Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mayor Declares State of Public Emergency in DC

spjunkies

They should give the government a day off so we don't have to go out into this crap :applause:

(Washington, DC) Mayor Anthony Williams has declared a State of Public Emergency in the District of Columbia, effective immediately and continued until further notice.

This public emergency declaration is a response to the potential flooding,loss of electricity, and other adverse effects anticipated as a result of the tropical storm.

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/documents/495_Global%20Warming%20Nations%20Capital.htm

The District of Columbia is extremely vulnerable to flooding. Our nation's capital is built upon former swampland bordering the Potomac River. This region of the Potomac, up to the base of Little Falls, is tidal: sea level changes in the Atlantic Ocean flow all the way upriver to Washington, so that the Potomac rises and falls with the ocean tides. Many of the District's most familiar monuments and landmarks, including the Jefferson Memorial, the Mall, the Reflecting Pool, and National Airport, are very low-lying, and are therefore susceptible to flooding. Although flooding during storms would not cause permanent inundation, large areas could be covered temporarily. Last winter, Hurricane Fran caused extensive flooding along the Potomac, including National Airport and parts of Georgetown and the Mall. In 1985, severe flooding due to heavy rains led to the deaths of at least 47 people and the region suffered more than $900 million in damage. Flooding due to heavy rains and storm surges will be exacerbated if global warming further increases sea level. Property damage and loss of life may become more common and more severe. Mitigation efforts, including increased bulkheads and retreat from vulnerable zones, may be expensive.

I live just across the Key Bridge in Rosslyn. Nothing here. I'm totally lost on this stuff, and it is apparently happening less than .5 miles away from me. State of emergency? No, Katrina was a state of emergency. DC is in a state of oh crap, what an inconvenience.

The only emergency here is people can't drive worth a #$%^ because water is falling on their windshield...........I take that back, I'm sure some basements have been flooded, and a few cars may have been moved. But, seriously, people CANNOT drive in the freakin' rain!

Archived