Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider:Redskins ready to make move (Merged)

DCsportsfan53

It was a part of a complete breakdown of the NFCE titled:

Redskins ready to make move

Washington Redskins

All the pieces finally seem to be in place for Gibbs to take the Redskins deep into the playoffs, and their best offseason acquisition may not even be a player. New offensive coordinator Al Saunders is a terrific play caller with a creative offensive mind, and he will install a new scheme with three wide receivers and one running back. The personnel he will put on the field will be explosive.

For the past couple of seasons, the offensive line seemed to struggle in pass protection. The Cowboys were forced to use a lot of max-protection schemes, featuring only one receiver. Those problems are less evident now and the receiving trio of Santana Moss and newly acquired free agents Brandon Lloyd (San Francisco) and Antwaan Randle El (Pittsburgh) can spread the field and give this offense and Brunell big-play capabilities.

The biggest benefactor may be RB Clinton Portis. He has great quickness and good vision, and now he can use his own run instincts to create seams and lanes versus a lot of soft nickel defenses -- although the patented Redskins' stretch play will still be their bread and butter.

Defensively, coordinator Gregg Williams loves the element of surprise and will change up his fronts, coverages and blitzes on a weekly basis. Although the Redskins are primarily a 4-3 defense, they will show some 3-4 fronts. Although they love to play man-to-man coverage behind their blitzes, we will see some Cover 1, Cover 2 and Cover 3 schemes in the secondary.

Although Arrington is gone, Washington has two new impact players on defense who will give them great versatility. DE Andre Carter (San Francisco) can line up on the edge in the 4-3 defense and can move to OLB in the 3-4 front. In both schemes he can be a terrific pass rusher.

Strong safety Adam Archuleta is a great hitter and will form one of the best safety duos in the NFL with FS Sean Taylor. Because of Archuleta's toughness, look for him to play close to the line of scrimmage, which leaves Taylor to cover the middle of the field in either a "man free" or Cover 3 scheme. Taylor has the range to get it done. This will be a one-gap, penetrating defense with a lot of interchangeable parts.

The Redskins have the most experienced coaching staff in the NFL. In addition to being good strategists, they are also excellent teachers. They retained 18 starters from a year ago and two of their new starters -- Archuleta and TE Christian Fauria -- are actually upgrades. The schedule is favorable, with most of the tough nonconference games at home, and remember that these Redskins posted a 5-1 record in the division in 2005. If Brunell stays healthy, Washington is a Super Bowl contender.

ESPN Insider

It was a part of a complete breakdown of the NFCE titled:

Redskins ready to make move

Washington Redskins

All the pieces finally seem to be in place for Gibbs to take the Redskins deep into the playoffs, and their best offseason acquisition may not even be a player. New offensive coordinator Al Saunders is a terrific play caller with a creative offensive mind, and he will install a new scheme with three wide receivers and one running back. The personnel he will put on the field will be explosive.

For the past couple of seasons, the offensive line seemed to struggle in pass protection. The Cowboys were forced to use a lot of max-protection schemes, featuring only one receiver. Those problems are less evident now and the receiving trio of Santana Moss and newly acquired free agents Brandon Lloyd (San Francisco) and Antwaan Randle El (Pittsburgh) can spread the field and give this offense and Brunell big-play capabilities.

The biggest benefactor may be RB Clinton Portis. He has great quickness and good vision, and now he can use his own run instincts to create seams and lanes versus a lot of soft nickel defenses -- although the patented Redskins' stretch play will still be their bread and butter.

ESPN Insider

hmm, i could have sworn we took that from the broncos. we didn't have that in our playbook in 2005 did we? or whatever year portis's first year here was.

Also, thanks for the article. one of the better ones i've read.

]']hmm' date=' i could have sworn we took that from the broncos. we didn't have that in our playbook in 2005 did we? or whatever year portis's first year here was.

Also, thanks for the article. one of the better ones i've read.[/quote']

yeah, I laughed at that one. Also, notice he accidentally refers to us as the Cowboys early in the article :( :laugh: . Maybe we run a slighty different version of the stretch play, or they are saying it's Al Saunders version of the stretch play (which was a big part of his KC offense)?

yeah, I laughed at that one. Also, notice he accidentally refers to us as the Cowboys early in the article :( :laugh: . Maybe we run a slighty different version of the stretch play, or they are saying it's Al Saunders version of the stretch play (which was a big part of his KC offense)?

Wow, maybe we're reading it wrong, but that's just plain disgusting. Don't they have proofreaders at ESPN?

Wow, maybe we're reading it wrong, but that's just plain disgusting. Don't they have proofreaders at ESPN?

Yeah, probably the worst typo possible.

I can't wait to see the hits flying around on the defensive side of the ball. I can't wait to see AA and ST running up to close a hole as some poor running back is trying to bounce through...

