Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who do YOU consider to be our biggest rival and why?

Redskins4Life

Obviously the cowboys are the biggest rival. It's too bad that the cowboys are such a pathetic opponent, though, because it would be nice to have a rival that we could respect. Oh well.

:doh: :doh: (That's the number of Super Bowls you've had on strike seasons)

Wow, homer alert. Hopefully you're just trying to be funny, and not a smart***.

Do you really think Dallas doesn't have a chance against Washington? Funny how two wins can change an entire fan base's opinion about a team, such as "Dallas is on steroids, that's why they're winning" to "Dallas sucks, that's why they're losing".

This is the kind of homerism I don't understand on this board. Do you really think that you'll dominate us? Think again.

Do you really think Dallas doesn't have a chance against Washington? Funny how two wins can change an entire fan base's opinion about a team, such as "Dallas is on steroids, that's why they're winning" to "Dallas sucks, that's why they're losing".

This is the kind of homerism I don't understand on this board. Do you really think that you'll dominate us? Think again.

we did think again. last off season. then we kicked our ***.

dont get me wrong, im not one who thinks that ANY of our games this season will be a cakewalk. but with a post like that, i naturally had to say something.

I guess we add being illerate to the many faults of Brokeback fans!!! Have you taken the time to read the title of this forum!!!! Let us review " Extremeskins" for Washigton Redskins fans. I would expect nothing different on a pukes forum.:dallasuck

Redskins4Life, it would be interesting to hear about who the guy you were having the debate with said was our biggest rival and why.

Even though the vast majority of folks agree that Dallas is the rival, its interesting to examine the different points of view on exactly when Dallas became a big rival. Yes, there is the story about the fight song. And the thing some people bring up about JFK getting shot in Dallas. It seems to me that Dallas becoming a powerhouse in the mid-to-late sixties was the thing that spurred the Cowboys being the main rivals of not just the Skins but also of the Eagles and Giants (seemed like they were the teams that mostly played the Cowboys twice in those days). And weren't the Skins the first of those teams to actually challenge the Cowboys prominence under Allen? What if Allen had gone to NY or Philly instead of here and made those teams the top dog? Would the NY-Dallas or Philly-Dallas rivalry have been ahead of our rivalry with Dallas?

It is also interesting that our biggest rivalry is Dallas but that our rivalries with NY and Philly are older. I personally enjoy the regional rivalries a lot, although invariably I'll encounter the loudmouth Cowboy fan at a bar that will remind me who the big enemy is. However, could many people see us developing the same sort of rivalry with, say, the Ravens if they replaced Dallas as a twice-a-year opponent?

Obviously the cowboys are the biggest rival. It's too bad that the cowboys are such a pathetic opponent, though, because it would be nice to have a rival that we could respect. Oh well.

Ah homerism. I'm a Redskins fan till the death, my friend, but to call the Cowboys a pathetic opponent is simply a dull statement. This is the team that we've only beaten 3 times in our last 17 meetings. (I believe those are the right numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Granted, we're all hoping for last year to be the sign of a new era for this rivalry, but regardless of team makeup, when the Cowboys and Redskins get together, there's always that playoff intensity.

you know, im a huge redskins fan and all, but you can say that. They beat us 13 out of the last 14 times, so we should definitely respect them. Hate them with all your guts, but still respect them.

Ah homerism. I'm a Redskins fan till the death, my friend, but to call the Cowboys a pathetic opponent is simply a dull statement. This is the team that we've only beaten 3 times in our last 17 meetings. (I believe those are the right numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Granted, we're all hoping for last year to be the sign of a new era for this rivalry, but regardless of team makeup, when the Cowboys and Redskins get together, there's always that playoff intensity.

Very true...although to be accurate, the Cowboys record against the Skins over the last four seasons is only 5-3. Recent history seems to show that the Cowboys are far from dominating the Skins like they did from 1995-2001...and as you pointed out the tide may have very well been turned this past season (I think it has). Add to it that over the past seven seasons the Skins have had more playoff births (2-1), more playoff games (4-1), more playoff wins (2-0), and more NFC East championships (1-0), and I think it's about time Skins fans stop feeling like they can't talk some legitimate smack when it comes to the Cowboys.

