Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Toshiba Sucks, Don't Ever get a Warranty

herrmag

So, I bought a Toshiba Sattelite notebook with a 17" screen about 3 months ago for 1800 bucks (real nice laptop). Well, I kept thinking about how it would suck if something got spilled on it, so I bought the 300 dollar "accidental damage" warranty. I was told that essentially the laptop would be covered no matter what happened to it.

Well, coffee got spilled inside the keyboard (no, I didn't do it, and I'm none too happy with that person), and probably at the very least fried the motherboard. No problem, this is why I spent the extra 300 bucks on the warranty, right? WRONG! Apparently coffee spilling is not covered under the warranty. I could drop the laptop off a cliff, and they would replace it, but GOD FORBID someone spill something on their laptop.

So, I guess I'm simply out 2100 dollars for a laptop I got to use for 3 months. I honestly had to stay home from work today I was so pissed off about this. I have no idea what I'm going to do (probably blow some more money on a laptop :doh:), but just a warning to everyone: DON'T BUY A TOSHIBA, and if you do, don't get the BS warranty.

I'm convinced that almost all warranties suck....

Over the last 3 years I have had three items break under warranty.

Our dishwasher was making a grinding noise...turned out to be a $16 plastic piece that was the cause of the problem. I know because I ended up repairing it myself....Maytag's warranty says the parts and labor were covered...however, that does not include the standard $150 service charge for the repairman to show up at your door. No wonder the Maytag repairman is never busy (according to those commercials)...who the hell wants to pay $150 just for him to show up at your door:)

We also have a well and the tank was replaced a little over a year ago. Ended up having water pressure problems. According to the warranty, the parts are free but I would have to pay labor because that was only for one year. So I called the company that installed it...they charge $85 an hour...and that starts FROM THE TIME THE REPAIRMAN LEAVES HIS PREVIOUS JOB and goes until he finishes your job. Bull****. I'm not paying for some guy to drive for 30-45 minutes to my house...and then still pay more on top of that.

The third thing was my wood stove. It developed a crack in the steel inside the firebox. It posed no danger, only caused the unit to lose some efficiency. The company, Quadrafire, replaced the unit ($3,800) and only charged me $150 for a delivery charge - and that fee was clearly stated in the warranty. Best part was the reason for the crack was my fault...I overfired the unit...and that should have voided the warranty...but they replaced it anyway because they said the crack should not have happened even in overfire.

So I hate warranties for the most part...and I hate having to buy stuff since most of it breaks down within the warranty period :)

I spent 250 dollars to have emachines repair a laptop that kept overheating and shutting down... It worked fine for 90 days and then after that the same problem started occurring. They requested another 250 dollars to fix it. So I said F U ****es!!! Ripped the laptop apart tore out some random metal "shield" of some sort they had in it and replaced the execessive amount of thermal paste with a smaller amount of fancy thermal paste. Now it has no problems. Thank god too I gave that laptop to me mums as a gift.

On the flip side I bought a pair of fancy sony earbuds that I treat so roughly that I have them replaced every two months. I've gone through 4 pairs so far. **** you sony! :evil:

Edit: Oh and your laptop might not be totally fried. Take it to a mom and pop computer place. Don't take it to comp usa -- I took my computer there once and they couldn't find the problem and wouldn't refund my money.

Oh and your laptop might not be totally fried. Take it to a mom and pop computer place. Don't take it to comp usa -- I took my computer there once and they couldn't find the problem and wouldn't refund my money.

Good advice. If it is just the motherboard fixing it should be a lot less then buying a new laptop.

Have you seen the documentation that states a spill wouldn't be covered?

What happens if you accidentally drop in into some hot coals and don't notice for several hours?

No, I haven't specifically read that, but my laptop is currently at some "mom and pop's" shop with all of the warranty info. I'll have to recheck it whenever I go to pick it up. I'm not just going to let this go. If I have to spend countless hours fighting with Toshiba, I'm going to get something from those ****s.

I think I'm going to launch it off the roof of my apartment building "accidentally". Those mf'ers would probably replace it then.

No, I haven't specifically read that, but my laptop is currently at some "mom and pop's" shop with all of the warranty info. I'll have to recheck it whenever I go to pick it up. I'm not just going to let this go. If I have to spend countless hours fighting with Toshiba, I'm going to get something from those ****s.

I think I'm going to launch it off the roof of my apartment building "accidentally". Those mf'ers would probably replace it then.

Ask them to tell you where it says that. Just in case.

Good advice. If it is just the motherboard fixing it should be a lot less then buying a new laptop.

I'm going to assume that if coffee got on the mobo, there's a good chance it fried the memory and graphics adapter as well. All in all, if it costs more than 800 bucks to repair, I'm going to cut my losses and buy a new one. Obviously, not from Toshiba. ;)

i have a toshiba satellite, i payed about 1500 for the actual computer and added the 3 year warranty. luckily nothing serious has happened to it (had it for a year now). the only thing to happen to this computer is that the ethernet socket wasn't working so i sent it back and they fixed it. other than that, it's been a great machine for me and i love it. but there's always the fine print in most warranties that screw you over. nothing against the type of computers that toshibas make, cause they're pretty good. businesses just like to screw you over with the warranty. sorry bout the computer though.

Update, for those that care (and if you don't, too bad :) ): Called the computer shop I took it to, and they said it was ONLY the motherboard (no other components were affected. They're going to replace it. Mobo=$270 Service=$150 Well, I guess 420 bucks is better than spending another 2 grand. There really is nothing wrong with Toshiba's computers. In fact, I really love this laptop. I just can't believe their bull#$%^ warranty.

All I had ever owned for about 10 years were Toshiba satellites for my business.... up until two years ago. I always had them in the shop for one reason or another but figured that we were pretty rough on them and it was par for the course with a laptop. I switched to buying laptops from Dell and have never had one repair problem on any of them in 2 years. They have my business from now on.

I've had a Toshiba A30 (A$2499 shelf price - A$140/month for 36 months) for near on three years and have not had a problem with it. The only thing I've added (internally) is a 512m ram stick (upping total ram to 768) after I found that I was having problems running Madden on it. Extra ram solved that problem.

I've also added a lot of external peripherals, and connected by USB hub, and the laptop is still running as good as the day I put in the extra ram.

herrmag, if you know who it was that spilt the coffee, try dropping the repair bill in their lap and see what happens (unless, of course, it was a family member).

Go drop it, then bring it back in hah say the coffee happened afterwards

Too late for that. It's already being repaired, and I agreed to pay. Besides, I'm sure they documented the fact that there was coffee spilled. They keep track of repairs by serial number. :(

In the wise words of Apollo Creed: "Ding, ding". :(

Our pc's are mostly for personal use, so we have an unwritten rule that there is to be NO drinks anywhere near them, unless they are in a re-sealable container.

We agreed to this as my partner has a tendency to knock drinks over whether they are on the computer desk or not.

i have a toshiba sattelite notebook and i screwed up the screen by stepping on it. .. clearly my fault and they fixed it for free. i dont remember buying any accidental anything either .. sucks

Too late for that. It's already being repaired, and I agreed to pay. Besides, I'm sure they documented the fact that there was coffee spilled. They keep track of repairs by serial number. :(

I would make whoever spilled the coffee either pay at least half the price of the repair or at least do something to make up for it(the latter in the case of a family member). If you don't then nobody else will have any kind of respect for your stuff.

Archived