Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the over/under for ST/Rosenhaus revisiting contract renegotiation?

Byner21

Great news that the Sean Taylor case looks to be settled. Seems like a fair settlement based on the evidence. (BUT FOR THE GUYS THAT COMPLETELY GOT AWAY WITH SHOOTING UP HIS CAR!!!)

I'm feeling a little pessimistic though. :) The question I thought of almost immediately...

How long before he starts making noise about wanting a new contract again?

If we win the Super Bowl and he realizes his supreme potential, I'd set the over/under at March 2007. If we merely have a solid season and win a game or two in the playoffs, I'd say May '07.

Here's to him seeing the light and recognizing that the 'skins organization is the gold standard with respect to rewarding individuals for their good work. Hopefully he chooses to keep his mouth shut (especially when Michael Pittman is nearby:)), and lets Gibbs, Snyder and co. take care of it when they see fit. Fingers crossed!!

Isn't he under contract until 2011? How could he even think about his contract now when he has 5 years left on the agreement he signed? He's stuck with it, isn't he?

I sure hope our FO doesn't cave in and just throw money at him. Next offseason we will need to address OL and DL depth in a big way, as well as CB.

Plus we will need the cap space to make moves in 2007...we can't be concerned about giving a new contract to someone already under contract for years to come.

Isn't he under contract until 2011? How could he even think about his contract now when he has 5 years left on the agreement he signed? He's stuck with it, isn't he?

I sure hope our FO doesn't cave in and just throw money at him. Next offseason we will need to address OL and DL depth in a big way, as well as CB.

Plus we will need the cap space to make moves in 2007...we can't be concerned about giving a new contract to someone already under contract for years to come.

Your right - to a point. The reality of the NFL is that players who are unhappy with what they signed know they can pressure teams into renegotiating or force them into a position where they have to trade the player to a team who will give them the new contract (see Owens Terrell).

Teams also construct contracts in such a way that they are never really intended to run through to termination. Usually hey are constructed to be 3 or 4 years deals with salary escalators or roster bonuses which kick in which will NEVER be paid - these force re negotiations at this point or the player gets cut. The do this to allow them to pro rate signing bonus over say 6 or 7 years to lower the cap charge.

Bottom line Taylor may be signed through to 2011 but the odds of him playing until then under the current deal to then are slim to none.

HTTR

Martin

Your right - to a point. The reality of the NFL is that players who are unhappy with what they signed know they can pressure teams into renegotiating or force them into a position where they have to trade the player to a team who will give them the new contract (see Owens Terrell).

Teams also construct contracts in such a way that they are never really intended to run through to termination. Usually hey are constructed to be 3 or 4 years deals with salary escalators or roster bonuses which kick in which will NEVER be paid - these force re negotiations at this point or the player gets cut. The do this to allow them to pro rate signing bonus over say 6 or 7 years to lower the cap charge.

Bottom line Taylor may be signed through to 2011 but the odds of him playing until then under the current deal to then are slim to none.

HTTR

Martin

Perfect!! Couldn't have said it better. If he has a good year this year coming up look for him to make some noice. Especially with the money he is making now, and looking over at Archuleta!!!! He's going to want to get Super Paid!!!

Don't blame him one bit!

No doubt about it. He will wait until all of the legal stuff has blown over and nobody is talking about it, then Rosenhaus and ST will "pull a TO"

If anyone thinks he's going to keep playing for more than a year with his current contract all the while watching Archuleta stink up the joint and get paid the big bucks, you're nuts. He's going to want to renegotiate. You think Rosenhaus would have it any other way?

Maybe Rosenhaus would pull him in the direction of the cowboys, just like TO.

Now that would be funny. There sure would be alot of usernames on here that would change.

No doubt about it. He will wait until all of the legal stuff has blown over and nobody is talking about it, then Rosenhaus and ST will "pull a TO"

If anyone thinks he's going to keep playing for more than a year with his current contract all the while watching Archuleta stink up the joint and get paid the big bucks, you're nuts. He's going to want to renegotiate. You think Rosenhaus would have it any other way?

Maybe Rosenhaus would pull him in the direction of the cowboys, just like TO.

Now that would be funny. There sure would be alot of usernames on here that would change.

Hey I'd be worried about resigning Roy Williams who becomes a free agent this next offseason lol

He's gonna want mega big bucks for making Pro Bowls.

Here's to him seeing the light and recognizing that the 'skins organization is the gold standard with respect to rewarding individuals for their good work. Hopefully he chooses to keep his mouth shut (especially when Michael Pittman is nearby:)), and lets Gibbs, Snyder and co. take care of it when they see fit. Fingers crossed!!

Honestly though, how have the skins set this 'gold standard'? There are very few players on this current team that have been re-signed without the major motivator being cap savings. And I don't believe signing Sean to a new deal would offer any such savings.

I say rosenhaus will first try to 'adjust" the current contract after the season if sean continues to blossom into a superstar this year (a la Seymour), then with after the 2007 season tell the team he wants to negotiate an extension with two years left on the deal. If the Redskins are willing to do that, and i believe they will, sean taylor will get his new contract after the 2008 season.

If Taylor wants a better contract he certainly deserves it. He is the best safety in the league and deserves to be paid like it. It would be cool if he could wait until after he is off probation to ask for a new contract, but I trust that he will stay out of trouble anyway. The Skins should start working on a contract that keeps him in Washington for at least the next seven years.

Hey I'd be worried about resigning Roy Williams who becomes a free agent this next offseason lol

He's gonna want mega big bucks for making Pro Bowls.

Why? According to all of you, he sucks so he won't command big money. I'm not worried about it.

I'm positive that they're approaching this like a contract season. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it BUT I'm sure that Rosenhaus has told Sean that if he stays out of trouble and continues to become a model citizen off the field while finally putting it all together on the field then he will be in a position to renegotiate. It might not such a bad move at that point either. Do you really want to wait to re-sign him? It would only cost more in the future.

But he has to prove it this year first....

Why? According to all of you, he sucks so he won't command big money. I'm not worried about it.

It doesn't matter what we think, it matters what Roy thinks. And he made it to Pro Bowls and has the media blowing smoke up his ass about how great he is.

Unfortunately for you, he:

1) Will have to be paid hansomely to stay, and

2) Isn't that good to begin with

Do you really want to wait to re-sign him? It would only cost more in the future.

Thats the key. Waiting to sign Sean to a long term contract would be stupid. He will have at least one pro bowl appearance, maybe two, by the time his rookie contract expires. That alone will make a new long term deal extremely difficult to broker. Might as well sign him up now. Waiting would be like the guy who sees a great buissness oportunity in front of him but says "you know, it looks great, but I still gotta see some more data before I invest". Those people usually get bid right out of the market.

And for those people who still think Sean has yet to prove that he is an elite safety- have you even been watching redskins games the last two years! Hell, even Pete Prisco, a notorius redskin hater, wrote "He is on the verge of being a superstar. He has range and he can tackle. Watch out for him in 2006". Greg Williams, who has coached a lot of good atheletes, routinely says Sean is the best athelete he has ever coached.

Sean is already an elite safety. To not sign him up long term is foolish.

He wanted a new contract right after he signed the first one. Rosenhaus didn't negotiate this one so he isn't getting paid anything. I'm sure after this whole legal mess he will want to get paid for all his work. I'm sure he will ask next year for a new contract. Sean's contract was heavily incentive based. I believe it was a 7 year 18m deal w/ the ability to go up to 40 m. If he has a great year and is a good citizen then they will probably talk about it next year.

Archived