Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arrington or Halpern? Who had biggest affect.

playboy1972

After Halpern was signed by the Dallas Stars, I was trying to figure out who had a bigger impact on their team, "on the ice or on the field". And I came to the conclusion that Halpern had a larger, more positive affect on the success of the Caps than did Arrington for the Skins. Arrington had all the fan fare but Halpern was in the center of a playoff appearance early in his career and Arrington had just provided hope but no results. Does anyone feel the same or am I just a biter Redskin fan who never really felt Arrington never could live up to the hype.

I am sad to see Halpern go. All in all, I guess he had more of a positive impact on the Capitals than Arrington did for the Redskins. Being in WA, I'm not a Caps season-ticket holder, but I'd seriously think about cancelling my season tickets if I had them because the team didn't seem to make much of an effort to keep the hometown kid made good, the only Maryland native in the NHL, the team captain. I have been a devoted Caps fan since my youth but I'm very unhappy to see Halpern let go. Wasn't it enough for them to cast aside Peter Bondra, then let him go to Atlanta rather than bringing him back last year? Sigh.

Well, I think neither one will have big impact on the either team. The Skins were fine wth out Arrington (see last 2 injury plagued seasons with out him). Whereas with the CAPS, well, they are crap regardless if Halpern is in there or not. I'm a diehard Caps fan don't get me wrong, but what they did to Bondra and Halpern is just crazy. I mean we re-sign an aging Kolzig to a 3 year deal but we can't keep the younger Center? What happened to the we're going to be more active this offseason that we heard Leonsis say last year? Oh, well, guess we'll at least get a top draft pick next year.

Well since Halpern and Willse are both gone that cuts out about 30% of the caps total offense from last season right?

Its sad to see them go but im not too worried... Someone had to go to give way of all the 1st round prospects getting some ice time...

With Alex Semin coming back and this years draft Niklas Backstrom, im not too worried

I dont know about hockey but i do know that unless Halpern sat out the majority of the last two years then he is more valuable than lavar. This team completely transitioned for the better under Gibbs and Lavar was unable to follow suit. As bad as he claimed he wanted to win, once soon as the team began to turn the corner, Lavar didn't fit into the puzzle. Doesnt sound like that is the case for Halpern.

:ciao: Lavar. He talked the talk, but was all about him and not the team. Halpern on the other hand, will definitely be missed. Leonsis, should have done more to keep him. I heard it wasn't about the money, so who knows. Just can't believe he actually went to the DALLAS STARS. :doh: We definitely should have tried harder to keep him in DC. Let's hope our replacements come in and play hard. I'll be happy then.

Ummm, I don't know much about hockey. It took me a minute even to figure out who the heck this Helpbum is. That being said, I must admit that Lavar Arrington did have an impact aside from selling jerseys.

LA was a monster in his prime. He hit guys and they didn't get back up. It was his hit that almost broke Ironman Brett Favre's streak, and Troy Aikman never played again after a Lavar Arrington hit. Lavar also delivered two critical interceptions as a Washington Redskins. The first turned an 0-5 season arond, the second helped secure a playoff victory early. If nothing else, those were impact plays.

Sadly, he couldn't be that effective consistently enough to justify his contract, especially after his injury. He was in bad shape late in his tenure, and he was being paid much more than his production warranted. After he started to publicly criticize the organization, which has been successfully emphasizing a team-first attitude, the writing was on the wall. I was certain he would be gone after he gave that interview to the Post. In the end, he just wasn't worth the paycheck or the headache.

However, I have to say Lavar had the bigger impact, since I haven't even heard of the other guy. Do they still play hockey? I thought they all quit last year.

Archived