Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Democracy work everywhere?

@DCGoldPants

I ask because I see folks starting to compare Saddams rule, over no rule in Iraq. Then the situation in Iran.

So....I think its a legit question.

Can a Democracy (Western Democracy that we're trying to create in Iraq) work anywhere on Earth? Let me add a time limit.

Could a Democracy be created anywhere on Earth in the next 5-10 years?

Yes? No? Why?

Eventually, yes, and I think that that it is an inevitable change that is sweeping the world.

Immediately, no. In 5-10 years, probably not.

Self governance is hard. It requires some baby steps. Old ways die hard, and old allegiences are hard to shake.

I think that a line from Full Metal Jacket works best here:

On the topic of giving the freedom of Americans to the Vietnamese:

"They'd rather be alive than free, I guess. Poor dumb ****s."

This describes a lot of the world. Countries that would rather live on their knees than possibly die obtaining freedom and democracy.

I dont think this is something that will change. It is a mindset that people are raised with in these other opressive countries. The U.S. has tried fighting other countries fights for freedom and we have yet to have a complete success like we had here. We had to earn democracy and freedom by ourselves, nobody guided us into it, so we had the majority of support from other Americans. In these other countries, the people that want democracy are a loud voice but that doesnt mean they are the majority. When we take up the fight for the minority of population that actually wants democracy, while the majority for one reason or another opposes western ideas rigidly, it is a losing battle from the start.

I feel in order for a working democracy to be established it has to be brought about by the will of the people, not of some of the people and the U.S.

Great case in point......

The United States of America

:laugh: When I saw you posted in this thread, I was fully expecting you to point out that democracy doesn't even work here ...

Seriously though, the answer to Bufford's question is an unequivocal no - 10 years is too short a timeframe. All you have to do is look back over the past few decades of history. Consider South Korea and Taiwan, which had about as much American support as we could give but still took four decades to achieve democracy. Getting to democracy is a long process, and I would say that it takes at least a generation.

I just graduated from Radford University with a BBA in Business Management and a BBA in Economics..let me give my take. But, for my sake, rather than discussing 'democracy' im going to discuss 'capitalism.' Most of you should undertsand this.

Karl Marx says that, in one way or another, capitalism will eventually implode and result in communism. This is because of the gap between the rich and the poor. The gap keeps widening and widening and eventually there are no jobs for the middle class, only factories and things of tha nature owned by the wealthy and the poor work at the facilities. Then, there is no reason for capitalism when there are only 2 classes. So, then you have government intervention, start taxing land, and the wealth is spread among the people, which is then in essence communism.

With that theory in place, who would want a capitalistic society, or, a democracy. Like somebody said earlier, people must want something in order for it to be accepted and actually work. So, which sounds better to you, and which is the easier sell to people: Government says you do this and you do this and you all get your money or you work for you money. Thats some bad wording, but put things in perspective. In a democracy, if you dont work, i hope youre not hungry. Its all a matter of selling.

Of course in theory democracy is better*, but its easier for people to accept communism because they are guaranteed a job and guaranteed their meat and potatoes.

*Some may think that communism is better in theory because youre guaranteed things blah blah, but it allows for no innovation. Innovation is what creates econmic growth. Without growth, were stuck at this level where we become content and eventually become like a 3rd world country to others progressing.

We're not trying to create a Western style democracy, so, the premise of the question creates an impossible question to answer. The fact is, we actually encourage those making the rules to AVOID using OUR system as the model. We don't think it will work for them. But, indeed, a democratic (or, technically, a republic) will work anywhere if the people there design the process as is happening in Iraq. But, no, they would fail if they were to be encouraged to develop a Western style democracy. Democracy and "Western" are not related. Democracy, in itself, is powerful enough to work anywhere.

No chance:

You have to get a taste of freedom, and want it to continue, then work towards it.

Freedom is harder than Martial law.. Freedom is DAMN hard.. Being told what to do all the time is easy. Fighting back is hard...

But if you give ANY countries PEOPLE a taste of freedom and STAND BEHIND them so that everytime they look back for reassurance like a 3 year old at the edge of a pool.... then yes, they can do it.....

I think the question is, "What would keep democracy from working everywhere?", rather than "Can Democracy work everywhere"?

Because yes, it surely can. There are always possibilities. But will it? No. And why? That is the question.

One of the hardest places would have been Japan, worked out though ;)
Actually, Japan was pretty well-suited for democracy because it adopted western customs in the latter half of the 19th century during the Meiji period and it actually was ruled as a democracy for a brief period after World War I. They already had all the western-style legal mechanisms in place, so Japan adopted democracy much faster than Korea, Taiwan, or the Phillippines, which is still struggling with it to this day.

Even in that most favorable of conditions, it took 7 years of occupation, so building democracies is not an easy task by any means.

Archived