Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Portis' big score

bubba9497

Should Geneva Convention protections be extended to al-Qaeda?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should Geneva Convention protections be extended to al-Qaeda?

• Yes, because it's the right thing to do.
    • Yes, because the Supreme Court said so.
    • Yes, because it's our fault the terrorists are attacking us.
    • No, because al-Qaeda is not a signatory to the Geneva Convention.
    • No, because terrorists do not fit the Convention's description of combatants.
    • No, because al-Qaeda members deserve nothing but burial in pig vomit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-portis063006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

click link for full article

Portis' big score

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports

June 30, 2006

ASHBURN, Va. – There were times when Clinton Portis spent his bruised and battered regular-season Mondays dying for days like this. He would bite his tongue, mutter curse words under his breath in meetings and then pray.

For what?

"A guy like Al Saunders," the running back said of the Washington Redskins' new offensive coordinator. "And an offense like this."

In fact, the first time Portis sat down and really went through some of the offensive film produced by Saunders – highlight clips featuring backs like Priest Holmes, Marshall Faulk and Larry Johnson – he cursed again.

"I remember saying this is the (expletive) I've been waiting for," Portis said.

As far as Portis can see, what Saunders brings to Washington is like nothing he's ever seen. Four- and five-wide receiver sets. Snappy huddles. Adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Up-tempo management. And most importantly, spacious running lanes that would rival the tarmac at Washington Dulles International Airport. All of which – to Portis – provides hope for a career year.

Larry Johnson can have his 2,000-yard season in Kansas City. Portis could be making a run at the single-season record for rushing touchdowns.

"The last time I saw a field spread out like this was in Denver," Portis said. "We didn't spread it out around here. That wasn't our system. You had to adapt. You had to change your game to fit whatever they brought to you. Now I've got the golden opportunity. For two years, I had the opportunity of getting pounded. Pounded here and pounded there. But I found a way out of that and I have the opportunity of my career.

"You don't have to talk to those guys who have gone through him before. Just go look at the film. When Marshall Faulk was in his prime, coach Saunders was there. When Priest was in his prime, coach Saunders was there. If I'm in my prime, I'm in the right place."

Some will scoff at the idea of Portis making a run at 20-plus touchdowns, particularly in what might be the NFL's toughest division. But even the upgrades by the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles don't promise to improve run defenses that ranked from 12th to 21st last season. Portis is counting on Saunders and other offseason additions to make a difference, especially after seeing a diminutive Holmes – almost the exact size of Portis – develop into one of the most prolific scorers in league history with the Chiefs.

For a player who ran through a series of brick walls during his first season under Joe Gibbs, Portis has seen the Redskins' offense come a long way from the rudimentary power scheme he once labeled as "vanilla." Now the offense has arguably as many options as Saunders had when he helped the Rams win Super Bowl XXXIV – from the explosiveness of Santana Moss and the versatility of Antwaan Randle El to the possession capabilities of Brandon Lloyd, David Patten and Chris Cooley.

Barring another spate of injuries on the offensive line, or the loss of one of the principals (Portis, Moss or quarterback Mark Brunell), the unit should be diverse enough to avoid the sputtering it encountered in the playoffs last season.

"Looking around at Lloyd and Randle El and Patten – looking around at guys that should have spectacular years, along with Santana and Cooley – that's going to open [things] up a lot," Portis said. "You can't put eight people in the box. If you do, we're going to throw a bomb on you. You'll rather give me 20 or 30 [yards] than give them 80."

While I still don't forsee Portis scoring more than 10 TD's, he deserves the added production and reduced physical strain this offense seems to offer. Every Redskin fan is grateful for the kind of effort he puts through every game, in addition to the punishment he takes for the team.

Edit: I've changed my mind. I don't see any reason for his TD totals to markedly improve.

Clinton Portis- 1,621 Rushing Yards, 16 Rushing Touchdowns, 602 Recieving Yards, 2 Recieving Touchdowns.

Ladell Betts- 544 Rushing Yards, 1 Rushing Touchdown, 106 Recieving Yards, 0 Recieving Touchdowns.

Jesse Lumseden- 114 Rushing Yards, 0 Rushing Touchdown, 5 Recieving Yards, 0 Recieving Touchdowns.

I really expect Clinton Portis to be used effectively and alot of screen plays this season.

We will have so many more threats when our O is inside the redzone. I believe this will give Portis the opportunity to break many more 10-25 yard TD runs.

1900 yards & 18 TD's.

Im with you on this one. Clinton is going to have a huge year!

While I still don't forsee Portis scoring more than 10 TD's, he deserves the added production and reduced physical strain this offense seems to offer. Every Redskin fan is grateful for the kind of effort he puts through every game, in addition to the punishment he takes for the team.

Edit: I've changed my mind. I don't see any reason for his TD totals to markedly improve.

That's weird, you changed your mind within a minute?

This team has incredible potential, and it's hard to pick out a single player that won't produce. There's gotta be some stragglers, but I think Jason Campbell is going to eventually inherit a great team.

That's weird, you changed your mind within a minute?

This team has incredible potential, and it's hard to pick out a single player that won't produce. There's gotta be some stragglers, but I think Jason Campbell is going to eventually inherit a great team.

Well, I got to thinking that it wasn't so much that Clinton wasn't the back being used at the goal line, but instead a matter of how many possessions we had near the goal line. So, if the offense improves, he'll get more chances than he had last year when he got 11 TD's. It was just flawed logic on my part initially.

Clinton Portis down to his old playing weight is a very good thing. I just remember the speed he showed on that first run against Tampa. I just hope that our line will be able to open up holes for him so that they can let him put that speed to good use. ;)

Clinton Portis down to his old playing weight is a very good thing. I just remember the speed he showed on that first run against Tampa. I just hope that our line will be able to open up holes for him so that they can let him put that speed to good use. ;)

I hope it doesn't increase his chances of getting injured. :(

This isn't the NFC or AFC West, which is where Al Saunders' previous offenses dominated. It's the NFC East, the toughest division in the NFL.

I expect Portis to do well and I expect a few more long runs but you simply can't get too caught up in numbers when it comes to rushing yards and TD's. With all of these great players and only one ball to go around, success will ultimately be measured by TEAM TD's and TOTAL POINTS. I'd love to finally see Clinton make the Pro Bowl in a SKins uni as much as anyone but even Portis would forego that honor for a ring.

Archived