Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Road rage, spousal abuse more than bad behaviors

AlexRS

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-06/07/content_4657261.htm

BEIJING, June 7 (Xinhuanet) -- A new study suggested that the symptoms marked by episodes of angry, potentially violent outbursts like those seen in road rage or spousal abuse are mental illness called intermittent explosive disorder (IED).

The findings of the study, based on an analysis of 9,282 adults who participated in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication in America from 2001 to 2003, were released in the June issue of the Archives of General Psychiatry Monday.

"If people think these explosive outbursts are just bad behavior, they are not thinking of it as a serious problem that can be treated," said Dr. Emil Coccaro, co-author of the study.

People with IED overreact to certain situations with uncontrollable rage, experience a sense of relief during the angry outburst, and then feel remorse about their actions.

"IED is characterized by explosive anger attacks that they can't control and are out of proportion to what is going on in their lives and that lead to physical assault or breaking things," the study said, "is strongly related to depression, anxiety and other mental-health problems."

Not many people with IED are treated, it said. "They usually don't think they have a problem.”

But there are effective treatments for IED: cognitive-behavioral therapy, as well as the antidepressants known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and mood stabilizers.

Doctors in the United States believe 16 million Americans are affected by the disorder. Enditem

People with IED overreact to certain situations with uncontrollable rage, experience a sense of relief during the angry outburst, and then feel remorse about their actions.

"If people think these explosive outbursts are just bad behavior, they are not thinking of it as a serious problem that can be treated," said Dr. Emil Coccaro, co-author of the study.

crazy is no more. everything is a disorder. built in excuses i say. but what do i know.

Which part of "it's a disorder that needs to be treated" do you disagree with?

In fact, I'd say that the result of this study is that a behavior that used to be considered simply a personality problem, now is considered "crazy".

I'd say the definition just expanded.

(Waiting breathlessly for the first "not guilty of road rage by reason of insanity".)

Which part of "it's a disorder that needs to be treated" do you disagree with?

In fact, I'd say that the result of this study is that a behavior that used to be considered simply a personality problem, now is considered "crazy".

I'd say the definition just expanded.

(Waiting breathlessly for the first "not guilty of road rage by reason of insanity".)

well, if being a prick and/ or an ******* is a disorder, i guess i don't disagree with it.

there's a pill for everything.

The problem is it's too legally problematic to beat down an idiot when he spouts off in an anger rage. Thus he learns he can get away with the behavior whenever he wants. I imagine if you act out in a rage, and then get your ass handed to you, you'll think twice before acting out the next time. A good ass whooping might be the best pill available.

The problem is it's too legally problematic to beat down an idiot when he spouts off in an anger rage. Thus he learns he can get away with the behavior whenever he wants. I imagine if you act out in a rage, and then get your ass handed to you, you'll think twice before acting out the next time. A good ass whooping might be the best pill available.

You're absolutely right!!! :cheers:

Good luck giving me an ass whooping! :D

Pez's road rage is due to a lack of patience! No other reason! He hates to wait on or for anyone!

I on the other hand drive like a southerner. It is very rare that I get annoyed with other drivers.

80% of road rage can be cured by a 50% cutback on your sugar intake...

The same road rage people have no problem driving down the shoulder of the road and then freaking out when you don't let them back in front of you... If you blow them a kiss they start punching the inside roof :).

WOW. So THAT'S what's wrong with me?!?!?!?!

I always thought it was just a total lack of patience, a sever temper, and very little impulse control that was the cause of my road rage, sports rage, and other violent issues. I always used to think it was a personal shortcoming. Obviously I'm wrong.

Now the next time the Red Sox screw something up and I blow a gasket and my roommates threaten to throw me out of the apartment for the evening, I can sue them for being discriminatory against me, since I obviously have a phychological issue and am not responsible for my words and actions.

Archived