Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEEK 1 | Minnesota Vikings

Ellis

:2cents:

Sept 11th, MNF!

Not only is this game the first game of the Redskins destined Super Bowl season, it's also the first Monday Night Football Game and the FIRST ever ESPN Monday Night Football game. To top it off, I think it will have a touching Patriot Day remembrance at the beginning of the game before kick-off to honor the victims of Sept 11th, notably the fact that the Pentagon is in Washington, DC.

I'm psyched... 2 months out and I'm beyond PUMPED!! Me and 2 of my buddies snagged tickets for this game. 3 tickets, GREAT seats!! It will be the 3rd game ever that I've seen and one of my buddies will be seeing the Redskins up close for the first time.

I've spent most of my weekend looking over the numbers last year of our own team as well as the numbers of the Minnesota Vikings.

I would like to sit back and think that the Vikings simply got really lucky last year with their win streak and that it was a fluke. But... every game I caught last year when Brad Johnson was QB, you could see that there was a hunger and determination in that team. They DON'T suck... totally, at least.

I looked up a match up of these two teams on SI.com, based on last years numbers of the regular season :

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/matchups/redskins-vikings.html

In comparison, last year the Redskins had a dominating rushing offense and the Vikings were below average with a rushing defense. RB Mewelde Moore just can't hack it. Especially by himself. Since the Vikings running game is so weak, I see the the Vikings using a lot of pass plays. I'll get my BEST preview of the Vikings when they play the Pittsburgh Steelers on August 19th and the Dallas Cowboys in the preseason game on August 31st. Of all the teams they play in the preseason, those 2 are the ones that I would compare us to--as in "tough opponents" the Vikings play.

I'm feeling very confident about the Redskins crushing the Vikings at HOME in week 1.

One of the best Vikings games I saw last year was the win-or-die game against the Baltimore Ravens which they lost. Now... to lose to the Ravens, especially last year, isn't that easy to do. The Ravens were inconsitent and down-right TERRIBLE last year. But I KNOW the Vikings are a better team yet they lost.

The Minnesota Vikings seem to be one of those teams that bewilder the mind because you never know which team is gonna show up. The lowsy or the good. Much like the Carolina Panthers.

I want to know what everyone's thoughts are on the Minnesota Vikings... They're a young team which many have speculated is the greatest weakness. And it appears that Brad Johnson is their savour for the moment.

What does everyone think? Any threats on the Vikings team? Any key players we should look out for? Any new additions from the draft that look threatening?

:vikesuck:

Koren Robinson scares me a little bit with his speed, mostly on special teams, but really the two things I fear the most are their defensive secondary making a good break on a ball and their dink and dunk offense getting in a rythm every once in awhile because sometimes it can be hard to stop.

They aren't a very "threatening" team but they can get the job done, the skins have the ability and need to put em away early so we dont have to worry about them too much. I don't think there is a lot to worry about.

I like Brad Johnson and wish that he would have stayed in DC so that we could have had some stability at qb. It seemed like a no brainer to give Johnson the starting job after his performance last year (after Culpepper got injured), but the chances are he and the Vikings wont repeat the performance of late last year. For one reason the Vikings have a new head coach and a new system to learn. I know the the Vikes tried to improve a little over the offseason, but i just dont see it. I expect the Skins to win by double digits.

I like Brad Johnson and wish that he would have stayed in DC so that we could have had some stability at qb. It seemed like a no brainer to give Johnson the starting job after his performance last year (after Culpepper got injured), but the chances are he and the Vikings wont repeat the performance of late last year. For one reason the Vikings have a new head coach and a new system to learn. I know the the Vikes tried to improve a little over the offseason, but i just dont see it. I expect the Skins to win by double digits.

Funny thing is... Culpepper played fewer games than Johnsons and had better performance numbers, regardless of the Win/Loss breakdown.

Here's some news I found on the Vikings site that caught my eye... They recognize that their RB Moore can't do anything single-handedly. SO they snagged Taylor from the Ravens. And here's what he's done in the time he's been there... nothing but mixed speculation by the staff and fans...

Vikings | Team not thrilled with Taylor's work ethic

Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:10:30 -0700

The Sports Xchange reports the Minnesota Vikings are not thrilled with RB Chester Taylor's work ethic. Taylor is not in the best of shape at this point in the offseason.

While the Vikings are confident in what they will get from Hutchinson, Taylor might be another story. There already have been rumblings that the 5-foot-11, 213-pound Taylor isn't in the best of shape and the Vikings aren't thrilled by his work ethic.

