Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What does the Bible say about pre-maritial sex?

Fergasun

I got that the first time, and I understand what you were saying, but it also seemed like you were also saying he was lieing because of how he worded it. I think that is an unfair assesment, though I cant say if its true or not.

No....the way he worded it made it completely ambiguous...

I think I can live without the college chicks.

Suit yourself....more for me! :)

Didn't you know? You can manipulate the bible to say whatever you want. And all "laws" update with society, except the one about fags.

Its okay to have premarital sex, because that's the status quo, and 99.9% of Christians would be going to hell if it were still a sin.

Its not okay to be gay, because Christians don't like it.

thats quite a sweeping generalization isnt it Jrock? 99.9% huh? i must be that .01% left who folows the word of God then...

Who said anything about Logic? Logic is scientific...Beliefs and Faith are not based on fact or logic. Logically...man can't walk on water or make wine from water...but some people's beliefs and faith allow them to believe that this has happened.

:cheers: Couldn't of said it better...faith is the belief in the illogical, if it was logical, it would be easy...

The second, however, I am right about. The Bible uses language patterns that are no longer used. I don't mean LANGUAGE as it was written in either Aramaic or Greek. One easy to translate the other a little more difficult (however still able to translate).

However, many verses/chapters can be read by two people and they will come up with two completely different versions of what they believe is meant by it/them.

Also, books/scrolls were hand written by hand in that area for almost a millennium and a half after the bible was written... that means whomever was writing the copy could alter it to their liking or simply make mistakes. Imagine this process over such a long period of time... no way the bible is in the same as it once was IMO...

And although I don't want to question the devotion or discipline of cultures and their oral history/teachings...i keep thinking of the childhood game of "telephone", or whatever is was called:2cents:

wow.. I didn't know my sex life was this important to some of you guys.... :D

i'm 31, i've been married for 11 years

my wife is 28... I saw a hottie, and I married her, before I burned in my sins! :D :laugh:

1 Corinthians 7:9

but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

thats about as far as I will go with that one :silly:

and don't get us christians wrong... we like sex... Its our God who thought up the idea! :cheers:

wow.. I didn't know my sex life was this important to some of you guys....

i'm 31, i've been married for 11 years

my wife is 28... I saw a hottie, and I married her, and before I burned in my sins! :D :laugh:

thats about as far as I will go with that one :silly:

and don't get us christians wrong... we like sex... Its our God who thought up the idea! :cheers:

Dude...I don't really care about your sex life....you just claimed to have answered a question about it when you were blatantly ambiguous in your answer. I personally don't give a crap...if your wife is a hottie, I hope you've nailed her as much as possible.

:cheers:

A perfect case of society redefining God's will to fit thier own desires ;)

One of the Ten Commandments says "Thou Shall not Kill." Period. No exceptions for Nazi's or Terrorists or Murders or Warfare. Yet there seems to be so many people who "interpret" this Commandment to mean its ok to kill another human being.

The hypocrisy is seeing Christians protest when the Ten Commandments are taken down from a court room in the morning and cheer when a man is put to death in the evening.

:logo:

One of the Ten Commandments says "Thou Shall not Kill." Period. No exceptions for Nazi's or Terrorists or Murders or Warfare. Yet there seems to be so many people who "interpret" this Commandment to mean its ok to kill another human being.

The hypocrisy is seeing Christians protest when the Ten Commandments are taken down from a court room in the morning and cheer when a man is put to death in the evening.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Jesus said that the laws are made for man, not the other way around.

And He said that after He fixed something to eat on the Sabbath.

"A time for piece and a time for war." - The Bible

Jesus said that the laws are made for man, not the other way around.

And He said that after He fixed something to eat on the Sabbath.

"A time for piece and a time for war." - The Bible

No, no, no......it was the Rolling Stones that said that.... :)

Doesnt Jesus love me? People and bumper stickers keep telling me he does. Well, then premarital sex, drinking booze, lusting after women, and masturbating must be A-ok.

bcsig3um.jpg

HEY!!!! you can't use my sig...he only talks to me :laugh:

EVERY TIME.

And I said YOU were not a hypocrit. But there are tons of "Christians" who participate in pre-marital sex, and in the same breath condemn homosexuality.

:laugh: take a seat before ya hurt yourself JRock...arguing with the ubers...ya better have all your ducks in a row, and examples ready...trust me...I go round and round with em all the time :laugh:

You're lucky the Z-man went on vaca...he'd eat ya alive...these guys keep biblical quotes in a preverbial 6-shooter. I haven't even read any further, and I can tell you one of them will break out the...well, then they aren't true Christians then....and if they didn't...this is to them...

...What do you save that one for me only....jerks :silly:

Just looking out for ya my rugger brother ;)

If you interpret it to mean "not kill period " then you obviously have not read much of it :laugh:

Are christians hypocrites?

Yeah many are, including myself at times.

In fact the partial quote you used was pointing that fact out :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If you interpret it to mean "not kill period " then you obviously have not read much of it :laugh:

Are christians hypocrites?

Yeah many are, including myself at times.

In fact the partial quote you used was pointing that fact out :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How much more is there to "Thou shall not kill." ? :)

And I used the quote as a springboard to illustrate Christains do the same thing. It was not a jab at you personaly, twa. If you felt it was, I appologize as it was not my intent.

