Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Art vs Irvin on SI.com (Art is winning by 30%)

Chris Luva Luva

On the front page now...

:rubeyes:

ART MONK TIME. From Steve Woods of Houston: "In response to your list of 10 players left out of the Hall of Fame, I have my own list (which I know you won't agree with):

1) Art Monk.

2) Art Monk.

3) Art Monk.

4) Art Monk.

You get my drift, and yes, I am a biased die-hard 'Skins fan. Monk had 940 career receptions, 12,000 career yards, with three Super Bowls rings. I think the presence of John Riggins on the goal line is a big reason why he didn't have quite as many touchdowns as you would have thought, given his other stats, although he does have more than several receivers already in, such as Stallworth and Swann. The guy was a tremendous player, who, in my opinion, was the heart and soul of the offense for much of the '80s. You can't do any more than that. It sure does seem like you have some sort of bias against the 'Skins, and Monk in particular, in recent years. I don't understand that. Are you a Cowboys fan?!? Please say it isn't so.''

Ain't so. I'm a fan of no football team. You may be interested to know that I am going to rethink my position on Monk this year. I don't want to be so stuck in the mud on this issue that I close my mind to the possibility that I'm wrong and that Monk really does belong. So I'm going to sit down with Joe Gibbs when I see the Redskins this summer and try to soak in what the Monk side believes I am missing. A lot of people I respect tell me I'm dead wrong on Monk -- Len Shapiro, Mike Wilbon among them, plus quieter ones with close ties to the Hall. So I'll rethink my position and let you know what I come up with.

Ain't so. I'm a fan of no football team. You may be interested to know that I am going to rethink my position on Monk this year. I don't want to be so stuck in the mud on this issue that I close my mind to the possibility that I'm wrong and that Monk really does belong. So I'm going to sit down with Joe Gibbs when I see the Redskins this summer and try to soak in what the Monk side believes I am missing. A lot of people I respect tell me I'm dead wrong on Monk -- Len Shapiro, Mike Wilbon among them, plus quieter ones with close ties to the Hall. So I'll rethink my position and let you know what I come up with.

:rubeyes: :thud:

Once Gibbs gets in his ear, I think he will change his tune. He must be sick of being yelled at year after year.

King rethinking his position on Monk...one of 4 things must be going on here:

1) The Pressure is getting him and he is getting tierd of being the poster-child of the anti-Monk movement.

2) He is dying and doesn't want anyone to be angry with him about this issue anymore.

3) He is making a sincere effort to be open and objective to listening to other side of the issue.

4) Hell is starting to freeze over

Well, you have to give Peter some credit for saying that he'll at least "rethink" his position. If he does indeed sit down with Gibbs and get some feedback, maybe he'll come around.

There are a few (key word) Superbowl winning quarterbacks he could lend his ear to as well. (Sidenote: Anyone know Aikman's view of Art?)

And did anyone notice that Art's got his picture on SI's main page and on the second page of the "top 10" follow-up article? At least someone at SI is giving some due recognition.

71/29 Monk

Btw, the poll is on the most popular Cowboys forum too.

So I'm going to sit down with Joe Gibbs when I see the Redskins this summer and try to soak in what the Monk side believes I am missing. A lot of people I respect tell me I'm dead wrong on Monk -- Len Shapiro, Mike Wilbon among them, plus quieter ones with close ties to the Hall. So I'll rethink my position and let you know what I come up with.

Henry,

I think you need to represent for ES, and somehow get in Kings ear this summer and point out what he's missing!!!!! you have posted the best reasons I've seen on why Art Monk should be in the Hall. :applause:

Maybe ES and Redskins.com can set this up. Maybe on Larry's show ?? :thumbsup:

So I'm going to sit down with Joe Gibbs when I see the Redskins this summer and try to soak in what the Monk side believes I am missing. A lot of people I respect tell me I'm dead wrong on Monk -- Len Shapiro, Mike Wilbon among them, plus quieter ones with close ties to the Hall. So I'll rethink my position and let you know what I come up with.

Henry,

I think you need to represent for ES, and somehow get in Kings ear this summer and point out what he's missing!!!!! you have posted the best reasons I've seen on why Art Monk should be in the Hall. :applause:

Maybe ES and Redskins.com can set this up. :thumbsup:

Damn!! Sorry about the double post. I guess my subconscious thought it deserved repeating :D

Archived