Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running the 40 yard dash / Running in pads.

XxSpearheadxX

Just an interesting thing I read in an ESPN magazine a few months ago. They were talking about running the 40 yard dash in pads as opposed to guys who are trained in sprinting and style.

It is pretty much known that a slow forty doesn't mean the guy isn't fast, but it is very very rare for a guy to run a fast forty and then be real slow on the field. They can still be stupid though (see: Raiders Secondary)

How much does pads affect 40 yard time? Might a slight frame be unable to bear the weight? Many skill players wear thin gel kneepads or no pads at all to shave precious time off their movement speed.

Anyway I remember the guys wouldn't run a 40 (for obvious reasons) but they ran 25 yard dash I think. Most of them didn't slow down much in pads.

However then they talked about how running with the ball should slow you down, because of aero-dynamics and the recycling of energy through arm pumping. To a man, however, they all increased edit: their speed by 10%. Even the Offensive lineman and other players who don't normally play with the ball.

Either these physicists are way off on their math, or more likely the physcological effect of having the ball makes them run harder. :)

I just thought that was neat. Oh well.

The thing is when you have the ball in your hand, theres about 11 people trying to kill you, so yes your going to run like a mad man.

LOL :laugh:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this was in a controlled environment. I wonder if they ever could study the effect of a linebacker chasing you.

I just can't find an online version of the story, it was one of those side bar pieces - I really thought it was interesting.

running in a staright line without pads and with no fear of getting laid out is different from acutally being able to get open on a football field. I think quickness is more important than straight line speed. Every year some team falls in love with the 40 yard times and makes horrible choices like the raiders.

i read the article as well, and its true.... its not some mathematical blunder, they tried it out with a bunch of nfl players, whose names i cant recall. assuming those stats are correct, lol, i cant believe this, but reggie bush runs a 3.897 with a ball in his hands.

the math: 4.33 (his 40 time) * .10 (ten percent increase of time, according to espn) = 0.433 (10% of his 40 time). then 4.33 (40 time w/o ball) - .433= 3.897. that is absolutely rediculous.

LOL :laugh:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this was in a controlled environment. I wonder if they ever could study the effect of a linebacker chasing you.

I just can't find an online version of the story, it was one of those side bar pieces - I really thought it was interesting.

Back when I played football, long ago in olden-times, we ran some 40s in no pads to get a base time. My 40 when I just imagined 11 guys trying to kill me was around 4.8 and when I didn't, about 5.2.

running in a staright line without pads and with no fear of getting laid out is different from acutally being able to get open on a football field. I think quickness is more important than straight line speed. Every year some team falls in love with the 40 yard times and makes horrible choices like the raiders.

TRUE

Um, yes and no, Drills like the shuttle and cone are considered important too. The measure those attributes you say. These guys get paid to do this stuff, they know what they are doing.

They do, as you say, make mistakes though. As you say, just look at the raiders. I think much of that comes from character issues and stupidness - not stiff hips.

i read the article as well, and its true.... its not some mathematical blunder, they tried it out with a bunch of nfl players, whose names i cant recall. assuming those stats are correct, lol, i cant believe this, but reggie bush runs a 3.897 with a ball in his hands.

the math: 4.33 (his 40 time) * .10 (ten percent increase of time, according to espn) = 0.433 (10% of his 40 time). then 4.33 (40 time w/o ball) - .433= 3.897. that is absolutely rediculous.

Yeah exactly, but no NFL player would ever run a 40 yard dash unless they had too. It could mean too much to them losing $.

Reggie was most likely running a 30 yard dash.

For those that say it is BS I swear on my mother's life it is 100% true.

I'm not doubting that you guys read the article. I just find it extremely hard to believe their findings. It just doesn't make sense. I've seen statistical studies showing relay runners run significantly slower times with the baton in their hands so I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that running with a football, which inhibits your ability to swing your arms in a normal running motion, actually makes you faster. It just defies logic.

I'm not doubting that you guys read the article. I just find it extremely hard to believe their findings. It just doesn't make sense. I've seen statistical studies showing relay runners run significantly slower times with the baton in their hands so I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that running with a football, which inhibits your ability to swing your arms in a normal running motion, actually makes you faster. It just defies logic.

I'm kinda with you on this. Of course being a side bar.. I'm betting they didn't include much along the line of numbers. How many players tested and their times in no-pads, pads, and ball in hand.

The thing is when you have the ball in your hand, theres about 11 people trying to kill you, so yes your going to run like a mad man.

I cant disagree with that, many recievers have slow 40 runs but can out run a defense when there being chased. Darrell Green ran the 40 in 4.24 for 5 years in a row but when intercepting a pass he would jog and still out run recievers chasing him running at full speed. I will never forget the Monday Night game against Dallas when Darrell Green ran down Tony Dorsett in Greens rookie year, the whole NFL knew he was the fastest man before he even got to race the following year.

Archived