Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When Portis and Cooley retire...

Skinz89

As much as I like Portis and Cooley now-a-days I don't think that they will finish a Redskin. Portis will probably be a salary cap causality when he gets close to 30 and Cooley will probably be gone via FA later in his career.

We all thought LaVar would be a career Redskin. :doh:

It's so hard in our NFL to keep all the core group of guys together. It's not like NBA where you can keep a core group of players together will substituting in pieces every year around them. With that being said, I see Portis spending his entire career here.

Moss, Cooley and Portis are all headed for big pay days if they continue to produce at the level that they have been. Even with all the restructuring of contracts and the cap GENIUS of our FO, its very hard to keep too many superstars on the team. Portis is a corner stone of this team.

Unfortunately, and maybe I'm the only one, I saw S. Davis, C. Bailey, and L. Arrington as corner stones of our franchise. When I saw S. Davis go, I was really confused. Fortunately with the influx of talent in this league, we will find someone else to plug in. Unfortunately, this causes for a lack of loyalty in this league. It's a very fine line between loyalty and money...

Even if we keep both of them through there prime, NFL players seem to hang on a little bit longer past it. Players always think that there primary teams owe them more than there worth, this causes friction and 32-35 year old players end up signing 1 year deals at the end of there careers with other teams. This happens everywhere, Emmitt Smith is a great example, never should have signed that last contract with Arizona. What did he have left to prove?

Portis is more likely because of the big contract he already has, but I would bet neither finish here.

What is the frickin' fascination with Chris Cooley here? He is an good pass catching TE/HB and decent blocker. We have so many players on this squad that are better players than Cooley.

Portis is more likely because of the big contract he already has, but I would bet neither finish here.

What is the frickin' fascination with Chris Cooley here? He is an good pass catching TE/HB and decent blocker. We have so many players on this squad that are better players than Cooley.

Chris Cooley was the only other pass-catcher to show up on Sundays last year beside Moss. I think that has a little to do with the "fascination".

It's so hard in our NFL to keep all the core group of guys together. It's not like NBA where you can keep a core group of players together will substituting in pieces every year around them. With that being said, I see Portis spending his entire career here.

Moss, Cooley and Portis are all headed for big pay days if they continue to produce at the level that they have been. Even with all the restructuring of contracts and the cap GENIUS of our FO, its very hard to keep too many superstars on the team. Portis is a corner stone of this team.

Unfortunately, and maybe I'm the only one, I saw S. Davis, C. Bailey, and L. Arrington as corner stones of our franchise. When I saw S. Davis go, I was really confused. Fortunately with the influx of talent in this league, we will find someone else to plug in. Unfortunately, this causes for a lack of loyalty in this league. It's a very fine line between loyalty and money...

Very well stated!!!!!

I too could not understand S. Davis leaving when Snyder said he wanted him to be a Redskin for life!!!! I was very confused about that, but now I know how stuff works.

Chris Cooley was the only other pass-catcher to show up on Sundays last year beside Moss. I think that has a little to do with the "fascination".

his personality, coupled with his skills and motivation. He was a 3rd rounder, most had written him off, and he goes off to have a pretty good first two seasons, worthy of a first round tight end being picked. PLus, I think his hair has something to do with it :laugh:

Portis has a contract until he's 30, by then, I could see him leaving unfortuantely. We better extend Cooley now, he has two more years left, but he will want a new contract next year. It's a miracle how he isn't asking for one now due to both his performance as well as Nick Hardwick's new deal.

Cooley is one of the best TE's in the league. He plays with a lot of passion and heart. He's the best TE we've had here since S. Alexander.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159157

^^^ Link to thread about Cooley's stats in comparision to the rest of the league...

As much as I like Portis and Cooley now-a-days I don't think that they will finish a Redskin. Portis will probably be a salary cap causality when he gets close to 30 and Cooley will probably be gone via FA later in his career.

We all thought LaVar would be a career Redskin. :doh:

I love when people are honest...especially on this website...I swear we have the most schizo fans :laugh: ...

HE DIDNT JUST SAY THAT...TELL ME HE DIDNT JUST SAY THAT

Clinton Portis will be here for the rest of his career if he wants to. Dan Snyder relizes how good he is and how much he means to the franchises history by then so probally. The only issue with Portis is that his contract will run out when he is like 29 so he is either about to come out of his prime. I heard a rumor that his contract will actually run out when he is 26 so he will be in the firey prime of his career then so who knows? A team might offer more than us...but Dan has never failed us when it comes to getting the player he wants:rolleyes: .

As for Chris Cooley, I hope so. But, during the end of his career he might spend the 1 or 2 years with another team before he retires.

Unless they suffer career ending injuries the chances of guys like CP or Cooley retiring with the Redskins are slim. Fact is that some team will think they will beable to squeeze a year or two out of them and give them a nice contract, that they won't beable to turn down see Bruce Smith, Deion, and Emmitt Smith, along with a long list of guys that took that last big pay day.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Possibly Cooley, he is a TE and that postion doesn't ommand a large salary and there is no evidence that like a RB, that once you hit 30 yrs old, your career is on the downward spiral.

With that being said, I see Cooley staying but unless Portis makes his salary one that the Skins can afford, I don't see him staying.

Yeah that is a little ways off - the only way they wouldn't stay is if something goes down or they have a severe decline in ability.

Superstar players stick around more than you think, unless something unfortunate happens or you happen to play for the Steelers or Titans.

And the players better at him at his position are??????????

I agree there are better players on the TEAM but he plays H-Back/T-End.

Archived