Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins developing youth and depth along offensive line

ArmchairRedskin

By David Murray on June 12, 2006 12:24 AM

Click for rest of article

The Washington Redskins made quite a splash in the offseason free agent market when they signed big play wide receivers Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El. With stars like Santana Moss, emerging tight end Chris Cooley, running back Clinton Portis and veteran quarterback Mark Brunell already in the fold, all of the pieces for a high powered offense seemed to be in place.

But are they really? Let's take a look. The offensive line did a tremendous job in 2005 protecting the gimpy Brunell and opening big holes for the explosive Portis. But when right guard Randy Thomas went down, the Redskins season seemed to go down with him. The Skins had no choice but to turn to the venerable Ray Brown and undersized backup center Cory Raymer for help filling in, but both were also banged up and hurting, and neither was able to adequately man the void and the Skins amazing playoff run abruptly ended.

During the offseason, Brown retired and Raymer was released in a cap-saving move. But if anybody thought the Skins would rush to sign a big name free agent or make an offensive lineman a priority in the draft they were mistaken. If anybody can sift out offensive line talent it is Joe Gibbs and the legendary Boss Hog himself, Joe Bugel. And perhaps the best example of all time is Joe Jacoby, an undrafted free agent who became one of the original Hogs.

Quietly the Redskins have stockpiled a talented group of young centers and guards to take to camp including 7th round draft pick Kili Lefotu from Arizona, free agent guard Jim Jones, a two year vet from Notre Dame who came from Pittsburgh, Mike Pucillo, who started six games for the Browns last season, and Tyson Walter, who came over from the Texans.

I keep saying....I don't think offensive line depth is as big a problem as everyone seems to think. Of course there will be a step down from our starting talent, but what team can say there wouldn't a step down in talent?? Not to mention, I think Molinaro will surprise a lot of people if he is forced into duty this year. He's been getting whipped into shape by Boss Hog, and they wouldn't have kept him around this long if they didn't think he was something special...:2cents:

Sorry, I'm still not sold yet. A backup OL from the WORST OL in the NFL is supposed to make me feel better???

Just remember how many of our current starters made up the O-Line during the Spurrier days. I am willing to give this guy a shot to develop as a backup.

Well it sure is scary going into the season with out at least one proven OL backup (especially at OT). I must admit though, this staff has always pulled it off!

What are you talking about?? Pucillo has played in 25 games and started 18 = proven. Tyson Walter has played in 40 games, started 9 = proven. Molinaro isn't proven yet, but he will have had three offseasons of coaching from Boss Hog, so if he's not ready by now, he never will be.

Archived