Remember, Taylor was a backup to Jamal Lewis in Baltimore and the most carries he has had in a season is 160. He only has four career touchdowns in four seasons. Taylor, though, is guaranteed $5.6 million in the four-year, $14.1 million deal he received from the Vikings.

That certainly isn't backup money and the Vikings will be looking for some big things from him come September.

Darren Sharper, Steve Hutchinson, and Jermaine Wiggins are their star players (and I guess Koren Robinson). That's a S, G, and TE (and an AVERAGE AT BEST WR/ST)...I'd venture to say that we are the favorites in this one. Not counting chickens...any given Sunday and all that...but it would be highly disappointing if we drop our season opener at home against the Vikes.

HTTR!

I'm not really worried about the Vikings. Nobody on that offense scares me, and we can run on that defense.

If we don't turn the ball over and play smart we can win comfortably. I'm not predicting 35-0 laughter, more along the lines of 21-10 ish.

Darren Sharper, Steve Hutchinson, and Jermaine Wiggins are their star players (and I guess Koren Robinson). That's a S, G, and TE (and an AVERAGE AT BEST WR/ST)...I'd venture to say that we are the favorites in this one. Not counting chickens...any given Sunday and all that...but it would be highly disappointing if we drop our season opener at home against the Vikes.

HTTR![/Quote]

Aren't you glad it is on Monday. :D

Just a minor point of clairfication. The Pentagon is in Virginia not Washington, DC

But I realize what you mean.

Your a freakin loser....you sickie, its people like you who disgust me. Having the need to correct everyone about something as stupid as that!! YOU KNEW exactly what he meant what did you gain from saying that???? Its SOB's Like you who give the redskins a bad name some times....Now ill tell ya what im gonna do for ya snakes...I'm gonna give you till the counta 10 ta get your ugly, yella, no good keshter of my property before I pump you gutts fulla lead...1 2 10

HTTR!

Don't sleep on their DT duo of Kevin and Pat Williams. Kevin is a lot like Cornelius with his combination of power and athletic ability and Pat Williams is a monster run stopper.

Don't sleep on their DT duo of Kevin and Pat Williams. Kevin is a lot like Cornelius with his combination of power and athletic ability and Pat Williams is a monster run stopper.

Along with Erasmus James.

Oh and their star players are actually, Antoin Winfield, Koren Robinson, Steve Hutchinson, and Darren Sharper.

Your a freakin loser....you sickie, its people like you who disgust me. Having the need to correct everyone about something as stupid as that!! YOU KNEW exactly what he meant what did you gain from saying that???? Its SOB's Like you who give the redskins a bad name some times....Now ill tell ya what im gonna do for ya snakes...I'm gonna give you till the counta 10 ta get your ugly, yella, no good keshter of my property before I pump you gutts fulla lead...1 2 10

Quit huffing you over drugged phishead. If you could read you might have had the time for another bong hit.

Quit huffing you over drugged phishead. If you could read you might have had the time for another bong hit.

First of all lets leave my music preffs out of this and not sterotype people you ignorant mofo. Second it was simply black and white, there was no need to make that stupid and obvious "correction" Everyone and there mother knows where the pent. is around here, it was pointless. Hail to the redskins

Exactly... Their Front 4 is good to very good... Udeze & James at DE and Pat & Kevin Williams at DT... thats nothing to sneeze at.

Winfield and Sharper are still very good in the secondary as well... Its the LBers were the Vikes are weak... Ben Leber, Nap Harris & the Rook Chad Greenway.

Also... their Offense has a lot of speed...

Travis Taylor, Koren Robinson and the 2nd yr guy... Troy Williamson... its not like these guys are pushovers.

The one weak spot is RB... Chester Taylor, Mewelde Moore... arent exactly gonna scare a lot of people

I think the Vikings could be decent next year, but I dont think Coach Childress will have them prepared by week one. It will be their first game with their new head coach, its at FedEx, and its on Monday Night.

HTTR!

Koren Robinson is more than an Average WR. He is damn good and could make the ProBowl this year.

He isn't that fast, but he is a more agile, slightly faster Rod Gardner with better hands.

His problems in his first 3 years of his career stemmed from alcoholism - it nearly destroyed his life and career, he has been clean and sober for a year now since he came to the Vikings from Seattle and as long as that stays the case he has as much physical talent as any WR in the league.:2cents:

Either way, our CBs and Sean can more than handle him and their 1st round pick Troy Williamson from last year. Williamson is sickeningly fast though, in a straight line anyway.

Archived