Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why US soccer is not on par with the rest of the world

jbooma

We still teach our kids "gang soccer" (everyone chase the ball) here in the US. Until we stop that, we're never going to get anywhere in the sport.

So true! I brought my 6 year old daughter in to watch Brazil and Croatia on Univision ("Dad, why isn't there any sound?"...."I muted it because their speaking Spanish sweetheart.") and showed her what soccer is supposed to look like. I realize that her team could probably never pass too much at her age but but the "gang" approach drives me absolutely nuts.

We were ranked #5 in the world by FIFA in May 2006 and #4 in April 2006. That is at least "on par with the rest of the world."

How can you say we are "not even close to european soccer" when we were ranked ahead of all but 2 of their teams?

Those rankings are a joke and nobody takes them seriously. They don't factor in strength of schedule. We spank teams like Barbados and Haiti to boost our "rank" up.

Theres no chance in hell were better than teams "below" us like Argentina or Spain.

An athlete is an athlete, in my very diverse athletic experience. My friends who are great athletes can pick up any sport and in time be very good at it. Now, I don't believe this holds true always- certain sports reward quickness over speed, or size, so not every athlete could translate. But you can't tell me Vick or Tomlinson couldn't make great soccer players. Of Doug Flutie for that matter. :laugh:

If that is the case then how can all the europian teams (white players) compete so we all know white men can't jump :laugh: :laugh:

There are two main reasons why the US soccer is not even close to european soccer.

The first is passion, the other countries the passion is there, soccer is everything to them. I would add they are more passionate about soccer then we are about football. The live and breathe soccer, whenever there is a break from their day they get a ball and kick it around, no matter the place.

The other reason has to do with soccer education. In the US when we are little we play on teams that are usually coached by someones parent, and most likely someone who has not played on a high level. In countries around the world especially South America kids are being taught by people that have played at high levels, maybe not the euro leagues but people who understand everything about soccer.

My wife's family has a cousin who was like 13 and already being scouted to play, they do not play on little leagues where here we just want everyone to play they play on teams that you only make it if you are good. He has already been offered to study in Brazil if he wanted too.

These are some of the main reasons why the US can not hang with the other countries, and I do not know when anything will change if ever.

I will say the US is getting better at the pro level and college level, but we still have a long way to go.

Way off .

reasons why its not even close to european soccer is because one, our best athletes dont play soccer. simple as that. Our best athletes play foootball and basketball. we raise our kids to be basketball or football players as oppose to europe where they raise their kids to be soccer players.

two, soccer isnt lucrative sport. basketballl and football is where all the money is at just like soccer is where all the money is at in europe. the fact is this. no matter how much the soccer league promotes, commericalize and puts money in to US soccer (MLS), it will never surpass baskeball and football, because the best athletes play basketball and football meaning those two sports will have the best quality of competetion,

I grew up playig soccer, baseball, football and basketball. i liked soccer but once i got introduced to football and basketball, soccer was a joke to me.

It has nothing to do with athletic ability, it has everything to do with skill. Don't get me wrong speed kills, but not everyone needs to run a 4.0 :D

not just soccer, football or basketball but everything u do in life requires skill. if u happened to have better atheltic ability, that just happens to be a huge advantage. no one in their right mind would pput a basketball or a football player in a soccer field and have them compete with a season veteran soccer players. thats nonsense. if top basketball and football players grew up playing soccer all their lives instead of football or basketball, clearly they would be by far better soccer players than what professional soccer players of today.

not just soccer, football or basketball but everything u do in life requires skill. if u happened to have better atheltic ability, that just happens to be a huge advantage. no one in their right mind would pput a basketball or a football player in a soccer field and have them compete with a season veteran soccer players. thats nonsense. if top basketball and football players grew up playing soccer all their lives instead of football or basketball, clearly they would be by far better soccer players than what professional soccer players of today.

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? Can any of our basketball or football players kick a ball like Beckam and the greats??? Some kids have great hand-eye coordination (baseball) some are tall, super fast and huge vertical (basketball) some of a combination of everything and can take a beating (football) just because those athelets can do that does not mean the can run down the field going in out dribbling past others with their feet, perform pin point passes and kick the ball so it can curve at a certain degree to bypass the defender.

Some of the greatest soccer players in the world are not the greatest atheletes.

I find it laughable that some of you think the athletes from other sports if went a different direction when young could be world class soccer players, shows to me that many here still do not get it.

If everyone could kick a ball great then we would not have a problem finding a good punter now would we :D

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? Can any of our basketball or football players kick a ball like Beckam and the greats??? Some kids have great hand-eye coordination (baseball) some are tall, super fast and huge vertical (basketball) some of a combination of everything and can take a beating (football) just because those athelets can do that does not mean the can run down the field going in out dribbling past others with their feet, perform pin point passes and kick the ball so it can curve at a certain degree to bypass the defender.

Some of the greatest soccer players in the world are not the greatest atheletes.

I find it laughable that some of you think the athletes from other sports if went a different direction when young could be world class soccer players, shows to me that many here still do not get it.

If everyone could kick a ball great then we would not have a problem finding a good punter now would we :D

do u even read dude?

thats why i said "if top basketball and football players grew up playing soccer all their lives instead of football or basketball, clearly they would be by far better soccer players than what professional soccer players of today." its like giving a soccer player a basketball and they wont even know how to dribble between their legs. why because theyve never played it. please pay attention. cool

If you took the best basketball player in the US and made them play football from a young age instead, would that person be a great football player?

