Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computer geeks help ~ no start

Coach Williams

Ok.....so I just bought this crossover cable to transfer 10 gigs of stuff right......( 6 being skinsz highlights:laugh: ) and it prompts me to restart both systems......I do then the original computer boots up and after 3-4 secs of spinning it shuts down......

I swaped harddrives and I got the same result.......I doubt ram would cause this and the computer is only 18 months old so how could the power supply be dead.......mobo?....

I've got enough parts to switch out some parts but man it sux being without my best mobo........

I might take it down to CC to see if the PS is dead but could this be anything else......

Are you booting them with the crossover cable in already? It should be simple plug 'n' play, but I don't see why it would cause any such conflict.

I'm not sure what to think of this situation... When I think computer restarting, my first hunch is over-heating. Are all fans & CPU fans working?

Is it POSTing at all?

Does it start booting Windows before shutting down?

i'd be careful swapping HDs - they have all the drivers installed... it may work, but you may end up messing up windows on both computers... I've moved HDs from one PC to another (different hardware) before and Windows detected everything - but the best bet is still to reinstall. Also, why would you be swapping HDs? Aren't you trying to build a network?

the best bet imho would be to put both HDs into one PC (attach the second one instead of the CD-ROM), then move stuff over.

If you're building a network, buy yourself a nice switch and go that route. If you're just trying to transfer files, I would definitely go with the master/slave situation in your current drive. If you're having memory problems, more often than not you can at least boot into Windows (except you'll get a bunch of weird errors and blue screens). I'd really lean towards the motherboard on this one or a possibly failing power supply (if it was fully dead you wouldn't even be able to get it to boot for ONE second).

another thing you said, its only 18 months old and you don't think that the power supply could be bad.... I have to laugh at you for that one, powersupplies are being made so cheaply now a days that unless you go with a major name like antec you should not be suprised if it dies within the first 2 years. Sometimes they will last for 5 years and others just over 1...

That being said, I don't think its the ps because it powers for a couple seconds first...

The other thing could be ram though, even if the pc is only 18 months old the ram could have had a defect that just didn't rear its ugly head untill now, or even the MB could have the same thing, or possibly the processor.

Also what drums and skins said is right, you don't have to restart with the hooking up of a crossover cable but it may be that the cable is what is causing the problem if there is something wrong with one of the network cards and it is sending a signal that is shorting out the other motherboard...

Try this, unhook every device from the MB, the vid card, the hard drive, everything except the power supply, ram, and processor... if it doesn't show the problem, hook up the video card and ensure that you are getting video, then hook each item back up to see which part is giving you the problem.

If you do get it to repeat with just the PS, Vid card and Ram in then there are a couple things you can do depending on your situation, first if you have multiple ram modules, you can try going with only 1, try each one, if not try without any in and see if it persists...

SOrry for the hit and run.....

ok....I turn on the machine it gets to the start up screen telling me what's in it....ya know.....HD, CD rom, other drives ram count etc.....

then it shuts down......

I run XP-PRO on everything.........as for the driver thing....I have no idea what you mean....

I simply plugged in the cable, trasnfered the stuff and restarted the machines.......1 started 1 didn't......

I repeated the process for another computer and the other two are working just fine.....

maybe it was a fluke......to be honest with you though I've been having to push the power button several times to boot it recently promting me to get the cable........it's almost like I bought it with perfect timing......

lol.....Now it won't even turn on at all........

I unplugged the black cable in the back and stuck it back in and the computer comes on, psins for 2 seconds and turns off......:doh:

I think I gotta grab another mobo......this one only costs me $40 anyways.....

Archived