Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dream Theater tribute to 911

Mickalino

I don't know if this was brought up before, it's kind of hard to search something like this, but Dream Theater recorded a really cool song as a tribute to 9/11, it's called Sacrificed Sons. I think I have a new man-crush now, on James LaBrie of Dream Theater, replacing Scott Stapp. Here's the lyrics to that song

Walls are closing

Anxiously

Channel surfing

Frantically

Burning City

Smoke and fire

Planes we're certain

Faith inspired

No clues

A complete surprise

Who'll be

Coming home tonight

Heads all turning

Towards the sky

Towers crumble

Heroes die

Who would wish this on our people

And proclaim that His will be done

Scriptures they heed have misled them

All praise their Sacrificed Sons

Teach them

What to think and feel

Your ways

So enlightening

Words they preach

I can't relate

If God's true Love

Are acts of Hate

Who would wish this on our people

And proclaim that His will be done

Scriptures they heed have misled them

God on High

Our mistakes

Will mankind be extinct?

There's no time, time to waste

Who serves the truth

For Heavens' sake

yellowcard also released a song in tribute to september 11th, or at least im pretty sure its about sept 11. the song is "believe"

here are the lyrics.

Think about the love inside the strength of heart

Think about the heroes saving life in the dark

Climbing higher through the fire, time was running out

Never knowing you weren't going to be coming down alive

But you still came back for me

You were strong and you believed

Everything is gonna be alright

Be strong. Believe.

Be strong. Believe.

Think about the chance I never had to say

Thank you for giving up your life that day

Never fearing, only hearing voices calling out

Let it all go, the life that you know, just to bring it down alive

And you still came back for me

You were strong and you believed

Be strong. Believe.

(Again today, we take into our hearts and minds those who perished on this site one year ago, and also those who came to toil in the rubble to bring order out of chaos, to help us make sense of our despair)

Wanna hold my wife when I get home

Wanna tell the kids they'll never know how much I love to see them smile

Wanna make a change or two right now

Wanna live a life like you somehow

Wanna make your sacrifice worthwhile

Be strong. Believe.

Be strong. Believe.

Think about the love inside the strength of heart

Think about the heroes saving life in the dark

Think about the chance I never had to say

Thank you for giving up your life that day

(The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here)

.but they look like something someone down at the Rec Center creative writing class whipped up.

You could say that about most music coming out today.

But you couldn't say that about most Dream Theater music.

Musical and lyrical creativity is a lost art.

• 2 months later...
I have always wondered what it would be like if dream theater had a different singer. Labrie may be able to write lyrics... but i cant stand most of his singing. Reguardless' date=' dream theater is amazing.[/quote']

Why can't you stand his singing ?

I feel the opposite.

I cannot imagine that band WITHOUT LaBrie

you can say that about every dream theater song

Yeah, you can, just, that song appealed more to me as the riffs were heavier and whatnot.

Why can't you stand his singing ?

I feel the opposite.

I cannot imagine that band WITHOUT LaBrie

LaBrie is not the greatest singer out there, he is certainly good, but not great. I would love to see Geddy Lee guest with Dream Theater one time or something. LaBrie I guess is getting old, ever since the Metropolis Pt. 2 DVD, his range has been failing. It was evident in the DVD's "Live at Budokan" and in their latest dvd "Score". Either way, you could do a lot worse, and I would agree with your last statement, he still fits and I could not imagine the band w/o Labrie. He's still a great stuido vocalist, just not as crisp live.

LaBrie is not the greatest singer out there, he is certainly good, but not great. I would love to see Geddy Lee guest with Dream Theater one time or something. LaBrie I guess is getting old, ever since the Metropolis Pt. 2 DVD, his range has been failing. It was evident in the DVD's "Live at Budokan" and in their latest dvd "Score". Either way, you could do a lot worse, and I would agree with your last statement, he still fits and I could not imagine the band w/o Labrie. He's still a great stuido vocalist, just not as crisp live.

How can you say LaBrie is getting old, then go on to suggest that Geddy Lee would sound better with them ?

Geddy is 53 and his voice is showing his age, while LaBrie is only 43.

LaBrie has never been good live, IMHO. He's flat even more that Maynard and has that annoying tone like he's singing from the back of his throat rather than his torso. It makes half his words blur together and annoys the hell out of me. Their lyrics were borderline laugable on Metropolis:II, although I think (despite blatantly ripping off Queensryche to open the album) it's their strongest effort.

How can you say LaBrie is getting old, then go on to suggest that Geddy Lee would sound better with them ?

Geddy is 53 and his voice is showing his age, while LaBrie is only 43.

I guess I haven't listened to Geddy lately. However, fine, Ill give another, Bruce Dickinson. Now, if you saw Rock in Rio, which im sure you have, you would agree that he is not losing anything vocal wise, heh. That man is flat out insane with his vocals despite being in his 50s.

I still thought that Live Scenes From New York was their best effort as well, though Score was also pretty good. Budokan didn't impress me, and neither did 5 Years in a Livetime (now that would probably be LaBrie's worst recorded and released effort).

Agreed though with ya Ntotoro, LaBrie has never been great live, but LSFNY and Score were pretty decent overall. Such an awesome studio guy though!

I have always wondered what it would be like if dream theater had a different singer. Labrie may be able to write lyrics... but i cant stand most of his singing. Reguardless' date=' dream theater is amazing.[/quote']

Geoff Tate.

Archived