Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone have Verizon FIOS??

jbooma

Well my sweet deal with Comcast is over and now looking to drop them like a hot potatoe. The problem here in Reston is if you want highspeed interent it would be with either Comcast or this new Verizon FIOS (fiber optic) DSL is not available and now FIOS has Cable and Internet, the prices are better then Comcast and they offer MASN!!!!!

If anyone has FIOS let me know what you think and what is the real cost like.

My sister in law works for Verizon and is not very tech savvy, (she's customer service) but says that enrollment for that has been great.

Not sure how it works, as I doubt they run fiber optics to my house, just to the curb. It still has to go through a regular phone line from there, right?

I'm on Comcast Cable internet, but wouldn't mind a cheaper option, if the speed hit is not too large. I think FIOS is half the speed of Cable, but more than half the cost.

I've seriously though about switching from Comcast cable and internet to Directv and FIOS, just for the $avings.

Great product but you have to sign a contract. Verizon doens't really know what they are doing yet with Cable but they are a wealthy company and will most likley figure it out. The money they spent on the fiber to the home they better figure it out.

Not sure how it works, as I doubt they run fiber optics to my house, just to the curb. It still has to go through a regular phone line from there, right?

They do run fiber straight to the house it takes half a day for them to install it but they do actually run fiber to every house. And Fios is faster than Cable but unless you are a gamer you won't know the difference. Verizon will be cheap because its new but when you sign the contract they will get you in a year or two.

Great product but you have to sign a contract. Verizon doens't really know what they are doing yet with Cable but they are a wealthy company and will most likley figure it out. The money they spent on the fiber to the home they better figure it out.

They do run fiber straight to the house it takes half a day for them to install it but they do actually run fiber to every house. And Fios is faster than Cable but unless you are a gamer you won't know the difference. Verizon will be cheap because its new but when you sign the contract they will get you in a year or two.

Ok so that is how they get you, however paying $35 for interent for 2 years is still good if that is the case. The TV prices are similar to Direct TV and you do not need a dish :)

Ok so that is how they get you, however paying $35 for interent for 2 years is still good if that is the case. The TV prices are similar to Direct TV and you do not need a dish :)

I have Verizon FIOS internet and TV. (switched over from cox last year) and I couldnt be happier. The internet never goes out, never slows down, and is blazingly fast. And the TV aint bad either, you dont need a dish, they get the signal directly from DirectTV and run it right to your house so you dont need a Dish, and the weather doesent effect the TV or the internet. As the above posts said, they run a Fiber cable right to your house and install an ONT (Optical Network Termial) outside, its just a White box which they install the Fiber Optic cable into and run the Cat5 cables and Coax cables to your Computer and TV's. They also give you a router, either the Dlink D-604 or the Dlink D-624.

All in all, im pretty impressed with the service and wouldnt give it up for anything.

Here are some reviews of FIOS for you to look at.

P.S if you want pictures of the ONT and stuff, lemme know, ill just pop outside and take a pic of everything.

Archived