Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why US soccer is not on par with the rest of the world

jbooma

Different sports require different skills.

If you cant grasp that simple, but very important fact, then you will continue to falsely believe that an athlete in one sport could be in any.

There is a reason that it's rare to see a Soccer player over 6-2 or 6-3.

LOL. i just basically explained that two posts ago! LOL what are u reading man.

This chat is over. LOL

but baseketball players playing in NFL or soccer? differnt story. ive exlpained in my previous post how basketball players would have advantage in soccer and football.

which does not make sense, sorry but just because you can jump does not mean you can head the ball correctly, if that were the case then every team would have 6'8 plus guys on playing, and last i checked only a few soccer players are very tall, unless you think we are the only country that has tall athletes

when it comes to football it has been proven that some baketball players can play football, look at the TE's, however if what you said was the case then you would have more kids who do not make the NBA and playing in the NFL, but you don't

If you cant grasp that simple, but very important fact, then you will continue to falsely believe that an athlete in one sport could be in any.

Just like it was rare to see a smaller player as a star WR a few years ago.

It's all about perception. How many thought that the small WR's would

be dominating the NFL like they are now? Only a moron would think

otherwise...:D

You're total moron if you think a great athlete from one sport could have been a great athlete in any sport.

:rolleyes: We probably could have done without the first comment, and simply heard the second one. But as one of the "total morons," I feel the need to respond.

Do you really think, a phenomenal, sturdy, fast and < 6'0 athletes like LaDanian Tomlinson, Clinton Portis, Tiki Barber, Santana Moss, etc. would not be good at soccer if they trained their entire lives in it?? Do you really think that an athlete like Ronaldhino, if he'd been playing American football his entire life wouldn't be the starting RB somewhere?

That, Kilmer, is the moronic statement, not the other way around. Great athletes train their bodies to play their specific sports. In America, the popular sports happen to be football and basketball. But do you really think that if LaDanian Tomlinson was born and raised in Rio that he wouldn't be an elite soccer player right now? :doh:

:rolleyes: We probably could have done without the first comment, and simply heard the second one. But as one of the "total morons," I feel the need to respond.

Do you really think, a phenomenal, sturdy, fast and < 6'0 athletes like LaDanian Tomlinson, Clinton Portis, Tiki Barber, Santana Moss, etc. would not be good at soccer if they trained their entire lives in it?? Do you really think that an athlete like Ronaldhino, if he'd been playing American football his entire life wouldn't be the starting RB somewhere?

That, Kilmer, is the moronic statement, not the other way around. Great athletes train their bodies to play their specific sports. In America, the popular sports happen to be football and basketball. But do you really think that if LaDanian Tomlinson was born and raised in Rio that he wouldn't be an elite soccer player right now? :doh:

Not only do I think that, Im certain that if ever did happen, it would be the exception and not the rule.

There are certainly "special" athletes that COULD have that ability, but not the overwhelming majority.

It's the same reason that great sprinters wouldnt have been great marathon runners.

It's a different skill.

Great athletes train their bodies to play sports specific to their natual skills, we do not know if any of them could play baseball, or soccer who knows. I know guys who are over 6 foot and are great atheletes but can not dunk a 6 foot hoop, they do not have coordination to do it, but they are still great atheletes.

I would also add many kids first sport is soccer so maybe they were not good at it which is why the moved on to other sports.

Great athletes train their bodies to play sports specific to their natual skills, we do not know if any of them could play baseball, or soccer who knows. I know guys who are over 6 foot and are great atheletes but can not dunk a 6 foot hoop, they do not have coordination to do it, but they are still great atheletes.

Garbage. Athletic ability is athletic ability. The athleticism required to play in the NFL would more than suffice for soccer, if the players had trained for it their entire lives. Not all players, mind you, Ted Washington would never have made it on Real Madrid :laugh:. But the skill players in the NFL, predominantly any of them with sub 4.6 speed could have found a place on a soccer pitch.

I would also add many kids first sport is soccer so maybe they were not good at it which is why the moved on to other sports.

Many kids first sport was pee-wee football in America. My first sports were soccer and baseball, but that's only because my mom wouldn't let me play football :mad: :laugh:.

Not only do I think that, Im certain that if ever did happen, it would be the exception and not the rule.

There are certainly "special" athletes that COULD have that ability, but not the overwhelming majority.

It's the same reason that great sprinters wouldnt have been great marathon runners.

It's a different skill.

How can you say that with a straight face? A different skill? Of course it is! But that's why they would have trained for it their entire lives, and be good at it. Its quite ridiculous to think otherwise.

Garbage. Athletic ability is athletic ability. The athleticism required to play in the NFL would more than suffice for soccer, if the players had trained for it their entire lives. Not all players, mind you, Ted Washington would never have made it on Real Madrid :laugh:. But the skill players in the NFL, predominantly any of them with sub 4.6 speed could have found a place on a soccer pitch.

