Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNNSI: King - Commissioner for a Day

jbooma

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/06/09/commissioner/index.html

This is not as laughable as you might think. The NFL is as close to flawless as any sports league in America -- big surprise there -- but the key word there is "close." I can make it better. I can make it perfect. I can out-Tagliabue Paul Tagliabue. And here goes.

1. Expand the regular season to 18 games: Cut the preseason to two games, and expand the regular season by two. Now, I understand how football's a war of attrition, and so you'd have to adjust how teams play the game. So expand the rosters to have every one of the 53 players on the active roster active for each game, instead of only 45. This would give the best players, theoretically, the opportunity to play fewer plays and give each player a better chance to last 18 games. Of course, you'd have to pay the players more because they'd be performing for two more games, but that's for another day. I'm only the commissioner for a day, not a mathematician.

2. Pass a bylaw prohibiting playoff expansion: Twelve teams is enough. It's almost perfect, by the way. Any more, and you risk an 8-8 team in the hockey-like postseason every year. And because some teams that win 10 will occasionally miss the playoffs, the sentiment will be there every year to expand the postseason. So the NFL should act right now and make it next to impossible to ever have a playoff field bigger than 12 teams.

3. Make long field goals more valuable: Simple: Any field goal 50 yards or further is worth four points. No traditionalist would want it. But no traditionalist wanted the three-point shot in basketball, and look how much fun it is to see Dwyane Wade or Vince Carter go wild from 28 feet. Electric stuff. Imagine the Lincoln Financial Field crowd at a 14-10 game, Philadelphia trailing Dallas, late fourth quarter, Eagles' ball, fourth-and-six at the Cowboy 35. "A-kers! A-kers! A-kers!" the crowd shouts, serenading David Akers as he runs on the field. And now the game's in his hands. Or on his foot. It'd add value to the long field goal, and make more games competitive late.

4. Take NFL Sunday Ticket off the dish and put it on digital cable: There are too many people -- like me -- who will never get a dish because digital cable is so good. Makes no sense. How many of those people have no intention of going through the gyrations to get a dish just so they can have every NFL game in their house on 17 Sundays? I don't care what the NFL is making off the dish. The league would make more on digital cable -- and what's more, more people would watch more football. My theory, anyway....

The "Ben Roethlisbeger Rule" is classic.

I think they should change it from the Roethlisberger rule to the Alstott rule.
9. Put two computer chips in the football, and make the goal line, in essence, capable of sending a signal when the football touches the plane of the goal line: Let's just call this "The Ben Roethlisberger Rule.

I thought the same thing

I actually agree with him on most of these things. He really has some solid ideas, especially extending the season/limiting the preseason, the bylaw against expanding the playoffs, making long FGs worth more, and forgetting about LA.

I actually thing the whole sensor in the football is a bit overboard but I also think it's day is coming fairly soon.

Damn, what a moron....

Especially the last part, Digital Cable is the same quality as Digital Satellite dish, he just has never experienced the latter and thus has his preformed opinion about such and won't change, exactly like his opinion of Art Monk.... ****.

Good thinking Peter, 2 games gives a great gauge on how well rookies and new players will do on a team. 2 games is the perfect amount to get guys in gameday shape. and an 18 game season won't wear down on the players, espcially if you increase the gameday roster, not the overall roster. Plus that means that either camp starts early or it is only two weeks long. This reads like King stole it from an 8th grader.

Damn, what a moron....

Especially the last part, Digital Cable is the same quality as Digital Satellite dish, he just has never experienced the latter and thus has his preformed opinion about such and won't change, exactly like his opinion of Art Monk.... ****.

i disagree, plus when the wind blows hard we get to keep our picture and if we move we can give back our box very easily :)

Damn, what a moron....

But why should it be limited to dish users? It makes sense to expand it so everybody has the ability to receive it. You might not get the upfront money that the satellite companies pay but I would think that you could recoup it with all the different cable companies that would sign up.

But why should it be limited to dish users? It makes sense to expand it so everybody has the ability to receive it. You might not get the upfront money that the satellite companies pay but I would think that you could recoup it with all the different cable companies that would sign up.

it is just a matter of time before this is changed

His field goal idea is kind of interesting, but it would be bad in some ways... Kickers should get rewarded when their team gets closer to the goal line.

The Alstott rule (as it's been appropriately renamed) is SO needed. It really is a big deal, and it'd probably be easy to do.

Clint

3. Make long field goals more valuable: Simple: Any field goal 50 yards or further is worth four points. No traditionalist would want it. But no traditionalist wanted the three-point shot in basketball, and look how much fun it is to see Dwyane Wade or Vince Carter go wild from 28 feet. Electric stuff. Imagine the Lincoln Financial Field crowd at a 14-10 game, Philadelphia trailing Dallas, late fourth quarter, Eagles' ball, fourth-and-six at the Cowboy 35. "A-kers! A-kers! A-kers!" the crowd shouts, serenading David Akers as he runs on the field. And now the game's in his hands. Or on his foot. It'd add value to the long field goal, and make more games competitive late.

This could bring up some interesting scenarios. Let's use his example with the score 14-10 and the Eagles driving but instead of the ball being on the 35, say it's on the 25 with 0:10. Do you try for the go ahead touchdown or do you have your QB take a knee at the 33. If you do go for the touchdown and don't make it do you then try to snap it back to the 40 for the 4 pointer?

This could bring up some interesting scenarios. Let's use his example with the score 14-10 and the Eagles driving but instead of the ball being on the 35, say it's on the 25 with 0:10. Do you try for the go ahead touchdown or do you have your QB take a knee at the 33. If you do go for the touchdown and don't make it do you then try to snap it back to the 40 for the 4 pointer?

This is exactly what I was going to say.

I think the whole "fantasy football" thing has people thinking in these terms.

Personally, I don't like the idea of longer field goals being worth more...they put in the 2 pt conversion to make things more interresting and they have. 4 point field goals really do just the opposite IMO...instead of rewarding your team for deep penetration into your opponents territory, you reward them for going 3 and out after say, they get a turnover at your 35 yard line and go no where...

...and as far as the number of teams in the playoffs...it's just a matter of time before we get a 7th team in each conference...the #1 seed will get the by, then the 7 will play at the 2, the 6 will play at the 3 and the 5 will play at the 4.

Look at all the quality teams that did not mkae the playoffs last year...KC, SD, Minn, Dallas...Do you mean to tell me that the Chiefs wouldn't have made some noise last year if they had made it in?

I have said it before...when there 28 teams, we had 10 teams then 12 teams make it...now that there are 32 teams, I think 14 making it would be okay. It would keep alot more teams/citys involved through the end of the season. It in know way diminishes making the playoffs...you still have to get to the playoffs to get to the Super Bowl. The top seeds are still going to get home field against the lower seeds.

Archived