Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grilled Cheese

Westbrook36

I forgot about grilled cheese sandwiches for a few years. Not really forgot but moreso didn't have a place or way to make them consistantly so didn't eat any for a long period of time.

Now, I can't get enough. What a perfect snack/lunch/****, even dinner if you want to go simple.

Best thing about a grilled cheese is the versatility. Back in the day, you'd throw a slice of ham on one if you wanted to spice it up. Nowadays, I'll throw anything on one. Turkey was a meat of choice for awhile but now I'm stuck on grilled salami and provi sandwiches.

I ****ed up the first couple I made. Well, you can't **** them up but they won't turn out great.

Key is you have to cook them on a really low heat with a lid. Otherwise, your bread will be browned while your meat/cheese on the inside will still be cold.

On a low heat, you can make sure the cheese melts and the ham/salami/whatever gets nice and hot.

Takes a lot longer but well worth it.

Cooking grilled cheese with a lid on the pan? TEH? WTFG!? :)

In my 25+ years of cooking i have NEVER had to put a lid on the pan when cooking it at home to get the cheese to melt. Maybe working in the family resteraunt for most of those 25 years helped :) Besides you dont want the cheese to oooz out when u cut it open on a plate, otherside you would have grilled bread and thats it hehe It should be melted but not runny/dripping out. :2cents:

The Foreman makes good grilled cheeses. I started recently getting into making paninis with the foreman. I use sourdough, turkey, provolone, and maybe some bacon. You brush the bread on the outside with olive oil and you have to press the Foreman down harder than it normally would press down. That with some soup makes a delicious lunch or dinner. :hungry:

has anyone actually grilled.... a grill cheese?

I should try it one time. Keep it away from the flames ;).

Anyways, in high school I used to do the double grilled cheese. I'd butter both sides of one piece of bread (this was tough) and brown both sides. then, proceed to make your normal grilled cheese, but put this pre-browned bread in the middle.

bread

cheese

pre-browned slice of bread

more cheese

bread

its a monster, especially if you add ham.

I prefer my grilled cheese with a chicken broth soup... Tomato is okay, but I can never finish the soup after the sandwich is done.

Try using a few jalapeno slices and some leftover chicken for a yummo sandwhich too.

:laugh: Oddly enough I'm working on my second grilled cheese that I made myself for lunch RIGHT NOW. I eat them all the time but I don't seem to have your difficulties with the cheese or lid. I put my in a pan on medium heat and GO! Perfect everytime unless I sit and watch TV too long and they burn. You gotta watch those things.

A grilled cheese just isn't a grilled cheese without tomatoe.

Then what do you call a grilled cheese with tomato?

Try Irish Cheddar, it makes a heck of a good Grilled cheese. Goes great with any kind of meat and adds a nice smoky flavor.

Another version of the grilled cheese that I like to make at home...

Smoked gouda cheese with shredded grilled chicken (tomato/onion if desired)

yea, but if you take it too far (adding tomato and onion), then you just have a hot sandwich. Its no longer an authentic grilled cheese. I say there should be a Man Law about this... only a max of 2 ingredients to a grilled cheese (cheese + 2 extras).

Archived