Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: ESPN Will Keep Hank Williams

jimster

Hank Williams Jr. still ready for some football

June 9, 2006

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9489682/rss

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Hank Williams Jr., who has sung the theme for ABC's Monday Night Football since 1989, will continue the tradition next season on ESPN when the football institution moves to the cable network, show officials said Friday.

Advertisement

ESPN -- which has an eight-year deal for the Monday-night rights -- said in a statement that Williams will continue with a theme based on his hit All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight.

Williams will perform with a band that includes guitarists Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick and Steven Van Zandt from the E Street Band; keyboardists Little Richard and Bernie Worrell from Parliament Funkadelic; fiddler Charlie Daniels; and saxophonist Clarence Clemons of the E Street Band.

The Monday Night Football opening video will feature team-specific lyrics and visuals each week.

Williams has had a string of No. 1 hits including Family Tradition and All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight.

His father, a star in the late 1940s and early 1950s, had hits like Your Cheatin' Heart and I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. He died in 1953.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

I'm not gonna lie, I actually enjoyed the Tim McGraw half time song last year as well, as cheesy as it may have been. Don't really know why, especially since I'm mostly not a country fan, but it was just catchy too me. Although Hank always pumped me up at the start of the game, so I'm glad he's coming back.

Anything is better than that Tim McGraw crap they threw out there last year. Seriously, how good can a song be if you write it the night before?

That is what made it good. He personalized the song week after week. And with the best highlights. And twins.. :laugh:

Archived