Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you like your favorite musical act to be political?

88Comrade2000

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2006-06-29-iraq-music_x.htm

I posted a link to an article about Anti-Iraq songs that many acts are doing. Dixie Chicks are an obvious group.

My question, do you like your favorite musical act to be political?

Most musicians are liberal. Most music formats are anti-establishment, so it's only natural that anti- war/Iraq- Bush songs are popping up now.

I hate music with political overtones. One of my favorite groups, Dream Theater, has a few songs attacking Bush. I don't have any particular stance on the presidency, but I won't listen to the song.

Find something more creative to write about. Screw love, screw religion and screw politics. Be creative.

No......because it makes me nervous to know that some of these bands have so much influence on so many people. Why is the ability to play an instrument or sing all of a sudden make you an expert on "_____________" ?(fill in the blank)

While I do admire the fact that some are trying do charitable acts, (feed the poor, help the children, etc), they ought to stay out of politics....

We have just as much right to react to their political rants as they have to have them. That's about all we could do. I heard an interview with "The Boss" a couple weeks ago, where he said it was one of the most powerful tools for a celeb, and should be used. Of course, they're going to think they have a 'duty' to promote their cause. It's human nature.

In particular, I think they have a right to their opinion and to express it in an appropriate forum. Speech type rants at concerts aren't appropriate IMO, but including political themes in their songs is to be expected. Music has always been about emotion and anymore politics have become very emtional. :2cents:

Of coarse they should have political views!!!, but before I buy a ticket for their show, they should let me know if part of the show is listening them rant about it.

Got a little annoyed at Carlos Santana last year after he went on for about 15 minutes of his views, a lot of which I didn't agree with. I didn't pay to hear politics, I payed to hear music!!! :2cents:

I hate music with political overtones. One of my favorite groups, Dream Theater, has a few songs attacking Bush. .

I'm a big Dream Theater fan too, and I don't think they necessarily attack Bush. They just put up a song or two per album that brings up an issue, but doesn't attack one. Ones that come to mind include "The Great Debate", "In the Name of God", and "Sacrificed Sons". Though not political, and definitely not a religious band, the band members are pretty religious individuals (you can check out that thread when Mickalino asked that question last week).

I certainly think that every artist needs to express their views. Art can't really exist in a vacuum. I would be entirely bored with listening to nothing but sanitized bubble gum. Good art begins a discussion. It shouldn't be the end of the discussion.

The bigger problem is that we live in a sound bite world where too many people feel comfortable letting others think for them.

Musicians and actors alike I cant stand them using politics in anything they do. I cant stand listening to political views from regular people I know, and it is almost more annoying to hear it from someone who is supposed to just shut up and entertain. :doh:

They arent politicians they are entertainers. It isnt like just because someone could play a song really well or play the role of the president in a movie they suddenly have some amazingly unique view on world affairs that everyone wants to and must listen to.

Consider this. Many politicians live and work in an Ivory Tower... if that's too cliche let's call the ivory tower a white house. They get secluded from reality. They do not watch news or read newspapers or interact in any way with the guys on the street. So, who else has a bully pulpit? Who else, fortunately or unfortunately, has a platform where their views, assinine, brilliant, or irrelevant must be taken into account. Satirists and artists have always criticized the powerful, tweaked them, and reminded them of problems they may have been blind to. This does not mean that they control or guide policy, but it is the duty of those with a voice in this country to use that voice. To remain silent if you believe wrongs are being committed is a greater sin and is contrary to what this nation should be about.

The way I see it music is an art form, and a musician should write about what's really meaningful to them. I don't really think that's what's going on with most current musicians though. I think they see a war, they see alot of people complaining about it, they see themselves and their music as something really important, and they see 60s and 70s protest songs influence on society. So, they make their own protest songs in order to continue their feelings of importance. There are some exceptions, but I don't think that most political songs are born out passion, but rather born out of a desire to do something meaningful.

I'm a big Dream Theater fan too, and I don't think they necessarily attack Bush. They just put up a song or two per album that brings up an issue, but doesn't attack one. Ones that come to mind include "The Great Debate", "In the Name of God", and "Sacrificed Sons". Though not political, and definitely not a religious band, the band members are pretty religious individuals (you can check out that thread when Mickalino asked that question last week).

