Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which sport is the hardest to "Go Pro" in?

Dapo

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The question is simple..which sport is the hardest to go pro?

I think basketball is the hardest but soccer comes in at a close second. I know everybody will say football but come on. If you are fast and strong,you can at least have a chance of playing professionally. Soccer and Basketball takes God given talent and years of practice and dedication in order to make it professionally.

Football? Hard to become pro? With an anuall draft of 250ish players? Whats the end cut for the regular season? 52 players? 32 teams times 52 players = 1664. Thats a lot of room for people to get a gig in the NFL compared to the small pool of other sports.

Football should not be picked at all.

The toughest professional sport to join is the one that has the smallest pool of availability (but still has a professional league). NASCAR only has 44 drivers in the Nextel cup.

Thats a pretty tough spot to jump into compared to what is available in other mainstream sports organizations. However, I wouldn't call racing the same level of sport as most of the others you mentioned (golf = game of skill), so I digress...

To Soccer. I think a lot of why it is tough to get into is that its probably the least popular of any sport in the U.S. (any sport that has a professional association). Some of that has to do with college sports. Basketball and football are big in college. Soccer has a following, but it pales in comparison to some of the other stuff mentioned.

"Which is the hardest to play?" is a different question, as is the comparing of various athletes' talent at their respective crafts (ie: is clinton portis' football talent higher than tiger woods' golf talent?).

Hockey.. Most people cant even stand up on skates let alone do some of the moves the hockey guys can do.. PLUS take the hits they take... Anyone can step foot on a football field or basketball court and at least play the game in some manner.. Not many people can even skate...

j

Hockey.. Most people cant even stand up on skates let alone do some of the moves the hockey guys can do.. PLUS take the hits they take... Anyone can step foot on a football field or basketball court and at least play the game in some manner.. Not many people can even skate...

j

I agree -- hockey combines skills from baseball (hand eye coordination), football (hitting and taking hits), soccer and basketball (passing). And you have to be able to do all that on ice skates. The hardest by far.

I think people should consider the question a little more.

"which sport is the hardest to go pro?"

Golf, while it is a game that requires pretty serious skill, it is not hard to go pro when there are multiple tournaments with 70ish golfers at a time.

NASCAR only has about 135 total positions to be a driver.

That, alone, is all I need to know to decide this.

The toughest professional sport to join is the one that has the smallest pool of availability (but still has a professional league). NASCAR only has 44 drivers in the Nextel cup

There are more than 44 drivers Nascar races only field 42-43 drivers per race there are more that don't qualify. Not to metion spending 3-4 hours making left turns at an average speed of 160-200mph

It's hard to say it's between Football, Hockey & Nascar

j

This hockey arguement is so tired! So, because they're ice skating and not a lot of people ice skate, hockey is tougher than FB or BB. What about roller skates? What about figure skating? The skating aspect is immaterial, in fact it hurts the sport to a certain degree because it renders it 2-dimensional...No One Can Jump!! It's all left/right and forward/backward.

Hockey is a rugged sport that requires, like all sports, a set of specialized skills. Some of these skills are beyond the capacity of the average person. Still, I've never met anyone that couldn't be taught to ice skate, albeit poorly, or slap a puck or fistfight! Conversely, no amount of tutoring can teach a "dunk" or "crossover", nor a 70-yd bomb or 100-yd kickoff return.

Hockey is Soccer on ice with undersized goals and pointless fights. It moves faster on ice but is no more exciting or difficult to play! In fact, the pace of Soccer lends itself to more cerebral and refined method of competition. This depth explains, in part, it's considerably greater popularity.

There are more than 44 drivers Nascar races only field 42-43 drivers per race there are more that don't qualify. Not to metion spending 3-4 hours making left turns at an average speed of 160-200mph

It's hard to say it's between Football, Hockey & Nascar

Why only Nascar? Indy, Cart, Formula one, Imsa, NHRA, Motocross, etc...

The "44" driver claim doesn't hold up. All forms of racing present, more or less, the same set of challenges and risks...NASCAR is no exception. But it's not tougher than football because Bristol will only hold 44 cars at a time!

While I agree some of the sports named are very difficult as a whole, the hardest thing to do in a sport is hit a baseball. Proof - name another act in a sport that you can fail 70% of the time and still be considered great - .300 hitter in baseball is considered near the top of the game while a .280 hitter (28% success rate) will have a standard length career.

Hardest to get in? Or hardest to play?