Redskins4Life, it would be interesting to hear about who the guy you were having the debate with said was our biggest rival and why.

>> He actually DOES think that its the Ravens, simply because of the reason you stated: Because its a local in-state rivalry. :shot: I disagreed with him wholeheartedly because of our longer, bloodied history with Dallas.

Even though the vast majority of folks agree that Dallas is the rival, its interesting to examine the different points of view on exactly when Dallas became a big rival. Yes, there is the story about the fight song. And the thing some people bring up about JFK getting shot in Dallas. It seems to me that Dallas becoming a powerhouse in the mid-to-late sixties was the thing that spurred the Cowboys being the main rivals of not just the Skins but also of the Eagles and Giants (seemed like they were the teams that mostly played the Cowboys twice in those days). And weren't the Skins the first of those teams to actually challenge the Cowboys prominence under Allen? What if Allen had gone to NY or Philly instead of here and made those teams the top dog? Would the NY-Dallas or Philly-Dallas rivalry have been ahead of our rivalry with Dallas?

It is also interesting that our biggest rivalry is Dallas but that our rivalries with NY and Philly are older. I personally enjoy the regional rivalries a lot, although invariably I'll encounter the loudmouth Cowboy fan at a bar that will remind me who the big enemy is. However, could many people see us developing the same sort of rivalry with, say, the Ravens if they replaced Dallas as a twice-a-year opponent?

I concur. And for me, I've pretty much got a list of our rivals that I respect the most to the least (Giants, Cowboys, Philly .. in that order actually).

Of course with this friend of mine tho, he lives in Baltimore, and I'm sure he has to put up with a lot of crap from the Raven fans their.

One thing that you mentioned that I had never heard about was the deal about the fight song. I don't ever recall ever reading anything about that story. What's up with that? And what the heck does JFK getting shot in Dallas have to do with our rivalry too?

Meh.

(I'm looking at the bright side here ... at least I'm getting a bit of an education here. :) )

Oh, and for the record ... the reason I didn't list Tampa, was because I don't really sense that they're as big a rivalry as Carolina IS, and could be. Ask any Panther fan, and they'll tell you they probably hate the Redskins more than they do the Saints or Falcons. :)

Califan, actually both the Cowboys and Skins have 2 playoff appearances since '99. We of course made it last year, but the Cowboys also made it in '03.

We have bragging rights from last year, due to our improbable win in Game 2 and then the butt-whooping back here. But truthfully, neither team has done anything of consequence in the playoffs since the early-to-mid 90s.

Redskins4Life, I think the deal with the fight song was that someone in the Cowboy ownership group bought the rights to "HTTR" and threatened not to let George Preston Marshall (Skins owner) to play it unless he supported the existence of a new NFL franchise in Dallas. Something along those lines.

Your friend probably does have those feelings living in Baltimore. I can tell you that the media up there was quite gleeful when they beat us in a mid-season game in '97. But given that we don't play the Ravens but once every 4 years in the regular season, I don't think you have much of a rivalry there. Once could develop if another realignment occurred and the Skins and Ravens got placed in the same division.....but that's unlikely, as the league would likely always keep teams that close geographically in separate conferences.

Califan, actually both the Cowboys and Skins have 2 playoff appearances since '99. We of course made it last year, but the Cowboys also made it in '03.

We have bragging rights from last year, due to our improbable win in Game 2 and then the butt-whooping back here. But truthfully, neither team has done anything of consequence in the playoffs since the early-to-mid 90s.

What other year did the Cowboys make the playoffs in the last seven season?

DUH! This is a REDSKINS board dumbass! I suppose there isn't any 'homerism' on cowpunk boards. Why you numbnuts come on here and whine about it is unbelievable.

I know someone's already said it, but screw Tampa. I mosied around their forums the day after the first bucs game last year, and they were all celebrating the ref's idiocy. I distinctly remember one topic titled "There's alot of tears in DC today!". I hate them, right below the cowboys, if not on the same level.

Archived