Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

*Portis Smaller Than Last Year*

GestMuddaTruckaEver

to everyone that has been checking out the pics from OTAs and noticing clinton looked smaller, you are correct. portis recently said: This offseason I’ve been trying to lose the weight I put on last year. "This system here is going to require me to be smaller and quicker. I have to hit some homeruns before these people write me off saying I can’t do it anymore. I am looking forward to a couple 90 yarders this year."

Portis said this on his nflplayers.com web journal. good eye for those of who spotted this. :applause:

Heres a link to the list of web journals. holdman, santana, and m-wash all have journals too.

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/journals.aspx

HAIL

OK, I'll play devil's advocate here and say I hope he doesn't lose the strength that gave him all those second effort yards and excellent blocking ability.

you don't need those yards when you hit 2 90 yarders:silly:

Wow, should be interesting. All I can say right now, it's offseason, and not much going on...In Gibbs I Trust. Whether it's him, or his designee, I trust it. Gibbs may or may not be the best coach in football, but he's the best manager in all of sports. See NFL AND NASCAR. 'Nuff said.

Awwwwesommme. It clicked immediately when I read the thread title. Clinton is fully aware of how he can cause the most damage in this offense. And when I say damage, I mean DAMAGE. No one wants to play against CP. I'm going to be rockin' my Clinton Portis 26 jersey ALL YEAR. And proud of it.

Hmmmm.... I liked the 2005 Portis playing a little heavier and tougher. He wasn't busting a lot of big runs, but he was getting the tough yards up the middle. That's what fuels a Gibbs offense. But I guess now we don't really have a Gibbs offense anymore...

I definitely noticed Portis' increased bulk before last season, but I wasn't such a fan of it in the Bears game when he broke free around our 10-yard line and got chased down by the Bears' secondary right around the 50. I assume most of you remember that play. I was hoping he would take it to the house on that play but it seemed to me like the added bulk slowed him down. Of course, he looked pretty good on the long TD early in the Rams game so maybe it was no big deal. Anyway I think it will be good to see Portis off to the races this season.

Al Saunders has said we need to get Lydell Betts in the game and not just as a backup to Cllinton Portis. I have felt that Clinton is more of a threat being quick and agile while Lydell is more effective as a hard hitting back. So I am thinking that we may see some 2 back offensive sets (Mr. Inside - Betts + Mr. Outside - Portis).

I just hope loosing the extra weight doesnt make him more injury prone.... remember how much weight he lost during the year......he might need those extra 15 pounds or so....either way i trust Portis and Gibbs... I know Portis always has the teams best interest in mind... so it will all work out....

I just hope loosing the extra weight doesnt make him more injury prone.... remember how much weight he lost during the year......he might need those extra 15 pounds or so....either way i trust Portis and Gibbs... I know Portis always has the teams best interest in mind... so it will all work out....

My concern as well. He became accustomed to putting his head down and driving. That is where his shoulders took the pounding. I know he was running up the gut more but I'm sure he still has that mentality. If the same was expected of him this season, I don't think he'd have made it 16, oops 19 games. Thank goodness they mae the O change. Hope the shoulders stay healthy.

I think people are making a little much of this - CP is just talking stuff. No analysts were saying he lost his "Home run speed".

Dude could gain 20 pounds and still be faster than Tiki Barber or LJ, he runs a 4.28 40. He just got tripped up at the second level a lot last year where as Tiki and LJ had 5 yards to work with at least almost every time

He's not gonna get weaker, he's probably just working harder at plyometrics or something. Remember who we are talking about here - this is Southeast Jerome, this is the same guy who said he was planning on carrying the ball only 10 times a game next year too. :laugh:

Sweet! Portis for speed Betts for pounding.
Smaller, Quicker Portis for 18-20 carries a game for 100 yards, less chance of injury, and fresh for the playoffs

+

Big, Strong Ladell with 8-10 carries a game for 40 yards

= Superbowl :D

This is where I see things heading....let Portis get to the outside and burn em up. Let Ladell get some more carries pounding it up the gut. Portis was pretty beat up at the end of last season, so maybe this well help to avoid that!

I'm just looking forward to seeing all of this in action.

OK, I'll play devil's advocate here and say I hope he doesn't lose the strength that gave him all those second effort yards and excellent blocking ability.

Blocking (for running backs) has less to do with size than effort and willingness to take a hit.

Archived