Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College vs. Pro

Beauty is Only

I grew up in Richmond, Virginia. Throughout my 22 years of residence there, the sports that mattered most to those I knew were pro football (The Redskins in particular) and college basketball (the ACC and UVA in particular). Now, I find myself a little further south (metro Atlanta). Here, college football is king. In metro Atlanta, the pro game is an afterthought (partially due to the fact that the Falcons have never accomplished much, but more because of the strong college team traditions that thrive here).

I keep tabs on the SEC (UGA in particular) just so I can relate to the locals, but I am definitely not sold on college football as being more worthy of my devotion than the pro game, which I find compelling even when the 'Skins game isn't the one that's on TV.

Usually, when debating pro vs. college football, my main point of argument is that the pro players are the best of the best. Only a small percentage of those who play in college will ever set foot on a field on Sunday simply because they're not good enough. When you're watching an NFL game, you are watching the cream of the crop of college players.

And sometimes, even those who excel in college don't succeed at the next level. Rare is the athlete who is mentally and physically prepared to stand the heat in the NFL's kitchen. Why watch the minor leagues when you can watch the majors?

College football is embraced in spite of this fact. It's an emotional/social dynamic in this area and most of the deep South, so I can't really convince anyone that pro football is better or much more worthy of their attention (not that that is a goal of mine).

What say you? You've read my views on this subject, let me know yours.

There are a few reasons why people love college football

1) They went to school there. Going to Virginia Tech, football was king (I went from 2000-2004)

2) Tradition. UGA has far more tradition, winning tradition then the Atlanta Falcons. This is going back to the dawn of the 20th century

3) The atmosphere. I love how loud FedEx Field can get, but it won't compare to Lane Stadium or Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night. The college football atmosphere is absolutley unreal

You are right, the game play is outstanding in the NFL, it is the best players, the fastest, the strongest. In college you get a unique array of styles, from the spread, to a run and shoot, to a pro style offense. There is a great diversity there

Also it is fun tracking the progress of players from when they are 18 year old freshmen, and see how much better they are as 22 year old seniors

I love the NFL, but college football just has that something that the NFL doesn't have

This is what makes football the best sport hands down...both the college and pro sports are teriffic. I love football season because we get college on saturdays, pro on Sundays and mondays. I like NFL a little better, but there is also a place in my heart for college.

I can't wait for tailgating season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've lately been embracing college, at least the past two season. I still follow pro by far, but college can be fun. I'm an Auburn fan, so I've watched more SEC games than others, and some of those games can be intense. You see great defenses like LSU coming out, man. Also, more opportunity for the big play. I will always love pro games mroe, but sometimes punting wars can be boring (like watching any Ravens game before).

It doesn't hurt to have half of your home crowd being the student body who want to go crazy every chance they get. But I still like pro better than college. I love watching the skins. But I also loved watching Notre Dame play this last year. Nice.

I love both pro and NCAA football. The pros are definitely the top athletes, but college football brings a lot to the table. Here are a few things that elevate college ball:

You see more formations in college. A great option attack is one of the hardest offenses to defend. You'll never see it in the pros because of the pounding the QB takes, but it is still fun to watch. And that's just one of many. You see more defenses as well.

Also in college the game is generally much more about the name on the front of the jersey than the name on the back. Players (with a few exceptions) are playing for their schools rather than the highlight reel and a contract.

The stakes are higher during the regular season. A single loss will usually knock a team out of national championship contention. The top teams can't afford to have any bad games.

Finally, and probably most importantly, the atmosphere. Fedex is fun and RFK was great but you have to go to an SEC or Big 10 game to truly understand what I'm saying. There is nothing like the pageantry at a pro game: the tailgates, the bands, the traditions. The top rivalries go back more than 100 years.

I agree with you TC.

I generally find College ball painful to watch. Most of the time the play seems sloppy and that sort of thing. Not always of course. I guess thats what you guys are saying, the NFL is the best of the best.

I will definitely sit down and watch some Alabama ball games with my dad. He only watches college.

And also, believe me, people here have been following the Falcons for a long long time. At least since the late 70s. Yeah, for the most part they have been crappy but you know the locals here support them.

I went to Georgia Tech, and albeit they haven't been a "powerhouse" in quite some time, the majority of my friends will take college football over professional football anyday of the week. I think it has to do with the ritual...and the feeling of nastalgia that ritual promotes. It provides a feeling of your younger, carefree days, whilst in college...and everyone knows if you went to a football school, football Saturdays were an absolute blast.