:.

I highly doubt Drew Bledsoe would work out :laugh: :laugh:

The thing about soccer players they run more then any other sport, plus they do not lift as much as football players etc... I agree RB's have the ability to run around and play (imagine Barry Sanders) but I think you are missing on how important foot control and coordination mean to soccer players. Not everyone who is athletic has the same ability with their feet. Running with a ball and kicking a ball while running are completely different and not everyone can handle it no matter how much training they have, think of someone hitting a baseball, some of it is athletic ability, the other is skills you were born with that others can not do.

I do not disagree where some atheletes can do both, Kobe was a good soccer player before just concentrating on bball, however I think the actual amount that can do that is smaller then you think.

No, it's quite ridiculous and arrogant to think that an athlete can excel in any event.

It's a convenient excuse that people in the US use to try and explain why we dont dominate the sport of soccer.

Can a world class Violinist have become a world class tuba player?

Could a world class ballet dancer have become a world class tap star?

One skill does not translate to another as easily as peopl ehere seem to believe.

Great athletes train their bodies to play sports specific to their natual skills, we do not know if any of them could play baseball, or soccer who knows.

no kidding sherlock. tell us something that we dont know. u ever heard of developing skills? again, ive exdplained this in my previous post.

I know guys who are over 6 foot and are great atheletes but can not dunk a 6 foot hoop, they do not have coordination to do it, but they are still great atheletes.

thats nice but we are talking about professional basketball players and professional soccer players. listen, if a basketball player can dribble behind their backs, between their legs , joox and cross over a defender, mostly likely they would be able to use their vetical leaping ability to direct a header in the soccer field but more importantly, control a soccer ball with their feet. coordination and ability to do so is all there. its just matter of developing their skills. how do u do that? play everyday, practice practice. like ive said, if basketball players played soccer all their lives.... it would be a differerent story. im sure uve played soccer and basketball, ot not. i have. ive played soccer , basketball , football, baseball. they were all hard to do when i first played them. the more i played, i got better at all of them. it just boggle my mind how these two posters think. LOL. its actually amusing.

is that a fact or ur assuming? its dangerous to assume, dont u know man?

maybe oversea, it mightve been soccer as their first sport but here in the US, not even close. Do u not know that addidas and nike has their own high school for highly recruited high school basketball players? basketball and football is where its at here in the stats. its a highly lucrative business. to say many have played soccer as their first sport is fine. i can buy that but to say they were not good at it is pretty insulting to those who found soccer just boring compare to baskebtall and foootball? u ever thought about that? KObe Bryant lived in italy while his dad was playing basketball in european league. in school, he played soccer becaue it was THE sport. there has been interviews and articles on how kobe couldve been a great soccer player. his italian schoolmates were even interviewed while back when nba had a segment on kobe during his italy days and how he is bilingual. then after soccer, kobe would play basketball and all his schoolmates were in AWE with kobe about what he could do on the court. KObe said he never pursued soccer because obviously, basketball was in his heart. just a little story i thought i share.

One skill does not translate to another as easily as peopl ehere seem to believe.

I suppose by 'people' you are including me... so I'll reply.

Although I somewhat agree with JRock... I think you are missing the main point. Which is basically, if the US cared about soccer, there would be an entire legion of names out there who right now you have not heard of. Probably because they're doing something else... selling insurance maybe, or working fast food.

But had they been raised in a soccer environment, they would have been 'discovered'. But because they weren't, they're not. :)

That is really akin to saying that if you were to educate one out of every 50 children in this country, the quality and number of educated adults would remain unchanged if you changed that ratio to educating 50/50 kids.

Think about it Kilmer. I don't know if you're just looking for a casual debate or what... but it is really the only logical explanation for you to believe what you do. Because it is completely illogical.

I highly doubt Drew Bledsoe would work out :laugh: :laugh:

Drew Bledsoe doesn't have sub 4.6 speed, either. ;)

The thing about soccer players they run more then any other sport, plus they do not lift as much as football players etc... I agree RB's have the ability to run around and play (imagine Barry Sanders) but I think you are missing on how important foot control and coordination mean to soccer players. Not everyone who is athletic has the same ability with their feet. Running with a ball and kicking a ball while running are completely different and not everyone can handle it no matter how much training they have, think of someone hitting a baseball, some of it is athletic ability, the other is skills you were born with that others can not do.

I do not disagree where some atheletes can do both, Kobe was a good soccer player before just concentrating on bball, however I think the actual amount that can do that is smaller then you think.

I agree that dribbling skills are highly specialized; even in professional soccer, not all have mastered it. But its just like dribbling a basketball. If you train your entire life at dribbling a soccer ball, 10 years every day you go play with friends like Kilmer said, then you'll get good at it. I could be good at dribbling a soccer ball if I had done it every day for my entire life. Combine that with the natural speed and strength of some of the players I mentioned and bam, instant soccer player. I don't see how you can argue that.

