Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you know about cars?

Alright so I was just on my way home, and while I was driving my car made this popping sound (almost like it was backfiring) and from that point started to slowly die. I pulled off to the side of the road and when I stopped the car, it just cut off. I waited a little bit, tried it again, and after a bit of choking it started up. But then it cut back off. From that point on it just kept choking up, and it seemed like it was having a hard time turning over.

I was thinking maybe it could have been spark plugs, but then again I'm not extremely knowledgeable with cars.

So if you could help me out, that would be appreciated.

Also, before you say, "call a mechanic", I'm calling my mechanic, but I'm just trying to get some insight in the meantime.

I think you should ask Who Del what he did to your car...obviously he's sick of you just leaving him :silly:

I know I know....I can hear it comin'...your 2 most favorite words.

It's a '93 Honda Civic.

And X, get this. I tried to call Matt and he wasn't answering his phone, so I had to get Huly and HSF to pick me up ... which was fine by me. ;)

Oh yeah, X, you should join us in the chat where I can say my 2 favorite words without profanity filters.

And X, get this. I tried to call Matt and he wasn't answering his phone, so I had to get Huly and HSF to pick me up ... which was fine by me. ;)

Oh yeah, X, you should join us in the chat where I can say my 2 favorite words without profanity filters.

yeah that's definitely a much better taxi service.

too busy to spend the time in chat right now...ugh

It's a '93 Honda Civic.

It was tough getting to where Joe was. First, our short cut got closed so we had to make a U turn, go down another way.

Then Joe was in an area where we couldn't veer to the right so I U turned-ILLEGALLY at one light.

Then I pass Joe and was going to illegally U turn again but there was a cop at the intersection.:doh:

While on the way, Huly and I got all red lights. Then we finally got a break in the last turn and finally arrived where Joe was.

First, people thought-POOR DUDE

Then when we pulled behind his car and got out, we got stares and "MAN I WISH THAT WERE ME".

So I figure I would put a sign on my car that says "911 ES RESCUE":D :silly:

It was tough getting to where Joe was. First' date=' our short cut got closed so we had to make a U turn, go down another way.

Then Joe was in an area where we couldn't veer to the right so I U turned-ILLEGALLY at one light.

Then I pass Joe and was going to illegally U turn again but there was a cop at the intersection.:doh:

While on the way, Huly and I got all red lights. Then we finally got a break in the last turn and finally arrived where Joe was.

First, people thought-POOR DUDE

Then when we pulled behind his car and got out, we got stares and "MAN I WISH THAT WERE ME".

So I figure I would put a sign on my car that says "911 ES RESCUE":D :silly:[/quote']

Wait a minute. I'm following you to the park tomorrow? In that case, I'll pack an extra $500 or so for traffic tickets/bribery. :laugh:

Could be...

catalytic converter clogged

Throtle posistion sensor

Timing belt

clogged fuel filter

worn or bad plug wires

That was my first thought....sounds like the fuel filter. It could also simply be you spark-plug wires, which you can change easily. Make sure there is no arching between your wires and the motor. That would severely screw up your engine's mojo. Although when that happened to mine, it never died on me, which is why I think its the fuel filter. Or worse, the fuel pump has died (~$800 compared to ~$100).

Well, I just got my car towed :doh: (look for a thread and pic/video documenting the experience). The guy who towed it started it up, and from the sounds of it, he seemed pretty sure that it was a timing belt issue. He said to check the fuel coil, just to be sure, but he seemed pretty sure about the timing belt.

The guy who towed it started it up, and from the sounds of it, he seemed pretty sure that it was a timing belt issue.

ahuh, who's the dumb ass now biatch :laugh:

oh yea j/k :rolleyes:

edit: hope you get your car fixed ok, sometimes when timing belts break

it can do a lot of damage to the valve train (bent pushrods and valves). but you pulled right over so it should be alright.

The Civic has a non-interference engine, so if the timing belt did break, it won't damage anything. Having said that...when timing belts break, the car just dies, plain and simple. It won't restart or even try to start. It will turn over forever, but never try to start. My guess would be fuel pump relay or fuel pump, or maybe a crank position sensor.

ahuh, who's the dumb ass now biatch :laugh:

oh yea j/k :rolleyes:

edit: hope you get your car fixed ok, sometimes when timing belts break

it can do a lot of damage to the valve train (bent pushrods and valves). but you pulled right over so it should be alright.

I was only saying dumbass to you assuming my car has 120k+ miles on it. :silly:

So, no! You don't win the thread.

The Civic has a non-interference engine, so if the timing belt did break, it won't damage anything. Having said that...when timing belts break, the car just dies, plain and simple. It won't restart or even try to start. It will turn over forever, but never try to start. My guess would be fuel pump relay or fuel pump, or maybe a crank position sensor.

ok so the belt slipped a couple teeth

Maybe, hard to diagnose without being there. My guess is something simpler though. I think Honda was still using a distributor in 93, my money's on a crank angle sensor, or maybe the dizzy itself.

Archived