Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Portis/Arenas Debate 'Sorianified'

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Everyone remembers my Portis vs Arenas popularity contest that I started about a month back. Well, seeing that Washington Nationals left fielder is now second in the NL in the MLB with 22 (only 3 back from Albert Pujols), allow be to reawaken this debate with a little bit of a twist. The question, with no deviation or misinterpration allowed is this:

Which DC sports star provides the biggest OFFENSIVE threat to an opposing team?

Still Arenas. You cant intentionally walk Arenas. Soriano is great but he only gets to make a difference 3-6 times a game. Arenas always has the ball and is always a threat.

Portis is also a huge threat but too many factors hinge on his success. 8 men in the box can stop Portis. Arenas is in the sport where individual stars dominate the games.

I know its the offseason, but this is like comparing apples to oranges. This can't be compared because roles are completely different.

NFL - Team game

MLB - 4 plate appearances a game don't allow you to make a HUGE impact on a game every game

NBA - Its about individual players

So this question really does not bare any discussion.

Arenas no question about it really

Arenas was 4th in the NBA in scoring

I would have to say you are correct on this one. Arenas has the ability to control the tempo of the game and is able to consistantly be given the opportunity to win the game at the buzzer. Soriano can only do so much because he only bats on an average once every two innings. Finally, Portis doesn't have that ability because he is not the QB, now he make the decision on where to go if the hole isn't there, but the coach and the QB control the tempo.

There really isn't a comparisson between the three of the 3 differnet sports.

Arenas is a great scorer, but Ovechkin is at another level. He was doing it all on his own last year and still lighting it up. If you are not into hockey, I recommend getting into it, it is great and DC has a bonafide superstar in Ovechkin.

y do everyone love ovechkin so much rite now?

ya he had an AMAZING season and i kno he will be good but the Caps were still one of the worst teams in the league last year and i dont believe he deserves to be the guy in DC till the Caps start winning

Ovechkin is showing that he will end up being a guy that is always marked when you play the Caps. I'm not making any argument for the Caps, but the kind of season Ovechkin just had makes me think he is the most likely D.C. league MVP out there.

He compares much more favorably to the top of his league then the others. And before I get nailed for this I am a HUGE Portis and Arenas fan. I can just see Ovechkin being the best player in the NHL before any of the others in their respective leagues.

Ovechkin. Hands down.

Portis. If this was two years ago? It'd be a toss up between him and Ovechkin but since Moss showed up? I think it's pretty close between those two. Now with the offseason additions of Lloyd, Randle El, and Saunders? I think the collective offense scares opposing teams now, not just one or two players.

Arenas. He was a part of the big three. Yes, he was 4th in the league of scoring in the league but there were also 2 other players averaging 20 points each. On any given night if Arenas is taken out of his game other players could pick up the slack.

Soriano. Where he goes the Nats go, mostly. There have been a few games where Soriano has driven in all the runs in the game. But he can't do it by himself in baseball.

Adu. He doesn't even start. Enough said.

Ovechkin. At the end of the season he had a point 1 out of every 3 goals the Caps scored. His 106 points was almost triple the points Zubrus had. His 52 goals were over two times the goals Zubrus had. His 54 assists were almost two times Zubrus had. Ovechkin took 240 more shots than the 2nd guy. He was pretty much it for the Caps. If the opposing team shut him down there was little chance for the Caps in the game. There was no one on the Capitals like Jamison or Butler who could explode on any given night and carry the team to victory.

It's gotta be Ovechkin.

I know its the offseason, but this is like comparing apples to oranges. This can't be compared because roles are completely different.

NFL - Team game

MLB - 4 plate appearances a game don't allow you to make a HUGE impact on a game every game

NBA - Its about individual players

So this question really does not bare any discussion.

agreed...but i disagree on the 4 plate appearances. you can have a huge impact on a game every game. hit one out with runners on, get RBIs, hustle. its very much a trickle down affect

y do everyone love ovechkin so much rite now?

ya he had an AMAZING season and i kno he will be good but the Caps were still one of the worst teams in the league last year and i dont believe he deserves to be the guy in DC till the Caps start winning

The question was not about the biggest star in DC or the best player, but which guy presents the biggest threat on offense to an opposing team. Obviously Arenas is a great scorer and one of the top scorers in the NBA; I can't argue with anyone who picks him on this question. For me, the difference was that I have been following the Caps pretty much my whole life, through the careers of guys like Mike Gartner, Dino Ciccarelli, and Peter Bondra (all of whom were great scorers), and I have never seen the Caps have anyone with the skills of Ovechkin. I was always envious of the teams that had dominant scorers like Mario Lemeiux or Brett Hull, and now the Caps suddenly have one of those guys! For me it's less about the stats or the great rookie season and more about the skill he displays on the ice. It was obvious that a lot of the Caps' offensive strategy was "pass to Ovechkin and see what happens." Obviously the team was not very good, so it's not they had anything else they could do, but still it was amazing what Ovechkin managed to do once he got the puck. He had no business putting up such a huge year when every opponent knew that he was the Caps' only real threat. There were times he just went from one end of the ice to the other, through the entire opposing team, to score. Like I said, Arenas is a great scorer in the NBA, but Ovechkin in his rookie year has already shown that he is one of the top scorers in the NHL, even though defenses all key on him the whole game. Imagine if the Caps had some other threats (a la Jamison and Hughes/Butler) - Ovechkin could easily lead the NHL in scoring for multiple years.

Who is Eskandarian?

He is a striker for DC United. He was a good player in college and has had a decent career in MLS. He's kind of streaky but he's a good scorer when he gets hot. Earlier this season he scored a goal against the NY/NJ Red Bulls (sponsored by the company that makes Red Bull) and he ran over to the bench, got a can of Red Bull, took a swig, and spit it onto the field. Pretty funny. Hopefully he keeps it up because I think MLS could use a little more flair.

Arenas is quite simply the most prolific scorer in Washington sports. 46 point in less than 30 minutes against the Knicks? Career 3-Point leader after only 3 seasons with the Bullets? 2 time all star and 4th overall in scoring this year at only 24 years old?

Arenas is scary good and will only get better.

I love the Wiz, Skins and Nats but this goes to Arenas cuz he is on the floor/field the MOST and doesnt have to deal with IBB's and 3rd and Longs....if the Wiz are down by 20 or up by 20 the goal is the same...score at will...and he only has 4 other teammates to accomadate him with.

I like this thread though....it is interesting....and Soriano is a BEAST. I just hope we can keep him longterm...it would be interesting to see him over the next couple of years.

Archived