Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTF - Ann Coulter is a Deadhead

rincewind

Personally, I think their music is boring. People don't like them for the music but everything else that went with that, like a certain plant for example.

Boring? You should listen to the 11-9-79 show i've been diggin' for the past few days! :D

Personally, I think their music is boring. People don't like them for the music but everything else that went with that, like a certain plant for example.

I've never really understood the attraction either. Maybe if I dropped some acid at one of their concerts I would understand.

I can't even recall any of thier songs :whoknows:

They really didn't have too many songs that got radio play. Alabama Getaway, Casey Jones, and Trucking are ones that come to mind. I actually did like those songs.

Count me as a casual fan. I own some of their music and it's good stuff. Favorites include Sugar Magnolia, Uncle John's Band, Friend of the Devil, Ripple, Box of Rain, Bertha, covers of Good Lovin and I Know You Rider.

I think some people get turned off by the whole vibe of the Deadhead following, which is a shame because musically they've produced some really good stuff over the years.

Ann Coulter comes across as an attention whore to me, so I do my best to ignore her.

'Touch of Grey' was their only top 10 hit.

Really? I would have thought the 3 songs I listed were also top 10 hits. Wasn't "Trucking" sort of their signature song? Every time I think of the Dead, I think of that song.

Really? I would have thought the 3 songs I listed were also top 10 hits. Wasn't "Trucking" sort of their signature song? Every time I think of the Dead, I think of that song.

Yeah,'Truckin'' and 'Casey Jones' are probably their 'signature' songs - but Touch of Grey was the most commecrially succesfull - and the only one to crack the top 10.

unbelievable that I have something in common with such a c--t

:laugh:

As far as the Dead goes, count me as a big time fan. I own most of their albums and a healthy portion of the Dick's Picks live albums.

Favorites:

Scarlet Begonias

Friend of the Devil

Loser

Terrapin Station

Jack Straw

I highly enjoy the Dead's music, but to each their own. But I did find this comment amusing:

"AC: Apart from Al Gore, Al Franken is the most un-Deadhead like person I know of who purports to be a Deadhead."

I would think this comment would be directed towards you.

Wow, I'm surprised at how many people don't like the Dead. Personally, they're one of my favorite bands, but I'll admit it took me a while to get into them. Also, it's a complete myth that you have to be hippie or drug user to enjoy them, not true at all, they're excellent musicians and songwriters. In fact, I'd venture to say as many people don't like them because of the drug culture they represent as do like them because of it.

The problem with the Dead is that a lot of folks only hear one or two cliched songs, such as Truckin' or Casey Jones, without hearing the wide range of their sound. Compare something such as Anthem of the Sun to Working Man's Dead, and they are two completely different albums. Also, if you listen to, for example, their 1969 sound, which is a rolling, intense crazy rock and roll sound, it is much different then the Weather Report-esque sound of their Dead in the mid 70's. The Dead is an improvisational band, so a lot of folks do not quite get it when they jam and noodle at great length.

I would venture to guess that many folks, who have heard just a little of the Dead's music, have not really heard their "sound."

You most certainly do not have to imbibe in drug use to enjoy the Dead. But I will say, psychedelics do bring a certain understanding to the Dead's music, along with artwork, and thinking, and just the general scene.

Either you are "on the bus" or "off the bus."

Archived