pretty much in the bag, CC is going to the UFC!!!

Fedor vs Silvia is no match, Fedor would destroy Tim in the first round.

But CC vs Tim should be a great match.

Before I thought that CC would utterly kill Tim, but I don't think it's going to be a one sided fight.

Tim is good at countering, especially countering people's leg kicks. Unless CC hurts Tim with his leg kicks, he is going to get hit every time he tries to kick.

CC has way better ring movement, he will be hard to hit if he keeps moving.

Energy is another factor.

CC was out of energy by the second round with Fedor.

If Tim can take the fight into the later rounds, he might just pull out an upset.

I got my money on CC, and I expect him to deliver a lot of body shots.

Tim is definitley untested, let's just say that. I think Cro Cop will actually stun Tim standing up. I don't think Sylvia can stop his hand speed. Cro Cop is great at picking his spots with the leg. He will definitley finish hand combos with a kick or delayed-kick, which are blasphemous, and always threaten to end a fight.

Tim can throw nice counter-straights, and he will peg you on your way out, too. Which always gets his opponents thinking if they want to come in again. I don't know about Cro Cops jaw. Never really seen him take any haymakers. I know his fight with Fedor was a war, and that HAS to be saying something. Given that Fedor is probably the best pound for pound aggressive striker MMA has seen.

Fedor is a pit bull, and virtually all of his fights have been against people taller than him. But nobody as tall as Sylvia. Sylvia knows how to use his defense and punish you with his very long reach. But I see Fedor landing 2 body shots and Sylvia, after all the training, manages to underestimate him still.

It's all speculation. Nothing is confirmed yet.

Don't ever site freakin' Sherdog.com as your source ever again.

Number one, don't ever tell me what to CITE or not CITE. If you have anything to add to the discussion, then add it, instead of being an arrogant prick. Again, nobody has said anything is set in stone. But there is certainly more than rumors if two sites, regardless of who those two sites are, have it on their front page. In addition, Mirko has not stated publicly that he is not going to UFC. The only thing he disputed are the figures involved in the contract. I don't think he has totally made up his mind yet, but there's definitely a chance.

Number one, don't ever tell me what to CITE or not CITE. If you have anything to add to the discussion, then add it, instead of being an arrogant prick. Again, nobody has said anything is set in stone. But there is certainly more than rumors if two sites, regardless of who those two sites are, have it on their front page. In addition, Mirko has not stated publicly that he is not going to UFC. The only thing he disputed are the figures involved in the contract. I don't think he has totally made up his mind yet, but there's definitely a chance.

Like I have said a billion times, it is all speculation.:rolleyes:

MMAweekly gets its "info" from rumors in Sherdog forums. I'll believe it when I see it in UFC.com.

The Diego Sanchez fight produced an incredible knockout but I wish I could have seen a little bit more in order to decide whether I think Diego's striking has improved. He took a major shot from Riggs pretty well although it clearly hurt him (maybe broke his nose?) and delivered a solid strike in return but in the opening seconds he looked tentative. If I were Sanchez I would take one more tune-up fight before I ask for a title shot. He should continue to work on his striking, improve, fight someone who would force him to work and keep it competitive like Frank Trigg or Josh Burkman and maybe even consider a rematch with Riggs. One more fight and I feel like he is ready. I give the man his due, he has continually defeated quality opposition; Nick Diaz is a good boxer whose well versed in BJJ, John Alessio is a tough striker, and Karo Parisyian is a real good fighter. Despite a decent resume I think a little more work is necessary for Sanchez to become a great fighter and challenge for the belt.

CroCop coming to the UFC? That's something!

Sherdog.com isn't a bad source - they have some good information and some cool information. I think the forums just become a little silly with the PRIDE vs UFC debates.

I look forward to the UFC HW division becoming a bit more exciting.

The Diego Sanchez fight produced an incredible knockout but I wish I could have seen a little bit more in order to decide whether I think Diego's striking has improved. He took a major shot from Riggs pretty well although it clearly hurt him (maybe broke his nose?) and delivered a solid strike in return but in the opening seconds he looked tentative. If I were Sanchez I would take one more tune-up fight before I ask for a title shot. He should continue to work on his striking, improve, fight someone who would force him to work and keep it competitive like Frank Trigg or Josh Burkman and maybe even consider a rematch with Riggs. One more fight and I feel like he is ready. I give the man his due, he has continually defeated quality opposition; Nick Diaz is a good boxer whose well versed in BJJ, John Alessio is a tough striker, and Karo Parisyian is a real good fighter. Despite a decent resume I think a little more work is necessary for Sanchez to become a great fighter and challenge for the belt.

