Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DVD Player Technology.... sweet!

Fergasun

Who says the latest technology has to cost a lot? When it comes to the DVD Player world, that is absolutely not true.

I bought my first player in 2001 for $130... I was pretty psyched that it had the ability to play VCDs... but most of the time I was never able to get my hands on VCDs. It was a decent player, with component out and DTS/Dolby Digital.

Recently, I've been downloading a lot of foreign TV shows and movies (Korean) for my wife... and we've used the fan subtitles to watch together. These were in the DivX format, and it was okay to watch on our computer... but would be nice to see on our living room TV. I've kicked around the idea of spending a bunch of money and putting in a HTPC... when I saw that some players have been able to play DivX.

Tonight I went to a local big-box electronics store and got a steal on a DVD play that also is able to play DivX. I was skeptical it it playing all of the files... some are widescreen, with subtitles... but so far I've been able to play EVERYTHING... the best part was it only cost $75! We are really thrilled to be able to see these things on TV, and the quality is about as near~TV as one can get. With a DVD burner this is practically a HTPC, without the price...

We are very impressed and very happy...

If I'm not mistaken I bought one that could play pretty much everything for 45$ at walmart several years ago.

Same here, used to be called APEX, now called Cyber something.....Great little dvd players, play anything.

Yea, a $40 dvd player will be fine for anyone who just wants to play some discs, but no true audio/visual phile would be caught with one. They're great for dorms and low budgets, but you won't get the same experience with a higher end player that has the latest deinterlacing chipset.

plugging a 5.1 system into a $40 player isn't anything but polishing a turd.

Yea, a $40 dvd player will be fine for anyone who just wants to play some discs, but no true audio/visual phile would be caught with one. They're great for dorms and low budgets, but you won't get the same experience with a higher end player that has the latest deinterlacing chipset.

plugging a 5.1 system into a $40 player isn't anything but polishing a turd.

It does progressive scan too. I'm about to plug it into my HDTV, so I'll let you know how the results are.

Archived