No problem :D

As far as the killing part,i'm sure there are plenty of threads discussing it.

here is a short answer:

Thou shalt not kill" in the KJV translation, is translated "You shall not murder"2 in modern translations - because these translations represents the real meaning of the Hebrew text. The Bible in Basic English translates the phrase, "Do not put anyone to death without cause."2 The Hebrew word used here is ratsach,3 which nearly always refers to intentional killing without cause (unless indicated otherwise by context). Hebrew law recognized accidental killing as not punishable. In fact, specific cities were designated as "cities of refuge," so that an unintentional killer could flee to escape retribution.4 The Hebrew word for "kill" in this instance is not ratsach, but nakah, which can refer to either premeditated or unintentional killing, depending upon context.5 Other Hebrew words also can refer to killing.6-8 The punishment for murder was the death sentence.9 However, to be convicted, there needed to be at least two eyewitnesses.10

Also, books/scrolls were hand written by hand in that area for almost a millennium and a half after the bible was written... that means whomever was writing the copy could alter it to their liking or simply make mistakes. Imagine this process over such a long period of time... no way the bible is in the same as it once was IMO...

I'm sorry, but the evidence suggests that we do, in fact, have virtually exactly the same documents as were written. For one thing, the idea that the translations occured by hand for 1500 years is irrelevant, because the translations of today don't use all of those, they use the earliest texts.

While it is true that the Bible has been translated many times into many different languages, all of of our current translations come directly from the source documents which are in the original Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew, so the

translation/retranslation "telephone game" objection has no merit. It's not like the NIV is a retranslation of the King James. And, as I am fond of saying, the Bible was not written in English.

Now, I will admit up front that we don't have the original texts. This is not unusual for documents of antiquity, as you will see if you peruse the link I will provide below. The question then becomes, can we trust the copies?

The answer is yes. We have a great number of texts and fragments of texts, scattered far enough, early enough, and with nearly total agreement, that we can trust that there is no significant transmission error. Please read Are the Biblical Documents Reliable for a good brief overview of this. I'll just quote two passages:

In his book, The Bible and Archaeology, Sir Frederic G. Kenyon, former director and principal librarian of the British Museum, stated about the New Testament, "The interval, then, between the dates of original composition and the earliest extant evidence becomes so small as to be in fact negligible, and the last foundation for any doubt that the Scriptures have come down to us substantially as they were written has now been removed. Both the authenticity and the general integrity of the books of the New Testament may be regarded as finally established."{8}

To be skeptical of the 27 documents in the New Testament, and to say they are unreliable is to allow all of classical antiquity to slip into obscurity, for no documents of the ancient period are as well attested bibliographically as these in the New Testament.

B. F. Westcott and F.J.A. Hort, the creators of The New Testament in Original Greek, also commented: "If comparative trivialities such as changes of order, the insertion or omission of the article with proper names, and the like are set aside, the works in our opinion still subject to doubt can hardly mount to more than a thousandth part of the whole New Testament."{9} In other words, the small changes and variations in manuscripts change no major doctrine: they do not affect Christianity in the least. The message is the same with or without the variations. We have the Word of God.

and

A further witness to the New Testament text is sourced in the thousands of quotations found throughout the writings of the Church Fathers (the early Christian clergy [100-450 A.D.] who followed the Apostles and gave leadership to the fledgling church, beginning with Clement of Rome (96 A.D.).

It has been observed that if all of the New Testament manuscripts and Versions mentioned above were to disappear overnight, it would still be possible to reconstruct the entire New Testament with quotes from the Church Fathers, with the exception of fifteen to twenty verses!

A level of agreement well over 99% (leaving out spelling errors and the like), with no major doctrine affected, and with all but a handful of verses externally verifiable by the writings of the early church fathers, doesn't sound unreliable to me. Nor can it reasonably be argued that there have been wholesale changes, because those would show up in comparison between manuscripts, and no such change exists.

I would also add that while there have indeed been some translation issues over the years, the reason we caught those is precisely because of the level of source documentation I'm talking about. When changes have occured for one reason or another, they have been weeded out by comparison to the other lines of manuscipts and earlier versions of the same line.

I don't get into these threads for a good reason. I'm active in my church (Roman Catholic) and know more then a few of our priests quite well.

If any of these priests were to see the pompas, selfrichous, happy horse **** that's flung around in these threads, they would get a good laugh.

That's all I have to say on the subject (S) of what does the bible say...........

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

It's easy to single out homosexuality because it's one of those sins straight men are in no danger of doing. Much harder to focus on the sins you may well be guilty of. Just see how many react when you ask them a basic question that goes to the heart of what Jesus demands of his followers:

"How have you sacrificed for the needy?"

Just remember that the bible tells us that we will know them by their fruit. Words don't mean much.

"A time for peace and a time for war"- attributed to King Soloman.

Not Jesus.

Not God.

Just thought I would point that out.

1 Tim.3:16

All scripture is given by the inspiration of God.

Malachi

3:6: For I am the LORD, I change not;

Hebrews 13:8

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

just thought I would point that out.

If God never changes then His commands never changes.You think things change with the "times" but it is us who changes not God.And we will suffer not Him.If God says pre-marital sex is wrong then it is wrong,point blank no matter if we think times have changed or not.

You mean that guy that God called the wisest man ever.

you mean that guy the heathen Freemasons base things off of :rolleyes:

(sidenote: I like to add things like this when the ubers mention something related to Freemasonry, because many of them called us a cult, but use those things when it suits their purpose....there's your hypocrisy JRock ;) )

Archived