Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

met mark schlereth yesterday

panthro

i'm in the denver airport on my way home yesterday when who should i see but mark schlereth. not nearly as big as what i would have expected for an o-lineman. not very tall (maybe 6'0") and about as big as a linebacker.

we start talking and i ask him what he thinks about the skins this year....

his response:

-we won the off-season free agency (again)

-brandon lloyd was a HUGE pick-up for us

-andre carter will pay off

-biggest question mark is the qb situation - he started quoting mark's stats from last year specifying that mark showed his age in the latter part of the season. what he failed to mention however was our difficulty with healthy receivers at the end of the season which translated into few touchdowns for mark. interesting... he did say that picking up todd collins was good.

real nice guy. he walked up to one of the shoe shine guys to say hi unsolicited - obviously a guy who shines his shoes frequently. he started to draw a crowd, so i started to inch away to head to my gate. he called me by name and said bye instead of just ignoring me. pretty solid guy.

i'm in the denver airport on my way home yesterday when who should i see but mark schlereth. not nearly as big as what i would have expected for an o-lineman. not very tall (maybe 6'0") and about as big as a linebacker.

we start talking and i ask him what he thinks about the skins this year....

his response:

-we won the off-season free agency (again)

-brandon lloyd was a HUGE pick-up for us

-andre carter will pay off

-biggest question mark is the qb situation - he started quoting mark's stats from last year specifying that mark showed his age in the latter part of the season. what he failed to mention however was our difficulty with healthy receivers at the end of the season which translated into few touchdowns for mark. interesting... he did say that picking up todd collins was good.

real nice guy. he walked up to one of the shoe shine guys to say hi unsolicited - obviously a guy who shines his shoes frequently. he started to draw a crowd, so i started to inch away to head to my gate. he called me by name and said bye instead of just ignoring me. pretty solid guy.

Schlereth sounds pretty cool! Those o-lineman lose alot of weight after retirement. You should see Jacoby nowadays.

I would love to (but doubt we can) boat race the division to give Brunell most of the last couple of games off to avoid injury in the playoffs and rest up. Unfortunately, I see this division as being a dog fight 'til the end.

Should have told him about extremeskins, so he could learn a thing or two :D

BTW, I did a very thorough brekdown of Mark Brunell's stats showing, his drop in stats was due to the loss of Patten, and having a dramatic decrease in attempts. His YPA, and YPC where almost exactly the same all season, as was his TD to INT ratio.

These media guys focus on the TB playoff game, but fail to realize even though his knee was hurt, he only had like 15 attempts passing.

Brunell will be fine

I agree with him and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it. MB's performance went south after the Giants game...our WR's were already down and out at that point.

Should have told him about extremeskins, so he could learn a thing or two :D

BTW, I did a very thorough brekdown of Mark Brunell's stats showing, his drop in stats was due to the loss of Patten, and having a dramatic decrease in attempts. His YPA, and YPC where almost exactly the same all season, as was his TD to INT ratio.

These media guys focus on the TB playoff game, but fail to realize even though his knee was hurt, he only had like 15 attempts passing.

Brunell will be fine

As good a job as you've done with stats lately, there's something else here about Brunell that is worrisome. Watching from the sidelines, there was, absolutely, a difference in how he played early compared to as the season wore down. It wasn't just about losing Patten. I remember turning to Die Hard at one game saying, "Man, we can't win with him throwing like that." There was a distinct lack of pop in his balls later in the year. He was missing throws he was nailing early. That got WORSE after the hit on the knee against the Giants, but, it was happening even before. Now, with Saunders, Brunell will be asked to drop and throw to spots. He can do that even as his arm weakens, because he can adjust and throw earlier if he has to, where last year, some of that fire he had in squeezing some things in late just went away, and without Patten to balance the field, we struggled because of it.

