Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has anyone read any of these books

MikeSellers45

Any of the "Richard Sharpe" novels by Bernard Cornwall

Nope, but I've seen the movies. Does that count?

Of those, I have read:

All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque (really could be considered nonfiction)

Great Expectations, Charles Dickens

Memoirs of a Geisha, Arthur Golden

A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway

Guns, Germs and Steel, Jared Diamond

Goodbye to All That, Robert Graves

Don't pick the shortest. You have one lousy book to read. Suck it up and be a man and read.

Goodness don't pick Great Expectations by Charles Dickens! I think it was the boringest book I ever read.

What are you talking about?!? That book was great! So evil, so twisted.

If I was to choose from that list, with out a doubt I would read Foucaults Pendulum. Its the greatest occult action thriller out there, sure it has foreign languages in it but an English only person can get through it without a hitch.

If you can stray from the list, I would do Eco's The Island of the Day Before. Your teacher most likely hasnt read it and its a good read.

Name of the Rose is a great book, but it is HARD reading, and very long. Everyting else Eco wrote is conplete garbage.

I can tell you that it ain't Focault's Pendulum.

WOW, no love for Eco??? I really like his prose, and although I will admit it is a bit over the top, he is an incredible writer. The Name of the Rose is one of my favoriet books of all time, and Focaults Pendulum was soooooo much better then DaVinci Code it souldn't even be on the same list.

There are some incredible books in there. Heart of Darkness was incredible, and Guns, Germs and Steel was also great. If I was to reccommend a book though, it would be The Name of the Rose. As Predicto mentioned, it is a bit hard reading, picture Shakesphere in modern times, but it is an incredible book, and one of the best mystery thrillers I've ever read.

For easy reads, Davinci and Life of Pi are pretty quick and painless, but you are leaving out some other books which you will get a lot more out of. THis is an AP class right? Why not treat it like one and get the high end of education and pick a challenging book? Just a suggestion ;)

BTW, just picked up Kafka on the Shore, anyone else read it? Heard great things on it. . .also got: the Three Pound Enigma (a book on the human brain and how it works), Constantines Sword and The Fabric of the Cosmos. Has anyone read those books, and if so, what did you think of them?

If I was to choose from that list, with out a doubt I would read Foucaults Pendulum. Its the greatest occult action thriller out there, sure it has foreign languages in it but an English only person can get through it without a hitch.

Damn, cross post, at least there is another Eco fan out there, I was wondering why all the hate towards Umberto :laugh:

I can't believe that a schlocky book like the DaVinci Code is on that list with such great novels as All Quiet on the Western Front, Heart of Darkness and A Farewell to Arms.

:laugh: I was thinking the same thing about "Timeline." I can't believe a Michael Chrichton book is on an AP World History book list. What is this world coming to?? :doh:

Life of Pi is an excellent book....I guess the religious aspects of it pertain to world history, but I can't see much else....(near the beginning of the book the author disects Christianity, Islam and Hinduism (I think its Hinduism...could be wrong) because he's deciding what religion fits him best).

:laugh: I was thinking the same thing about "Timeline." I can't believe a Michael Chrichton book is on an AP World History book list. What is this world coming to?? :doh:

Life of Pi is an excellent book....I guess the religious aspects of it pertain to world history, but I can't see much else....(near the beginning of the book the author disects Christianity, Islam and Hinduism (I think its Hinduism...could be wrong) because he's deciding what religion fits him best).

when it comes to wooing of religions I really like The Dictionary of the Khazars. Strangely enough Ive only read the female edition cause it was a woman who gave me the book, but the two editions were only seperated by a paragraph and I read the male part so I guess I read them both. Its really an interesting read. 3 books in the lexicon, each devoted to the three main confessions Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. All 3 are vying for a magical race to join their cause. Descriptions of the lives of demons, dream walkers, all kinds of good occult stuff for a fictional read ;)

Archived