You could argue that The Great Debate faces both sides of the stem cell research issue, although various members of the band (particularly James LaBrie) have let it be known that they are against it.

That said, I prefer the music I enjoy and write to be particularly non-political in nature.

Part of the interview went something like this...

Mr. Presley, what do think about the war protesters? And would you, today, refuse to serve in Vietnam?

Honey, I-I'd just as soon keep my own views about that to myself. I-I'm just an entertainer.

Do you think other celebrities should keep their views to themselves?

No. (In a "They have the right to do so if they wish" kind of way)

Best answer there is.

If the music is good, I don't particularly care what it's about, unless it's something completely abhorrent to my personal values. "Favorite Son" is political, and it's one of my favorite songs.

What bothers me is ****ty protest music, or music that just tries to use politics to sell records. (Or, as others have said, artists using the stage as a pulpit when I paid good money to hear music.)

I don't mind and frankly I'd rather people be try to do something they think is right. It's certainly an attitude I can respect more then doing nothing at all. People that disagree with them like to say that they don't know anything about politics but just take a look at an average day on the tailgate forums to see that's never stopped anybody. In same cases, like U2, I'd be willing to bet they know more about global poverty then the vast majority of people. For every one of them though you have a lot of Dixie Chics that just make vague political references that don't add up to more then partisan complaints.

You could argue that The Great Debate faces both sides of the stem cell research issue, although various members of the band (particularly James LaBrie) have let it be known that they are against it.

That said, I prefer the music I enjoy and write to be particularly non-political in nature.

exactly, I mean, i was arguing against the point KevinKlein made that they are Bush bashers. I cannot guess their leanings on politics, but they seem to address both sides of an issue if they discuss it.

I don't mind a band being political, as long as it isn't blatant partisan bashing. If they try and bring up some issue and address both sides of it, I don't mind. If they come out and say why something is dumb (Green Day - American Idiot), that can be annoying.

While I can take it or leave it (usually leave it) it often depends on how its doen. If there's a lot of preachy dialogue (from either "side") and it's being offered talking in interviews or between songs, I'm even way less open to it. If IMO it's well done muscially and intellectually (from either "side" or most any POV) and just a relatively minor portion of the whole peformance, I can deal with or even like it.

That said, outside of potential commercial consequences, why should musicians, or anyone, abandon any influence they have on matter they care about? How many of you who post here, particularly in the political threads as regulars, would hesitate for one second to use any influence you could have as a celebrity for any of the causes and and POV's you rigidly ascribe to? If it were me, and outside of the fact that my perosnal style may not be conducive to it, why would I turn away from what influence I can bring to bear on an issue I care about?

And, lastly, there's this: any time I or anyone else chooses not to excerise any influence we may have on an important matter, there's someone else who will use every ounce of influence they have to advance the agenda you'd protest.

I have always wondered if the reason that most musicians, actors, and artists are more liberal (anti-war, anti-establishment, etc.) is the very thing that gives them their talent. What I mean is, it seems that the creative part of their brains that gives them their talent also gives them their way of thinking about such things. Just a theory, and my .02.

I really don't see why a person should be disqualified from any political intelligence just because they happen to posess musical talents.
Not even Toby Keith? ;)

Remember part one of the quote was the posession of musical talent. :laugh:

Really, it bothers me that there is a mainstream push towards denying anyone their basic freedom of speech/expression simply because they find the views being expressed frictious. Whether it was U2 or Dylan or something as banal and substanceless as the Dixie Chicks famous quote, I believe they should be allowed to express their views. Afterall, the silent enemy is the more dangerous. With the loudmouths, at least you know where you stand.

All art that is worth it's salt is somehow connected to history. With music, ever since Dylan gave rock and roll a conscience, this has been the case IMO.

If you want vaccuous BS then listed to Poison. Having said that, if a band is super political but sounds like shyte, then they are garbage.

It has to *sound* good first and foremost...

Archived