Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pain's new band of note: Wolfmother

Commander PK

Yeah, i've seen Wolfmother live a couple of times. They are fairly popular here, but they just didn't do it for me. A pretty bland stage routine, and not much magic. Their songs are decent enough, but they lack the energy that i like in bands.

I'm normally into the heavier stuff, but these guys have something in their music that I'm really digging. My favorite tracks on the album are "White Unicorn" and "Mind's Eye." Most interesting album I've heard in a while. Their influences are coming from everywhere.

I bought this CD because of the hype a few weeks ago. It's good, but I was a little disappointed in the creativity of the band. Whenever I listen to it I feel like it could be so much better.

Don't get me wrong, there are some awesome tunes and it's real encouraging to hear some bands that actually rock out getting press, but toward the end of the album I could swear I was listening to the White Stripes ("Apple Tree", for example). Most of the songs sound like they already have been done before (White Stripes, Sabbath, Zeppelin, and Queens of the Stone Age are often bands that come to mind when hearing these songs). But, if you're going to rip off bands, they are DEFINITELY bands to do it off of.

My favorites are "Mind's Eye" and "Joker and the Thief". I really wanted to see these guys when they came through Chapel Hill but it sold out before I knew they were playing. I really think that this is a good debut for them and that their next album will be a classic because of the influences they are drawing from.

Quite a bit of a Cream influence can also be heard in their songs. Not a bad band, but, nothing really special here. I don't think they will garner much popularity, mainly due to the fact that they really don't have their own "sound". Some may disagree, but, I don't see them being around long. I was not impressed witht he album as a whole, but, a couple songs weren't bad.

Archived