Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rogers getting better, ready to be elite?

Abieber301

Rogers has the speed that coaches cannot teach, but more importantly is what he has done in the off-season. He apparently has really become a film student of the game and has put on some muscle without compromising his top-end speed. This guy gets it and we can thank that our coaches made Rogers the selection over Mike Williams. I think we can all take a deep breath knowing that when Springs decides to call it a career we have a No.1 corner ready. In addition, the fact that he gets to play against and watch film on the great corners in our division will only make him better against lesser opponents. Basically, I think Rogers will take big strides this years, look for 6-8 Ints and 65-80 tackles.

Thoughts?

how rediculous is our team...It is so easy to say something about every single starter that is positive. Our only possible weak spot is OLB and everyone is saying positive things about Holdman and Rocky. When spurrier was here we had question marks and holes everywhere. Our team is so loaded its not even fair. All four starters in the secondary were first round selections and two of them, ST and Rogers, were top ten.

I'm not against Carlos Rogers by any means but he'll be entering only his second year, keep that in mind. Ready to be elite? No... not even close. However, is he ready to contribute and more importantly, improve? I'm sure he is.

The only thing that really impressed me about him was his tackling ability. He even took down running backs without aid from teamates. Not to mention he forced two fumbles his rookie season.

What I haven't been happy to see is his coverage skills. I remember him being tested, yeah. In my opinion, it didn't go in his favor. I don't remember many incidents where the receiver caught the ball and got past Rogers. However, I don't remember many incidents where he broke up the pass either. It's important to stop the receiver from getting past you, but it'd be even more valuable if you can defend the pass before the receiver gets the ball (to prevent the 5, 10, so yard gain from the initial reception).

I think he's a solid starter that will only improve in the coming years. Let's just leave the "elite" talk aside till he at least makes a probowl or the stats to back it up.

The ability to cover a speedy WR with good route running ability is extremely difficult. It takes a CB training, film studying and experience to become elite. I can remember watching Darrell Green get torched more than a few times in his first season. His second season it happened way less frequently. This will be a good year for Carlos who is fortunate to have Springs on the other side.

I hope we are calling Carlos elite by the end of the year!

how rediculous is our team...It is so easy to say something about every single starter that is positive. Our only possible weak spot is OLB and everyone is saying positive things about Holdman and Rocky. When spurrier was here we had question marks and holes everywhere. Our team is so loaded its not even fair. All four starters in the secondary were first round selections and two of them, ST and Rogers, were top ten.

Wasnt Springs like the 1st Overall or somthing...?

Wasnt Springs like the 1st Overall or somthing...?

Shawn Springs was the third overall selection in 97 by seattle out of Ohio State:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/1997

I don't think Rogers is ready to be an elite CB in this league, but he will have more than ample opportunity to prove his selection this year. Not only will he be tested in the passing game against WRs, he will also be tested with screens and sweep plays. Our defense is has been tremendously upgraded on the DLine with Carter. To negate the quickness of our line and safeties blitzing, teams will be forced to use quick screens. This actually plays well into Rogers' style of play. He is very quick, but he is also a huge hitter. He can make solid tackles and maybe some huge ones. He won't make the Pro Bowl this year, but all we need is solid tackling and strong cover play. I could care less if he has 1 INT or 10 INT's.

Few players in the history of the game were elite in their second year, off the top of my head the last one was Barry Sanders.

What we should expect from Carlos is a #2 CB that is starting to show the potential of being a #1. He will still get fooled from time to time but should have an overall exceptional year going against teams #2 WR. That alone will keep him out of the pro-bowl as he will not be the #1 CB on his own team, unless of course he plays like an 87 Barry Wilburn and gets 9 INT's.

The addition of Arch next to ST will help Rogers grow and gain more confidence as teams will not test the middle as much as they normally do, unless of course they are trying to teach their WR a lesson. All in all Carlos will have a great second season and I believe will show the maturation we expect out of him. His third season will be the time to start naming him the #1 CB.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Although I can't think of many CBs who were elite in their 2nd year, I can think of a number of recent offensive players who were elite by their 2nd year other than Barry Sanders... OK, I'll name a few off the top of my head in no real order:

RBs 1) Clinton Portis 2) LaDanion Tomlinson 3) Shawn Alexander 4) Corey Dillon (bad team, great RB) 5) Terrell Davis 6) Curtis Martin 7) Marshall Faulk 8) Steven Jackson (splitting time, but still got over 1k yards and had 8TDs)

WRs 1) Randy Moss 2) Anquan Boldin 3) Larry Fitzgerald 4) Isaac Bruce 5) Torry Holt 6) Darrell Jackson (some would argue, but he had like 1k yards his 2nd season)

QBs 1) Brady 2) Roethlisberger 3) P. Manning 4) D. Culpeper 5) D. Bledsoe 6) B Favre 7) D. McNabb

He should improve alot this year over last year. hopefully he will be able to stay healthy all 16 games. If he does he should be solid as our #2 corner. Im not sure abotu probowl but he will be a solid 2 for us this year. excited to see how much has improved.

CR is the type of player may never be considered elite, much like Springs.

He doesn't have "elite" speed, "elite" size, or "elite" coverage skills. What he does bring to the table is at least "above average" of all those skills, and is great tackler (for CB) to boot. No weaknesses to exploit by the O coordinator. Exactly what is needed in the GW defensive scheme.

CR was a solid (if unspectacular) CB the second half of season, and with more experience will cut down on those mistakes he did make. Looking forward to seeing him gow over the coming years as a Redskin :cheers: .

Rogers will be better this year than last, and he was darn good last year. I don't agree with the poster that stated Rogers came out on the losing end of too many exchanges last year. He was solid, certainly not a weak link in the defense that could be exploited, and he put himself in the right place to make the big play with greater frequncy that we have seen here in D.C. in a while. What he did not do though was finish well when he had opportunities(Seattle game he dropped a sure TD), and Coach Gray has made that a priority in his training this off-season.

I don't expect to see Carlos around the ball quite as much this season as last. That's not going to be due to any fault of his own, but rather due to the fact that he has proven to be dangerous and opposing offenses will be more conscious of throwing in his direction this year. Last year they tested him, and they were lucky he didn't pick off more passes. This year the, good teams at least, will not be careless about throwing it up near Carlos. He has shown great leaping ability that took poeple by surprise a few times last year.

A little crystal ball for next year. I think we will go corner in round 1 next year. We don't have any major departing free agents, and Springs is getting a little older. You can never have too many good corners, and they are much cheaper through the draft than free agency. I think that is part of this teams strategy, draft for positions that are difficult to cost-effectively fill through FA.

Archived