Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is a better boxer Hopkins or Jones?

The King

Jones is the finest fighter to ever grace the ring. He had power, defense, speed, quickness, combinations, stamina. Obviously he's in SEVERE decline to the point of being no good at all at this point, but, there's never been anyone like Jones when Jones was right.

Hopkins is by far the better pure boxer. There truly are no flaws to his game. Roy Jones was a freakish talent that comes along once in a lifetime who relied on his off the charts athleticism and reflexes. It's obvious why Bernard has been able to fight at a high level into his forties while Roy has gone to crap over the past 2 years. Now in their primes Roy was the better FIGHTER and he proved it in RFK 13 years ago when the two met, but Ex is the superior boxer with a great all around game.

Roy hasnt fought a quality boxer in over 10 years. He has been fighting bums for a very long time. Name five quality boxer Jones fought the last 10 years except for Tarver and Glen Johnson. You cant do it. Any pro boxer would look good fighting a trashman. Jones has ran and ducked Hopkins the last few years. Roy "Bum stickitty bum" Jones is Garbage.

Guest sith lord
Jones is the finest fighter to ever grace the ring. He had power, defense, speed, quickness, combinations, stamina. Obviously he's in SEVERE decline to the point of being no good at all at this point, but, there's never been anyone like Jones when Jones was right.

I have to disagree. Sure he had everything you mentioned, but so didn't Tyson in his prime. And he and Tyson has something else in common, they never beat a top notch fighter while they were in their primes. Maybe that wasn't their faults, but from what I've heard, Jones avoided the best.

Sorry, but Jones Jr is far from the best of all time. Oh, I forgot the original question. Hopkins will go down in history as being better than Roy Jones Jr. Honestly, Hopkins might even go down as a top 10 all-time boxer and I'm not his biggest fan.

Jones was literally untouchable at his peak. Like Sweet Pea, his defensive ability and reflexes made him almost impossible to get off on. No one had his counter ability. Jones' skills were unmatched in boxing at any weight. Tyson was the most dominating fighter anyone has ever seen, but, even at his best he was never perfect. Jones was. Jones had everything.

Jones was literally untouchable at his peak. Like Sweet Pea, his defensive ability and reflexes made him almost impossible to get off on. No one had his counter ability. Jones' skills were unmatched in boxing at any weight. Tyson was the most dominating fighter anyone has ever seen, but, even at his best he was never perfect. Jones was. Jones had everything.

But in RJJ's prime, when he had these skills you speak of...who did he fight? Who has Roy fought, really? He did beat B-hop years ago early in both their careers. He fought Tarver 3 times, maybe winning one of them. He fought Johnson and lost.

Those skills do look a lot more impressive when you're blowing nobody's out of the ring...

But in RJJ's prime, when he had these skills you speak of...who did he fight? Who has Roy fought, really? He did beat B-hop years ago early in both their careers. He fought Tarver 3 times, maybe winning one of them. He fought Johnson and lost.

Those skills do look a lot more impressive when you're blowing nobody's out of the ring...

Roy did not always fight the best opposition. That's a given, but he didn't beat the likes of Hopkins, James Toney, Virgil Hill (3 likely hall of famers), Clinton Woods, Vinny Paz, Montell Griffin, John Ruiz and Eric Harding by fighting all tomato cans. I just wish Roy would have fought Michalczewski when they were both in their primes, but it was obvious Roy wasn't going to Germany and Michalczewski wasn't coming to America to fight.

Guest sith lord
Roy did not always fight the best opposition. That's a given, but he didn't beat the likes of Hopkins, James Toney, Virgil Hill (3 likely hall of famers), Clinton Woods, Vinny Paz, Montell Griffin, John Ruiz and Eric Harding by fighting all tomato cans. I just wish Roy would have fought Michalczewski when they were both in their primes, but it was obvious Roy wasn't going to Germany and Michalczewski wasn't coming to America to fight.

Of that list, the only one that impressed me is James Toney because both of them were in their primes at the time. When he beat Hopkins, Hopkins was not the fighter he is today. And when he beat Virgil Hill, Hill was on the downside of his career. Those other guys you named never impressed me. I can not believe you even put John Ruiz on this list.

People made a big deal when he went up to heavyweight and beat that tomato can, but if Jones really wanted to be heavyweight champ, he should have fought Lennix Lewis.

Of that list, the only one that impressed me is James Toney because both of them were in their primes at the time. When he beat Hopkins, Hopkins was not the fighter he is today. And when he beat Virgil Hill, Hill was on the downside of his career. Those other guys you named never impressed me. I can not believe you even put John Ruiz on this list.

People made a big deal when he went up to heavyweight and beat that tomato can, but if Jones really wanted to be heavyweight champ, he should have fought Lennix Lewis.

Lennix Lewis? What sense does that make? Huge size and weight advantages are the reason that they have weight classes -- if you are going to move up, at least make it manageable. I should disclose here that I'm biased because I used to have an unhealthy obsession with Roy Jones, Jr. (I am a woman) :) He is also a Floridian and once gave a shout out to West Palm Beach (I'm a native) after a fight. But back to business...

I must quote Roy when he responded to criticism about him fighting nobody -- "I just make them look like nobody". Toney was a monster when they fought and he did beat Hopkins one-handed. I would've liked to see him fight Hopkins again, though. I'm not sure who else was out there for him to fight at the time but I'm not an aficionado -- who was out there at the time?

You have incredibly high standards if Toney is the only name on the list that impressed you. Virgil Hill was not on the downside of his career when he fought Roy. He went on to fight competitively for 6 years afterwards while he beat Tiozzo and gave Jean-Marc Mormeck two very tough fights.

I mentioned John Ruiz because of the huge discretion in size for that fight. Roy effectively fought as a Cruiserweight and beat a respected Heavyweight title holder with ease. It's not every day you see a guy that began his career at 154 win a Heavyweight belt. What exactly does impress you? Regardless of your feelings on Ruiz and his style he is a ridiculously tough man who has dispatched many top Heavyweights in his career.

How does beating a prime Montell Griffin not impress you? Especially in the fashion which he did so with a devastating first round knockout. Griffin beat Toney twice.

Archived