Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You're with me, Leather

Beaudry

Apologies if this has been posted already. "You're with me, Leather" is about to make it's way deep into the american vocabulary.

http://deadspin.com/sports/chris-berman/he-could-go-all-the-way-166410.php

A friend of mine just told me he’s getting married. When he gave me the news I immediately thought of the time we were in Scottsdale at spring training, because it’s the best pickup story I’ve ever been a party to. It was about nine years ago, and I actually forget the bar. But my friend was seriously putting the moves on this somewhat attractive young woman, who was wearing leather pants and had a leather jacket draped over her lap. They had been chatting at the bar for about an hour, and my friend thought he was in the house. I had never seen someone work so hard for a score.

But just as he was putting on the finishing touches, Chris Berman walks by. And without even breaking stride, Berman looks at the girl, points and says “You’re with me, leather.” And the girl looks up, instantly recognizes Berman, snatches up her jacket and walks out with him, leaving my friend in mid-sentence.

makes me hate Chris Berman even more.

Chances are obviously slim, unless you get more tv air time than Chris Berman. I hope ESPN shuts that guy down and replaces him, him and Michael Irvin just make ESPN more annoying to watch.

You're not following the story close enough.

Deadspin got T-shirts made with Berman's likeness with the pick-up line printed on them. This week on MTV'S TRL and video jockey was wearing the shirt and repeated the pick-up line, as well as said "Google it.".

The story behind the MTV appearance.

I used to be a writer at TRL and became very good friends with [TRL host] Damien [Fahey]. A few years back we went to the MLB All-Star Game in Chicago because he was hosting the Celebrity Softball game. While there, we went to a players’ party at a “cool” lounge place; there were pretty much no players there. We tried to go to the bar to get a drink and saw this crowd of super hot women surrounding someone. As we got closer, it was this giant beast of a man wearing a Hawaiian shirt; that man … you guessed it, Chris Berman. We had finally found the said “players.” I remember the room was pretty cold, and yet somehow this guy was sweating like Patrick Ewing at the free throw line in crunch time. The guy was talking up all these chicks, sweating like he just raced for the cure and there were no other guys with him. I went up to Boomer and said.

ME: “Hey man, I’m a big fan. Looks like you’ve got your hands full.”

CB: (points finger at girls) “I could go home with any one of these girls.”

ME: “Um, okay.”

CB: “You guys wish you could be where I’m sitting, because the view is (looks around at the women) GOOOOOD!” (laughter)

End of conversation.

Damien and I were in total shock. Babe Ruth could have walked in for an exclusive interview with him, and this guy was more interested in what color the carpet was underneath the leather. We kept laughing about it throughout the weekend, and even after that, whenever we saw him on ESPN. He just seems like the kind of guy that would smoke at a salad bar.

Flash forward to 2006. The famous YWML story breaks on Deadspin, and I post the above story, saying how I had a run in with Berman and how I think the YWML story is totally legit.

So when I saw YWML t-shirts were for sale, I knew this was a natural fit. Payback’s a ***** Berman! (Forgot to mention at the Cleveland/Florida World Series, when I was 16, he blew me off for an autograph and then again at the Super Bowl this year in Detroit).

Ordered two YWML t-shirts and then it was just a waiting game. This would have gone down sooner, had Gawker not taken like eight weeks for the shirts to ship. Damien actually saying YWML was just icing on the cake; his improv, I can’t even take credit for that.

I'm pretty sure it's true... Berman is a tool!

I just used a similar pick-up line of, "You're with me, denim," the other night!!!

What are the chances??.....

Rumor is, not only did you get lucky, but the guy didn't even charge you for fixing the air conditioning :laugh:

I also experienced a version of this. Mine went 'You're with me coldsore!'.

It didn't end as well though. :(

TRL Video of YWML t-shirt:

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/clips/ywml-suddenly-huge-with-13yearolds-182124.php

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/whimsy/the-deal-with-the-trl-thing-182293.php

Deadspin has more Berman stories sent in by others.

"I used to be a writer at TRL and became very good friends with [TRL host] Damien [Fahey]. A few years back we went to the MLB All-Star Game in Chicago because he was hosting the Celebrity Softball game. While there, we went to a players’ party at a “cool” lounge place; there were pretty much no players there. We tried to go to the bar to get a drink and saw this crowd of super hot women surrounding someone. As we got closer, it was this giant beast of a man wearing a Hawaiian shirt; that man … you guessed it, Chris Berman. We had finally found the said “players.” I remember the room was pretty cold, and yet somehow this guy was sweating like Patrick Ewing at the free throw line in crunch time. The guy was talking up all these chicks, sweating like he just raced for the cure and there were no other guys with him. I went up to Boomer and said.

ME: “Hey man, I’m a big fan. Looks like you’ve got your hands full.”

CB: (points finger at girls) “I could go home with any one of these girls.”

ME: “Um, okay.”

CB: “You guys wish you could be where I’m sitting, because the view is (looks around at the women) GOOOOOD!” (laughter)

End of conversation."

So far confirmed uses of YWML were by Kieth Olberman, Tony Kornheiser, and ESPN anchor Neil Everrett.

Two more reader comments from deadspin..

Berman would have hit on me too … If his wife weren’t standing right next to him.

Berman’s seat was next to me at a Jackson Browne show. By the end, when everyone was dancing (really), he was dancing more with me than his wife. He signed my stub, “Rock Me On The Water.”

So, I find this “leather” story rather easy to believe.

and...

I was reading about the Berman story. At the Super Bowl a few years back (Giants v. Ravens) in Tampa, I was downing a few drinks in Champions sports bar in the hotel. A guy I was with was working an excruciatingly hot woman at the bar for about an hour. Suddenly in walks Boomer and stops right in front of the woman, reaches out, and grabs her by the arm (gently). She gets up, as we all look on in disbelief, and they take off together never to be seen again. I did not hear any cute pickup lines but whatever he did was enough to make her leave immediately and leave her cell phone and digi cam.

Story sounds amazingly similar to the one told on the site. Additionally, she was a brunette of about 5-11, rocking bod and claimed to be in Maxim and Playboy. I am just confirming the M.O.

Rumor is, not only did you get lucky, but the guy didn't even charge you for fixing the air conditioning :laugh:

I also experienced a version of this. Mine went 'You're with me coldsore!'.

It didn't end as well though. :(

Let's not get crazy here; the line didn't work that well........

He still charged me for fixing the air conditioner.

I'm thinking about trying out the line, 'You're with me muffin tops!' this weekend... I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Archived