I on the otherhand, much prefer professional football, but I can't put my finger on exactly why. I love the drama, the action, the coverage, all of it. One for one, team for team, I get more enjoyment out it.

This is what makes football the best sport hands down...both the college and pro sports are teriffic. I love football season because we get college on saturdays, pro on Sundays and mondays. I like NFL a little better, but there is also a place in my heart for college.

I can't wait for tailgating season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you can almost get College or Pro football 7 days a week. They feature Tuesday MAC games, Wednesday Mac Games, Thurs. ESPN college, Fri College, Sat College, Sunday and Monday Pro.

I on the otherhand, much prefer professional football, but I can't put my finger on exactly why. I love the drama, the action, the coverage, all of it. One for one, team for team, I get more enjoyment out it.

Probably because there are only 53 players instaed of 100+. Like one guy said earlier, the name on the front of the Jersey means more in College football than the name on the back.

Probably because there are only 53 players instaed of 100+. Like one guy said earlier, the name on the front of the Jersey means more in College football than the name on the back.

at FSU this past year...they had their starting QB and starting CB wearing the same # because they had so many players

EDIT: and btw, in college...most teams dont have the name on the back

College football is my religion.

I keep tabs on the SEC (UGA in particular) just so I can relate to the locals, but I am definitely not sold on college football as being more worthy of my devotion than the pro game, which I find compelling even when the 'Skins game isn't the one that's on TV.

I hope my alma mater made life a little sadder for your neighbors. :D

People take way more pride in college football, mainly because they play for pride and not money. Though most NFL players play to be the best at what they are doing too. Another reason people like college better is because there is more of them, like around where I live everyone loves college alot more because they actually get to watch their team play in that stadium. They don't have to drive but about 1-2 hours to watch their team play instead of having to rent a hotel and stay down at the pro field.... does anyone else get my point of there being more colleges, so less drive?

I didn't really go to a college that has football. I could care less about football in college except:

1) I need to watch football sometimes on Saturday.

2) That is where the guys from the NFL draft come from and I am a draft junkie scout wannabe in training.

3) My dad likes college football.

I'll never be convinced that College football or basketball is better than the NFL or NBA, I just won't and I don't understand people that say it is - but there sure are a lot of you so I just leave it alone.

I like players more than coaches, and except for the rare stars in college - players have a very anonymous nature in college - while coaches are alway on camera hamming it up.

:2cents:

The NFL is the greatest brand of football period. The strategy, the power, and the speed make the NFL way more enjoyable then college.

Don't get me wrong I watch a !@#$ load of college ball but the NFL is in a class by itself.

College teams play with plenty of passion and has better rivalries, as a whole, and you can't beat the gameday pagentrey but the NFL is a culmination of mental and physical talent, where as the college game is usually won by the far physically superior team. In the NFL every team has all-Americans and all conference players so games are usually decided by the smarter team and best prepared team. In short the NFL is were men play while college is were young men play.

After saying all that I find myself playing more NCAA Football then Madden on my XBOX, go figure.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Quite an excellent post, Pizzinis! I wish to share my thoughts as well, so bear with me: Post I

College Football: I grew up in Rockville, Maryland, watching the ACC Game of the Week. In those days, Maryland Football was treated as a laughing stock, as was the majority of the conference (only Clemson was considered a legit natl power back then). Therefore, it was years of Wake Forest-Georgia Tech matchups (picture a coll. conference full of NY Jets/NO Saints teams & one Dever Broncos quality team year in, year out). Boring to say the least.

Later that afternoon, the real game came on showcasing some monster matchup of two SEC or Big Ten Titans! Man, the intensity, the passion, the high stakes drama had me hooked! There is absolutely no comparison to the excitement level of big-time college football. Nor the atmosphere.

As I grew up, I saw the West Virginia Mountaineers play for a few years, & believe me, they will always be the biggest thing going in that state. And honestly, that shocked me. To literally see grandmoms on down to 5 year olds yelling and screaming for the state team (in every remote corner of the state!) had a powerfull impact on me. Even in a major metropolitan area you don't see that level of sincere devotion by the majority of its residents, unless it is clearly a SB year.