It's a stupid argument to make.

are u serious man? what kind of a question is that? of course they would be. u would have so many stud wide recievers , it wont even be funny. u would have so many Randy Moss in the league, randy moss himself wouldnt stand out. The vertical leap on these basketball players is sick. just go watch randy moss play and see how many times moss has grabbed it out of the air just be QB tossing it up in the air. it shouldnt even be discussed.

If you took the best basketball player in the US and made them play football from a young age instead, would that person be a great football player?

are u serious man? what kind of a question is that? of course they would be. u would have so many stud wide recievers , it wont even be funny. u would have so many Randy Moss in the league, randy moss himself wouldnt stand out. The vertical leap on these basketball players is sick. just go watch randy moss play and see how many times moss has grabbed it out of the air just be QB tossing it up in the air. it shouldnt even be discussed.

good grief

:doh:

Jim Brown was a better lacrosse player than football.

But back to the thread.We are a xenophonic nation.If it isn't "homegrown" we fear it.Remember that the main American sports were segregated until fifty years ago, thus gauging ability is an iffy propsect.

do u even read dude?

thats why i said "if top basketball and football players grew up playing soccer all their lives instead of football or basketball, clearly they would be by far better soccer players than what professional soccer players of today." its like giving a soccer player a basketball and they wont even know how to dribble between their legs. why because theyve never played it. please pay attention. cool

you not understand what I am saying, there are certain skills that others just can not do, doesn't matter how much time they have trying it.

Look at golf and baseball, no matter how young kids are and if they do it day after day after day, but some will never be able to be good no matter how much they practice, the same with basketball

if that was the case then you would see 100's of tiger woods, but last i checked there is just one

Imagine if this country's best athletes played soccer.

Imagine Michael Vick, Deion Sanders (in his prime of course :silly: ), Michael Jordan, and Jerry Rice in soccer uniforms.

What country would stand a chance?

The rest of the world who laughs at our soccer program should spend less time laughing and more time being thankful that we don't take it seriously. :laugh: B/C if this country ever did get serious about soccer, they would basically hand out a jar of vaseline to all of the other world cup teams every 4 years. Pray for lubrication... that would be about all other countries could do. :2cents:

:applause:

Randy Moss would be sick at soccer, he would try and grap the ball all the time and get penalized, and then run out of breath from all the smoking :laugh: :laugh:

He would not have the patience to be a goalie and just walk off the field at the 90th minute screaming at his defenders :)

Vick would be great as well with how accurate he is as a passer :D

You're total moron if you think a great athlete from one sport could have been a great athlete in any sport.

one thing is certain. u are good at indirectly calling other members here names and cant post with one valid point on why u think the way u do.

again, its common sense. try not to be narrow minded. when growing up as a kid , when u first dribbled a basketball or kicked a soccer ball, u werent good at it regadless of physical abilities right? then the more u do it, u get better at it right? then as u mature, u begin to shape phsyically right? some better than others. if u think physicality has nothing to do with physical sport whether it is basketball, football , socccer...etc, i think u my freind is the one who is naive here.

what part of when i said " basketball players would make great WRs in NFL" if they played football instead of basketball all their lives did u not udnerstand? common sense my man.

let me give u another example. basketball players playing soccer. u cant visualize basketball players who are freaks of nature compared to soccer player being a better player? basketball players who are taller and stronger in general with longer leg strides, way better vertical leap, etc wouldnt be able to compete with soccer players today if baskebtall players played soccer instead of basketball all their lives? take an average basketball player and put him as a goalie. those goals that are scored by less than a inch or so wouldnt be a goal if basketball players with longer arms and higher vertical leap than average soccer gaolie. common sense. how often do u see soccer players jumping in the air fighting for headers? imagine baketball players in that situation. they would 99% of the time win that header. how about corner kicks? can u imagine baskebtalll players with 35-40 inch vertical leap out jumping everyone for the header to score?

listen dude, skills can take u so much but when u are not physically up to par with others, u will be at disadvantage. its how God created us. it was meant to be. no ifs or buts about it. sure there might be expections but we are talking about group of people in general. average is the key word.

:applause:

you not understand what I am saying, there are certain skills that others just can not do, doesn't matter how much time they have trying it.

Look at golf and baseball, no matter how young kids are and if they do it day after day after day, but some will never be able to be good no matter how much they practice, the same with basketball

if that was the case then you would see 100's of tiger woods, but last i checked there is just one

yeah but gain, ur takling about golf where freaks of nature wont be able to fully use their physical talents. matter of fact, they woulnt even be using 80% of it. how can a basketball player with 40 inch vertical leap be able to use it in golf? baseball would be a different story but they still wont be able to use it fully since baseball on defense and offense requires being idle certain part of the game.

but baseketball players playing in NFL or soccer? differnt story. ive exlpained in my previous post how basketball players would have advantage in soccer and football.

Different sports require different skills.

If you cant grasp that simple, but very important fact, then you will continue to falsely believe that an athlete in one sport could be in any.

There is a reason that it's rare to see a Soccer player over 6-2 or 6-3.

You're total moron if you think a great athlete from one sport could have been a great athlete in any sport.

I agree.

MJ was the best b-ball player to live and he couldn't cut it in the minor leagues of baseball. I'd also love to see him play football.

The fact is, people are using the "our best athletes don't play soccer" argument because the team that just waxed us had a 6'7" player on it. Naturally, they assume that all of our 6'7" athletes would be much better soccer players.

Archived