As good a job as you've done with stats lately, there's something else here about Brunell that is worrisome. Watching from the sidelines, there was, absolutely, a difference in how he played early compared to as the season wore down. It wasn't just about losing Patten. I remember turning to Die Hard at one game saying, "Man, we can't win with him throwing like that." There was a distinct lack of pop in his balls later in the year. He was missing throws he was nailing early. That got WORSE after the hit on the knee against the Giants, but, it was happening even before. Now, with Saunders, Brunell will be asked to drop and throw to spots. He can do that even as his arm weakens, because he can adjust and throw earlier if he has to, where last year, some of that fire he had in squeezing some things in late just went away, and without Patten to balance the field, we struggled because of it.

I agree wholeheartedly...in fact...my favorite Mark Brunell game, oddly enough, was the loss at Denver.

In the rain, playing from behind, Mark Brunell was running around, buying time when he needed to, but most impressively, he was firing every single kind of pass you could have, lasers, nice lobs, and that deep bomb to Patten that was a TD but got called back on a phantom interference call...

Even though there are games where he kind of did those things and we won, the Denver game, when I look at the tape of it, was like watching the Jacksonville Mark Brunell --- he was lights out that day in the cold rain and muddied turf. The Brunell before the Giants game was kind of a weaker version of that, and the post Giants Brunell was a shadow of that. Re: grounder that died in front of Moss that would've went for a 1st down in 4th quarter against Tampa.

Denver could not stop him but for one lucky deflection at the end..he was crazy.

I agree wholeheartedly...in fact...my favorite Mark Brunell game, oddly enough, was the loss at Denver.

In the rain, playing from behind, Mark Brunell was running around, buying time when he needed to, but most impressively, he was firing every single kind of pass you could have, lasers, nice lobs, and that deep bomb to Patten that was a TD but got called back on a phantom interference call...

Even though there are games where he kind of did those things and we won, the Denver game, when I look at the tape of it, was like watching the Jacksonville Mark Brunell --- he was lights out that day in the cold rain and muddied turf. The Brunell before the Giants game was kind of a weaker version of that, and the post Giants Brunell was a shadow of that. Re: grounder that died in front of Moss that would've went for a 1st down in 4th quarter against Tampa.

Denver could not stop him but for one lucky deflection at the end..he was crazy.

I agree completely. People are focused on the Brunell to end the year, made worse by his bad knee. But, they tend to forget JUST how damn good he was for a very long stretch there for us. He was making throws you can only dream of seeing again. If he is the QB he has been for us and in this league, he's one hell of a weapon for us.

He is a 'stand-up' guy. I used to mow his lawn when I was a kid, and my sister babysat his children back in the early 90's.

He lived a few streets down from me and had the hotttttttttest wife.

He was such a great guy, so humble. I remember being in his house one day, and he had his pro bowl jersey just sitting on his couch (the authentic jersey!). I remember this so clearly.

Okay- so it's gone from a Mark Schlereth thread to a Mark Brunell thread. I'm in.

Mark Brunell is a true-grit, wily veteran with a strong arm, a keen mind, and some still-serviceable scramble. He's a clean-liver and a strong leader. I was a big fan when he was a Jag and I was thrilled to get him here in DC. Knock him if you want, opposing fans. He's good and if healthy, he'll take us far.

Thing I never understood about Schlereth is why the loyalty to the Broncos more so than the Skins? He was a Skin first and I believe won a SB with both? I may be wrong anyone know if he was on that 91 team?

I agree completely. People are focused on the Brunell to end the year, made worse by his bad knee. But, they tend to forget JUST how damn good he was for a very long stretch there for us. He was making throws you can only dream of seeing again. If he is the QB he has been for us and in this league, he's one hell of a weapon for us.

Do you think that there's a chance that Brunell had a case of "dead-arm" similar to what pitchers in baseball experience in the latter parts of a season? I'd be willing to bet that this is a possibility. Even quarterbacks on the lower levels of competition (high school and college) are susceptible to this type of fatigue. Once it sets in, its difficult to get rid of without an extended period to rest.

Archived