Then, some years after that, I moved to Georgia (& spent an extend period in Tennessee) where I currently reside. Unbelievably, the devotion to the Georgia Bulldogs is unreal! I would have to say it is three times as intense as the WVU faithful up north. Maybe this all sounds cliche, but you really must see it for yourself. The Georgia-Florida game is every bit the big deal (dare I say MORE???) that Cowboys week is. And the state goes crazy for the dawgs ALL THE TIME, AT ALL TIMES!!!

(Phew!!) I said all that, to simply say this; I for one, am a Pro man, but I sincerely respect & admire those that follow the college game. Down here, it is a way of life, pure & simple. I simply view it as a culture thing--up North, Pro is King, in dixie, College reins supreme.

Hey guys, thanks for bearing with me-I'm almost done!

Post II

Quick rundown of pros/cons for College

Pros: Great Atmoshere for games-between the hedges, the horseshoe, happy valley, the big house. The traditional games-the little brown jug, the civil war, the iron bowl, the backyard brawl-the intensity in these games is unreal, whether you are partial towards on side or the other. The pagentry-its a very specail day for the whole town on game day; the tailgating, the parades, the pep rallys, everything. The school traditions-I find that keeping a uniform unchanged from yesteryear has a certain charing effect on those who wear it (& those that cheer it)

Cons: 11 games??? All that hype for a 2-&-a-half-month season? Recruiting is everything in college-Maryland is Ten Years away from beating FSU on any consistent basis-and that keeps the Titans on top much longer & easier, in my opinion. The politics in the game are ridiculous. Every year, some team gets left out in the cold because the sportswriters hate on em. And every year, the system futily tries to defend itself. But the bottom line for me is that college football does not purely determine its champion on the field. They manufacture the surprise team outta the picture. Shady, to say the least...

Quick rundown of pros/cons for Pro

Pros: A season of building intensity-remember how big those division games were at year's end? The crazy fans-Our Hoggetts, the Chief indian, that barrel guy out in denver, Birdman, all those Darth Vader types in Oakland, I just love it! The exceptional plays made by top-notch atheletes, the advanced chess match played between rivals during the games, in the paper, during the off-season. Proving who's best-opinions and rankings mean nothing on Sundays; an ugly win is a highly valued commodity in the NFL. You don't EVER hear about how an ugly win destroys a team's season--in fact, an ugly win is praised ("X team has the ability to prevail on a subpar effort"). And, of course, Playoffs!!!!

Cons: The officiating-I do believe that the refs do an excellent job overall, but officiating still needs improvement. To determine a team's season on the basis of a highly questionable call is unacceptable. Heck, I truly believe that Alstott phantom touchdown cost us OUR division. And it seems to happen to at least one team every single year. Gotta fix that. The anti-defense bias-it has reeeeaally gotton old, but the competition committee still insists on stacking the deck for the offense. No spearing, murky interpretations of roughing the passer, outrageous fines on defenders for hits that were perfectly legal 10 or even 6 seasons ago. And now the bump-n-run coverage has been outlawed in all but name. This is a major gripe for me. Lastly, the arbitrary moving of teams hurts communities. I could care less about the Browns, but Modell moving that team on that city was sadistic. If the Skins ever moved, I would never be the same again. That, to me, is just wrong. College fans never have to entertain that thought (hell, the tide ain't leaving tuscaloosa anytime soon)

All in all, I find the debate truly fascinating (& I'm sorry to be so long-winded). It's easy to discuss something that you love;). I will leave you with this: I have found that throughout my experiences that the best part of sport is the sense of community it fosters. Every color, creed, nationality, gender, age group, and walk of life is represented in the stands, the bars, & TV rooms of homes all across this country. There ain't nothing better than cheering your pride 'n joy along with your fellow fans of every stripe. Experiencing the joy, pain, excitement, anger, enthusiasm, rage, hope, victory & defeat with 5, 10, 200 or 80,000 folks just like you. Together. College or Pro. Isn't that what its all about anyway?

I live in Tallahassee, where College football reigns. However, as much as I love the Noles and going to the games, they still dont compare to my Skins.

The craziest game of my entire life was last years labor day season opening battle with Miami. I was screaming my lungs off when I woke up for that game and didnt stop until hrs after it was over. During the game was the craziest thing I have ever witnessed.

The second craziest game I have ever been to was this past season when the Noles knocked off #1 Duke. Yes...I was one of the ones who rushed the court twice, but I didnt go until after they ran all of the time off the clock. It was mayhem....

Still, Id trade it in for season tickets to the Skins any day of the week.

Archived