Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chimney Heat Source 101

smashmowf

Ok I got a Chargriller Smoker for fathers day and have not cooked one crumb yet. I've got the wood chunks, got the charcoal, got the newspaper...no fire.....so how does this Chimney thing work, I heard I can make one with large coffee can....but where the heck am I supposed to put it and how does it work.....

Go to Walmart and By one. It's like 8 bucks. It is a round metal cylinder. There is a metal grate bottom that is about 3 inches up from the bottom. You fill the top with charcoal and put a wad or 2 of newspaper under the bottom and light it. It helps to put a little cooking oil on the paper. Acts as a wick and slows the burn. Don't soak it, just a little. I use wood shavings in a small paper lunch bag, because I have a wood shop. That burns hotter and lights faster. But either way, light it and walk away. After 20 min. you'll have white hot coals.

pACE-988535reg.jpg

Go to Walmart and By one. It's like 8 bucks. It is a round metal cylinder. There is a metal grate bottom that is about 3 inches up from the bottom. You fill the top with charcoal and put a wad or 2 of newspaper under the bottom and light it. It helps to put a little cooking oil on the paper. Acts as a wick and slows the burn. Don't soak it, just a little. I use wood shavings in a small paper lunch bag, because I have a wood shop. That burns hotter and lights faster. But either way, light it and walk away. After 20 min. you'll have white hot coals.

pACE-988535reg.jpg

Is it small enough to fit in the side fire box? One question what is the difference between the chimney and just putting newspaper on the bottom of the firebox, light it, and place the charcoals on the grate?....I know I'm making this WAAAY more difficult than it really is but I've been a slave to the gas grill since I can remember...

Is it small enough to fit in the side fire box? One question what is the difference between the chimney and just putting newspaper on the bottom of the firebox, light it, and place the charcoals on the grate?....I know I'm making this WAAAY more difficult than it really is but I've been a slave to the gas grill since I can remember...

The chimney just gets the charcoal wicked hot in a shorter period of time.

Also, if you put a grate directly on top of the chimney, you can use it to sear stuff. Its like cooking on a jet engine.

Not sure it would fit in the firebox, but it doesn't need too. Once the coals are ready, you poor them into the firebox.

Trying to light the coals in the firebox isn't the same. The chimney functions by the chimney effect. It causes air to rush through the coals from the bottom up. This makes a much hotter fire that helps start the coals. you won't get this effect in the fire box.

Man, you guys are serious grill masters, Im at my desk jotting down notes, making a diagram of the airflow, ill tell you what, my next cookout will involve the chimney and I will have white hot coals!

Not sure it would fit in the firebox, but it doesn't need too. Once the coals are ready, you poor them into the firebox.

Trying to light the coals in the firebox isn't the same. The chimney functions by the chimney effect. It causes air to rush through the coals from the bottom up. This makes a much hotter fire that helps start the coals. you won't get this effect in the fire box.

Gotcha...it all makes since now....time to thaw out the ribs and start smokin....

Archived