A perfect example is Magic Johnson. He wasn't the greatest dribbler, so to get better he dribbled a basketball everywhere he went. On his bike, on the way to school, everywhere. What if instead of a basketball it was a soccer ball?

No, it's quite ridiculous and arrogant to think that an athlete can excel in any event.

:rolleyes: Ridiculous and arrogant?? NFL athletes are some of the tops in the world; its ridiculous to think they wouldn't have made good soccer players.

Can a world class Violinist have become a world class tuba player?

Could a world class ballet dancer have become a world class tap star?

Both of those examples are totally irrelevant, however there are many musicians who excel at multiple instruments. And most dancers learn multiple dancing styles. But regardless, those are not even comparable to what we're talking about.

Jbooma, that's an obvious exaggeration. Maybe you meant to write 8 foot hoop, but if someone is over 6 feet tall and can't dunk on a 6 foot hoop, then they aren't a great athlete.

Both of those examples are totally irrelevant, however there are many musicians who excel at multiple instruments.

Very true.

Most professional musicians can play several instruments, but choose one to master. The one they love.

And I guess now would be a good time to bring up Bo Jackson, Tony Gonzales, and Deion Sanders.

Interesting debate

I will continue to side with the crowd that says our best athletes stateside could dominate in soccer

Skill sets do translate. I played soccer up until 8th grade, then after that picked up lacrosse and football. In all those sports I was a quality player with coaching, patience and improved technique

I simply do not understand why so many people have this disconnect that our best athletes could not excel in soccer, had they been playing it since a young age, and spending as much time on the pitch as they did on the basketball court

NFL athletes pale in comparison athletically to the top soccer players in the world.

Zoony, your point is a valid one. But it's not the same as what is being argued. I believe we have enough soccer talent in the US to be the best in the world. What I dont believe is that those players are playing in NBA or NFL instead.

Athletic hability is not the most important hability in soccer... Look at Riquelme... Robinho etc etc.

This game is playing with FOOT... Wich is very specific. This is why best athlete will never dominate soccer.

I completely disagree with statements like this

Yes the game is played with the foot, but how do you develop those foot skills?

Certainly by practicing.

So now if the best athletes in America spent time kicking around a soccer ball all day in their youth, as opposed to dribbling a basketball, would they not be a world class soccer player?

Very true.

Most professional musicians can play several instruments, but choose one to master. The one they love.

And I guess now would be a good time to bring up Bo Jackson, Tony Gonzales, and Deion Sanders.

Exactly....they pick one instrument that they love to play, just like athletes pick one sport that they love to play (or in some rare cases two). If they were raised in Brazil, its soccer. If they were raised in the US, its basketball, football or baseball. End of story.

Skill sets do translate. I played soccer up until 8th grade, then after that picked up lacrosse and football. In all those sports I was a quality player with coaching, patience and improved technique

Exactly...and there are some athletic traits that are universal, namely speed, agility and balance. All elite athletes have those base skills; and can train for any others.

Kilmer -- I'm not just talking about American athletes in soccer; I believe also that if Ronaldhino had been born in America and exposed to football all his life, he'd be elite at that. I'm arguing that training in a sport since you were old enough to physically do it + phenomenal athletic ability = elite athlete at whatever sport.

NFL athletes pale in comparison athletically to the top soccer players in the world.

Zoony, your point is a valid one. But it's not the same as what is being argued. I believe we have enough soccer talent in the US to be the best in the world. What I dont believe is that those players are playing in NBA or NFL instead.

I think we do have enough soccer talent in America to be the best in the world, and I think we would have an abundance of that talent if guys in the NFL, NHL and NBA were playing soccer instead of those sports

Quickness, conditioning, endurance are all hallmarks of an NFL, NHL and NBA athlete. As we have argued your average d-lineman won't be a quality player in soccer, but your RB and CB just might. Shaq would not be an asset on the pitch, but Dwayne Wade, Gilbert Arenas and Kobe Bryant would

I just cannot see how those guys, had they been playing soccer and practicing it as a kid like they played and practiced basketball, would NOT be able to translate the hand eye coordination to foot eye coordination

So now if the best athletes in America spent time kicking around a soccer ball all day in their youth, as opposed to dribbling a basketball, would they not be a world class soccer player?

Yes... and this is true for every country in the world.

For being good you need to practice every day and being well accompagned... This is true for the US in Basket or Football (not really in europe) but this is not true for the soccer.

You practice Basket and Football... We practice Soccer. Here is the only difference...

I completely disagree with statements like this

Yes the game is played with the foot, but how do you develop those foot skills?

Certainly by practicing.

thats what they dont understand. it just boggles my mind. LOL

That kilmer guy is hilarious. he just states his own opinion and doesnt back it up with anything. LOL ur always gonna have one or two that will think otherwise. its part of life.

Archived