Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Book Club: Twain's Huck Finn

iheartskins

All:

From various PMs as well as nominations within the thread, I think it's time that we read the classic Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.

Twain is one of my favorite authors.

Let's discuss the first half of the book on July 20th.

-ihs

I've read it 4 or 5 times as well, but I'd rather we have more people participate and I think this is also a book that's a lot more accesible than The Plague.

Sorry guys--we'll pick something more obscure next time. :)

In honor of the approaching training camp, maybe the next selection should be the book by TO.

I've read it 4 or 5 times as well, but I'd rather we have more people participate and I think this is also a book that's a lot more accesible than The Plague.

Sorry guys--we'll pick something more obscure next time. :)

NP man, it was a great book, and there is a lot to discuss along the racial aspect of the book. We should probably explore what the time was like when the book came out and WHY it was so controversial.

I hate Mark Twain. People are constantly quoting him. There's no need to read his books, really. Wait a while, and you'll hear the whole text from some geek. It's as bad as Monty Python!

People don't usually quote his novels, but his essays and other sayings.

Edit: but I guess I really didn't need to post this did I. Twain is a one of the greatest satirists, why dislike him? Other than the reason you have given, which isn't very good.

I hate Mark Twain. People are constantly quoting him. There's no need to read his books, really. Wait a while, and you'll hear the whole text from some geek. It's as bad as Monty Python!

One of Twain quotes that I know (and I have resisted giving into the temptation to do this many times seeing your posts but I can't hold off any longer) is sort of difefent, and I ask you remember my sense of humor :D :

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."

:silly:

Two things: don't kill the messenger and yet another golden example of using quotes. Twain could have been a founding father :laugh: .

People don't usually quote his novels, but his essays and other sayings.

Edit: but I guess I really didn't need to post this did I. Twain is a one of the greatest satirists, why dislike him? Other than the reason you have given, which isn't very good.

Liberty, the right to be dense is God-given (in abundance) and a global institution that I employ ;) , but tech is kidding. :laugh:

One of Twain quotes that I know (and I have resisted giving into the temptation to do this many times seeing your posts but I can't hold off any longer) is sort of difefent, and I ask you remember my sense of humor :D :

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."

:silly:

Two things: don't kill the messenger and yet another golden example of using quotes. Twain could have been a founding father :laugh: .

Oh, believe me... I am fully aware of Twain's views on God, the Bible, and Christianity. I just happen to like that one because I find it funny, and it encapsulates my views on Heaven and dogs in one fell swoop.

Oh, believe me... I am fully aware of Twain's views on God, the Bible, and Christianity. I just happen to like that one because I find it funny, and it encapsulates my views on Heaven and dogs in one fell swoop.

Animals should go to heaven too of there is one :) .

(please, other folks--that comment requires no theological edification from anyone)

Maybe we'll have to see about following up Twain with some Ambrose Bierce, someday, iheart. He was always one of my faves.

Archived