I think your assessment is dead on. I think he'd work a Frank Trigg type opponent at this point (no disrespect to Trigg). In my opinion, I think he should fight Penn next for the number one contender spot. GSP is fighting Serra soon, and then has the rematch with Hughes. Whoever wins the Penn vs Sanchez fight should get the next title shot.........Honestly, I think Penn would probably beat Diego, but he's pretty much destroyed everyone he's faced (except Karo, that was a GREAT fight). I don't think Diego needs any more warm ups, it's time for him to fight the top at his weight class. Besides, he's still young. One loss won't mean all that much.

I think BJ would beat Diego and think he'll be the top competition for GSP.. But i read BJ is going to 155lbs where he'll rule.. I think a in shape BJ can beat about anyone and will give GSP a war in a rematch..

I also read today on ufc.com in 1 of the articules that Dana White had mentioned Diego vs Hughes this spring so we'll see.. I don't like that fight much for Diego either.. Honestly i think Karo could beat him if they fought again he was gasping early and seemed outta shape..

I also read where Koscheck was talking serious smack about the practice match for the show where he fought Diego he said he knew nothing and still almost won saying he'd destroy him now and wants the shot..

I think Diego needs a few more matches before he jumps up in comp..

Herd called Tito "Ortitez" :laugh:

Calls Chuck a rockstar and compares his popularity to Ali or Frazier

Chuck tells him that it isn;t just old men recognizing him at the mall anymore

Whats he thinking right before the fight?

"fight is reward for all the training"

Nothing really noteworthy to recap. No mention of Rampage. Just a sell job on the ppv.

Pretty weak interview for fans of the sport, but in Herd's defense he sounds like he is just trying to intro the sport to his fans.

Right after the interview and the segment leading up to the interview Herd was talking about how the media needs to wake up and cover this sport. Mentioned that it beat the World Series in head-to-head ratings. Even mentioned that ESPN is dropping the ball on this. That the media that isn't covering it thinks they are too smart for it.

Cool to hear MMA on ESPN finally. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come. It sounded like Herd is going to make time for it on his show. Thats a start. I used to listen to these guys all day at work, and hosts start feeeding off each others topics throughout the day.

Thanks for the heads up. Not a particularly good interview, but riddle me this: If ESPN is too good for the UFC (and other MMA org's), then why do they show K-1?

I say the hell with the media. They're really not needed. It's nice not to have a bunch of talking heads trying to convince you of how you should perceive something.

I say the hell with the media. They're really not needed. It's nice not to have a bunch of talking heads trying to convince you of how you should perceive something.

Thats a great point. Sometimes I wish ESPN didn't cover the NFL. I am so sick of their commentators.

I hope Tito loses so Rampage-Chuck 2 will be for the belt.

Regardless of whether or not Chuck loses, I think we'll see Rampage vs Chuck II. However, I don't think Tito has much of a chance of beating Chuck, so we'll probably see it for the belt as well.

Chuck vs Tito 2 is going to be a great match.

Watching Tito over the years I can't help but think "man you are one dumb fighter".

But I just have this feeling that he has learned from other fighters like CroCop, Fedor and GSP.

I have a big feeling that his stand up is greatly improved, a long with his submission skills.

Before he never did submissions or stand up, he just relied on ground and pound.

But he has huge respect for Chuck, and that respect will make a person wise up.

This is it for Tito, it's do or die and he needs this where Chuck can easily afford a lost without hurting his career.

Tito loses and his chances for being a champion again are over.

I think Tito will take down Chuck, and when Chuck does his normal escape, Tito will unleash a flurry of strikes.

Tito wins.

Chuck vs Tito 2 is going to be a great match.

Watching Tito over the years I can't help but think "man you are one dumb fighter".

But I just have this feeling that he has learned from other fighters like CroCop, Fedor and GSP.

I have a big feeling that his stand up is greatly improved, a long with his submission skills.

Before he never did submissions or stand up, he just relied on ground and pound.

But he has huge respect for Chuck, and that respect will make a person wise up.

This is it for Tito, it's do or die and he needs this where Chuck can easily afford a lost without hurting his career.

Tito loses and his chances for being a champion again are over.

I think Tito will take down Chuck, and when Chuck does his normal escape, Tito will unleash a flurry of strikes.

Tito wins.

How can Tito's chances be over? He's in his early 30's. He is a great ground & pounder. He's fighting for the championship belt and losing might drop him out of title contention for a year maybe. I predict we'll see Tito vs. Chuck 3 within the next 2 years.

As for the fight, Tito can't handle Chuck's takedown defense. Tito will shoot and get popped by Chuck or Chuck will bury it with his incredible takedown defense.

Chuck is the greatest counter-striker in MMA today. Tito is a shoot fighter. Bad matchup for Tito. He'll get popped coming in all day, or he'll have to trade with Chuck from the outside. If they trade standing up the whole fight, Chuck will be the clear winner of the decision.

Watch for Tito to be indecisive and caught for a split-second on his heels. Chuck is very good at reading his opponents actions, and will capitalize with big combos.

Chuck winner by K.O. in 3rd.