Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sirius NFL Radio: (LeMar Marshall) 7/7/06

kappaluvacee

Here is a summary of the interview with Lamar Marshall on Sirius Satellite Radio’s “Afternoon Blitz” hosted by Solomon Willcotts and Brian McGovern… Enjoy!

Lamar stated off talking about how good he feels. He says he has been relaxing and catching his sleep before Camp begins.

Q1 (Soloman Willcotts): I like what you guys have been doing defensively. Tell me about the addition of Jerry Gray will mean to the club.

With all of our coaches, we have a lot of experience. This should be another exciting year with the addition of Jerry. We want to be the #1 defense this year.

Q2 Tell us about what makes Greg Williams so great?

Right now it’s his pockets (kidding) Gregg is so great because he knows how to get the most out of his players and what motivation each player needs.

Q3(pat): Lamar tell the listeners why they shouldn’t put so much stock in the numbers of sacks vs. turnovers.

We would love to have more sacks, but teams run three-step drops against us to negate our blitz/pass rush. That affects our sack ability. We get lots of tips because of the fast drops which lead to turnovers.

Q4 (Brian): Lamar, you had four picks last season. Tell us why you are so good at pass defense.

I played corner and some safety in college so those skills have never left me. This defense allows me to use those skills.

Q5 (SW): In the Redzone what is it that you do which makes you come alive down there.

Teams only run certain patterns in the Redzone. I use route recognition to get into the correct position to make plays.

Q6 (SW) Lamar, You were undrafted and made this team, same as Antonio Pierce. What does that do to you as a player?

Being undrafted makes you understand what the outside world can be like. You must work hard and make plays to remain on the field.

Q7 (SW) How were you guys able to make plays last season in the absence if Lavar Arrington. What do you say to the people that wonder how will you make it without him?

We would have loved to have LA on the field last season, but the game must be played with or without one player. There are 11 guys on the field. Our rotation is strong and we keep it moving.

Q8 (Brian) Talk about the other defensive additions the team made this season.

Andre Carter is a freak of nature and Adam Archuletta has good experience and knowledge of the position.

Q9 (SW): Talk about the NFC East. How do you see it stacking up.

I was just talking about that last week. I think we are the best division top to bottom. It’ll be real tough. The Cowboys and skins is always a good game. The Giants have addressed some team needs on Defense. We’re not worried about the other teams, we’re just about getting better over here.

Q10 (SW): Who’s going to start at Weakside LB?

If there was a game today, it would be Warrick Holdman. He has picked up his play and he looks real good this offseason. Rocky Mcintosh is real good. His talent is showing. You know why he was drafted in the second round.

Q11 (Brian) Who’s more fiery, Williams or Gray?

Gray is a comedian. Williams is serious and will get under you at any time. Gray is an excellent teacher. Williams is a teacher, motivator, and disciplinarian.

Q13 (SW): What did this team learn from the post season last year?

Adding Al Saunders is what we learned. The Offensive guys are telling us that he believes in taking what the defense gives him. Teams will not be able to run a scheme against him. They will have to match witts with him. There are too many weapons this year. A team will not be able to score 14 points and think they can win the game if they milk the clock.

Q14 (SW) What have you seen from the new offense that might be different from 1 year ago?

We have a lot more playmakers with the new WR’s and Saunders plans to spread the ball around. The New WR’s are great. The weapons are all around. Last year teams were focusing on Cooley and Santana to stop the passing game, then they would load the box against Portis.

Q15 (Brian): What happens with Owens and Dallas?

I’m not sure, but Dallas is Parcells’ team. He better make it work. I don’t think it’ll be a problem. To tell you the truth I’m not worried about other teams. Just us! All teams in the division are pretty tough, but I would give Dallas the edge for the team in the division that I think may present the biggest challenge. No disrespect to any of the other teams.

Q16 (SW): I think it’s all about the coaches in the division.

You are right, every team in the division is well coached and the teams will be prepared. It will be a fight every game.

End of the interview!

Wow. What a pro. He couldn't have sounded any better in that interview. I'm going to have to break down and get Sirius radio just for Wilcox's show. My bro has XM and he likes it, but it seems like the NFL coverage is much better on Sirius. I don't know how Gregg found someone like Lemar after it seemed like we won the undrafted linebacker lottery with Antonio, but he's done it again. Lemar has really stepped up as a leader on the defense and I don't think we missed a beat losing Antonio to the G-men.

I really do hate them for poaching 2 of our linebackers though. G-men D is no joke this year. Then they had to get Santana's little bro cause #89 toasted them late in the season. Coughlin wishes he was Joe Gibbs. :gaintsuck

Were you refferring to my question about Carters bodyfat?

Yes I was, my bad. There was a link somewhere on Extremeskins that took me to some video's of comcast sports and it had an interview with a few Redskins. Phillip Daniels, and someone I couldnt recognize off hand, but more then one person commented on how his physique was abnormal and that he had something rediculous like less then 5% body fat. Thats when the Kearse reference came up. its somewhere on here.

It was the same video footage of interviews with Carter, Patten, Lloyd, and Saunders. Ill keep looking.

Yes I was, my bad. There was a link somewhere on Extremeskins that took me to some video's of comcast sports and it had an interview with a few Redskins. Phillip Daniels, and someone I couldnt recognize off hand, but more then one person commented on how his physique was abnormal and that he had something rediculous like less then 5% body fat. Thats when the Kearse reference came up. its somewhere on here.

It was the same video footage of interviews with Carter, Patten, Lloyd, and Saunders. Ill keep looking.

Yes.. Its on the comcast sports net website.

I'm excited that Marshall has spoken highly of Holdman. That says two things:

1. Holdman will play much better

2. Teammates will have more confidence in his play so as to not miss their own assignments.

don't forget:

3) Rocky McIntosh must be dang good since he is going to start over Warrick :cool:

I was wondering, has there EVER been a guy who primarily played Cornerback and some Safety in D1 college who then excelled as a Middle Linebacker in the NFL?

Is Lemar the first? I'd have to think so... the math just doesn't add up:

College + Lemar = Cornerback

NFL + Lemar = Middle Linebacker :wtf:

I think he was serious. Tim Ryan (Former 49'er) said the same thing about him on his show last week.

He really has like 3.8% body fat, thats what I heard. Lemar was probably being dumb.

Its like an urban legend tall tale.

Still 3.8% at 275 pounds is pretty damn unbelievable.

Plus he has like a 41 inch standing vertical leap - the guy is a monster and we get to be the beneficiaries of the spinal cyst being removed from his back finally being healed.

:applause:

don't forget:

3) Rocky McIntosh must be dang good since he is going to start over Warrick :cool:

I was wondering, has there EVER been a guy who primarily played Cornerback and some Safety in D1 college who then excelled as a Middle Linebacker in the NFL?

Is Lemar the first? I'd have to think so... the math just doesn't add up:

College + Lemar = Cornerback

NFL + Lemar = Middle Linebacker :wtf:

In answer to your question Brian Urlacher comes to mind.The guy played db a good part of his college career.

Q13 (SW): What did this team learn from the post season last year?

Adding Al Saunders is what we learned. A team will not be able to score 14 points and think they can win the game if they milk the clock.

Unwritten message to the league, " Game on ****ES!!!!! ". :D

Archived