Your poll is not matching up with the first thread post.

NFL is the hardest sport in the world, hands down.

Not only do you have to be strong, you have to be fast and smart. You have any idea how much home work goes into being a football player?

Any sport that drafts kids out of highschool is automaticly ruled out.

This includes, basketball, golf, and soccor.

Nascar is tougher than most would understand. But you develope a feel for it, and you just get in that grove.

You may even take some hits from wrecks.

But the NFL is one car wreck after another.

Hockey doesn't take the hits that the NFL does. Someone posted a link before on this.

j

I got to agree, you got to be able to take hits, and preform.

Most people can't do crap in skates. If you want to go pro in hockey, you got to be better in skates, than the best athlets are on foot, and they are, they are faster, more agile, and moer manuverable than anyone could possibly be on foot, and the way they get there is spending time on the ice. The guys who go pro spent at least 5 hours on the ice every day growing up.

And spending that much time on ice garentees you nothing. Not only do you have to put in that sort of time, you have to be a freak physically too.

While I agree some of the sports named are very difficult as a whole, the hardest thing to do in a sport is hit a baseball. Proof - name another act in a sport that you can fail 70% of the time and still be considered great - .300 hitter in baseball is considered near the top of the game while a .280 hitter (28% success rate) will have a standard length career.

I'm not even going to answer this post, you should just slap yourself.

My bad if you're a little on the Forest Gump side.

Golf is currently rated #1 on the ES board???!!!

Need I remind everyone that women play this sport.

Need I remind everyone that women try and compete with the men???

That reminds me, there was a female Hockey player!!!!!!!!!

You'll never ever ever ever ever see a female in the NFL.

This hockey arguement is so tired! So, because they're ice skating and not a lot of people ice skate, hockey is tougher than FB or BB. What about roller skates? What about figure skating? The skating aspect is immaterial, in fact it hurts the sport to a certain degree because it renders it 2-dimensional...No One Can Jump!! It's all left/right and forward/backward.

Hockey is a rugged sport that requires, like all sports, a set of specialized skills. Some of these skills are beyond the capacity of the average person. Still, I've never met anyone that couldn't be taught to ice skate, albeit poorly, or slap a puck or fistfight! Conversely, no amount of tutoring can teach a "dunk" or "crossover", nor a 70-yd bomb or 100-yd kickoff return.

Hockey is Soccer on ice with undersized goals and pointless fights. It moves faster on ice but is no more exciting or difficult to play! In fact, the pace of Soccer lends itself to more cerebral and refined method of competition. This depth explains, in part, it's considerably greater popularity.

Coming from someone who has obviously never played before, or possibly even ice-skated. The speed at which you or I skates is probably not even a tenth of how fast these guys skate. They have to be able to skate ridiculously fast, and change directions on a dime. On top of that they have to be able to handle a puck while weaving through defensemen who are out to kill them. Plus, I've played roller hockey and its extremely easy to get a stick on a puck and knock it away from someone dribbling it down the court.

Basketball shouldn't even be in the equation. Yeah, there are a limited amount of spots, but the level of physical competition is nowhere near the level of football or hockey.

Stopping a 100 mph slapshot on iceskates comes to mind....but the only reason that the percentages must be higher is because its so hard to actually get a shot on goal.

Pro Golf:

Q school to start:top 20?

Then earn a living or starve.

Golf is currently rated #1 on the ES board???!!!

Need I remind everyone that women play this sport.

Need I remind everyone that women try and compete with the men???

That reminds me, there was a female Hockey player!!!!!!!!!

You'll never ever ever ever ever see a female in the NFL.

You should think before you type.

How many women have comin in the top 20 in any regular (not major) tournament?

Womens Tennis?

The WNBA? Some of those women couldnt play Pro Football?

Womens Soccer couldnt kick 50yd field goals or kickoffs farther than Hall?

whatever..

Soccer by far IMO. You have to be in the type of condition that allows non stop play. Unlike football where you have constant rest brakes.

You also have to be able to do things with your feet that many can't manage with their hands.

Although I think that Football, Soccer, and Hockey are probably the most difficult sports on the list....Tennis (or Golf) is probably the most difficult to turn pro in.

Look at how many players are in the NFL, NHL, or MHL....heck, add in MLB and NBA players as well. Now look at how many Pro Tennis players there are. Granted, it may be a case of Tennis being more-or-less a game of the 'priviledged' (Golf as well).....thus decreasing the number of people participating in the sport.

Archived