Its odd that now as the preseason inches closer the media is covering their asses? There are so many articles on so many websites that have the Skins finishing both in the cellar or being SB contenders. Its bizarre.

However, I won't lie, the media love does make me happy and excites me for the upcomming season...

Has anyone else noticed that all of these so called "editors" or whatever they are called, always fail to mention the fact that we now have one of the best offensive minds in the NFL, being Al Saunders?

These experts always seem to mention how good our defense has been and that we have added a couple of new wideouts, but no one ever mentions Al Saunders.

Has anyone else noticed that all of these so called "editors" or whatever they are called, always fail to mention the fact that we now have one of the best offensive minds in the NFL, being Al Saunders?

These experts always seem to mention how good our defense has been and that we have added a couple of new wideouts, but no one ever mentions Al Saunders.

Actually, they DO mention Saunders in this part of the article:

"All the pieces finally seem to be in place for Gibbs to take the Redskins deep into the playoffs, and their best offseason acquisition may not even be a player. New offensive coordinator Al Saunders is a terrific play caller with a creative offensive mind, and he will install a new scheme with three wide receivers and one running back. The personnel he will put on the field will be explosive."

This was a nice article despite its errors in words. :)

hmm. stretch play? Not really. We ran counters to the outside with pulling guards and similar, but never the classic stretxh play. Maybe they're calling that power toss play which was really succesful a stretch play, but I think they're worng. We've never had a tight end capable of blocking the classic stretch run by denver and indianapolis to perfection.

Actually, they DO mention Saunders in this part of the article:

This was a nice article despite its errors in words. :)

:laugh: First paragraph and I missed it. :doh:

But you are absolutely correct, this is a pretty good article. It is especially to me, because he actually does mention Saunders where as alot of editors fail to.

yea i saw that! i had to reread that line ten times before i realized he was talking about us. stuff like that should get you fired.
The Cowboys were forced to use a lot of max-protection schemes, featuring only one receiver.

wtf???

The Cowboys were forced to use a lot of max-protection schemes, featuring only one receiver.

wtf???

wtf???

wtf???

wtf???

wtf???

wtf???

wtf???

wtf???

The <Redskins>??? were forced to use a lot of max-protection schemes, featuring only one receiver.

OMG WTF DIE AND NEVER WRITE ANOTHER ARTICLE AGAIN.

:dallasuck :D

For the past couple of seasons, the offensive line seemed to struggle in pass protection. The Cowboys were forced to use a lot of max-protection schemes, featuring only one receiver.[/QOUTE]
yeah, I laughed at that one. Also, notice he accidentally refers to us as the Cowboys early in the article :(

Funny he should use their name when mentioning how the offensive line has struggled. Clearly, Cowgirl inferiority is in the back of even the average sportswriter's head.

I feel like I need a shower after reading that.

Ain't that the truth.

peace-

nomad

I hope that I am allowed to do this.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insi...%3fid%3d2487594

Washington Redskins

For the past couple of seasons, the offensive line seemed to struggle in pass protection. The Redskins were forced to use a lot of max-protection schemes, featuring only one receiver. Those problems are less evident now and the receiving trio of Santana Moss and newly acquired free agents Brandon Lloyd (San Francisco) and Antwaan Randle El (Pittsburgh) can spread the field and give this offense and Brunell big-play capabilities.

Defensively, coordinator Gregg Williams loves the element of surprise and will change up his fronts, coverages and blitzes on a weekly basis. Although the Redskins are primarily a 4-3 defense, they will show some 3-4 fronts. Although they love to play man-to-man coverage behind their blitzes, we will see some Cover 1, Cover 2 and Cover 3 schemes in the secondary.

Arrington is gone, but Washington has two new impact players on defense who will give them great versatility. DE Andre Carter (San Francisco) can line up on the edge in the 4-3 defense and can move to OLB in the 3-4 front. In both schemes he can be a terrific pass rusher.

Strong safety Adam Archuleta is a great hitter and will form one of the best safety duos in the NFL with FS Sean Taylor. Because of Archuleta's toughness, look for him to play close to the line of scrimmage, which leaves Taylor to cover the middle of the field in either a "man free" or Cover 3 scheme. Taylor has the range to get it done. This will be a one-gap, penetrating defense with a lot of interchangeable parts.

The Redskins have the most experienced coaching staff in the NFL. In addition to being good strategists, they are also excellent teachers. They retained 18 starters from a year ago and two of their new starters -- Archuleta and TE Christian Fauria -- are actually upgrades. The schedule is favorable, with most of the tough nonconference games at home, and remember that these Redskins posted a 5-1 record in the division in 2005. If Brunell stays healthy, Washington is a Super Bowl contender.

Archived