Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2 Simple changes to make us better

Canyonero!

I'm amazed at all the blame being tossed around. Despite the national media people usually not knowing what they are talking about, their views on us were correct. We lack the talent at this point to put SS's system into effect.

But that doesn't mean we have to be league fodder all season. There are 2 simple things we can do (and I think we will after the bye) to be more competitive:

1. Run Davis at least 23 times a game. He avg'd 4.5 yards a carry today. And if you take away the crappy o-line play, he would have been averaging over 7!

2. Stop using LA as a DE. I know he's not playing up to his full potential in any case, BUT, playing him as an LB 100% gives us 3 real LB's, and 4 real DL's. Currently it's 4 LB's and 3 DE's. If ML loves having all 4 LB's out there, he needs to switch to a 3-4 D (which I'm not recommending at all).

I'm sick of everyone getting so upset over our results. I'm pissed too, but looking at talent, we probably were/are a 9-7/8-8 team THIS year. We could easily be 0-3 if 1 or 2 plays go a little differently against AZ.

Originally posted by REDSKINGATOR11

Actually, according to everyone else on this board. If we had only kept Sage, we would be worldbeaters!

We'd sure as hell be better off than we are with Matthews (who is a servicable backup at best) and Woeful (a complete abomination, one of the worst QBs I have ever seen). Start Ramsey vs. the Titans.

Forget Rosenfels.

This team would look a lot better if it had made a move to grab a DE in the draft to replace 39 year old Bruce Smith and if it had been smarter in filling in its interior line positions on offense by signing players that didn't have to move spots.....................

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

We'd sure as hell be better off than we are with Matthews (who is a servicable backup at best) and Woeful (a complete abomination, one of the worst QBs I have ever seen). Start Ramsey vs. the Titans.

We can win with Mathews but he must get some time. He will not make us a great team but we can win with him. The OL, for the most part, is horrible. Danny's stinking it up. He needs to go.

On the "pound Davis" subject:

I saw a bunch of 10-yard Davis carries this game, but also saw several 0-yarders. I like the idea of pounding Davis, but it's because I think of him as a guy who always gets a couple. Yesterday, he was more like a 10-yard pass: sometimes a first down, sometimes incomplete.

Don't really have an idea as to why he seemed less consistant yesterday.

(One play I'm still wondering about: About mid-4th q., 4th-and-1, their 40, SOS decides to go for it. Skins line up with Davis and a FB (don't remember who) in the backfield, 'Niners show three-man rush, Shane voluntarily takes a delay call, and we punt. On 4th-and-1, with Davis in the backfield, and facing a three-man D-line, we don't have an audible and have to punt?)

Our O line is not exactly opening holes for Davis, but it seems to me that Spurrier doesn't really care for running plays aside from traps and draws -- as if the running game is more of an afterthought for him.

I guess I'm just an old school Skins fan. The "pass to set up the run" concept is a hard one for me to grasp, even after seeing it for a few games.

Maybe if SS told the guys we are going to pound SD down the other team's damn throat the run blocking would improve. It would allow them to get an attitude.

Who knows?

I was originally worried about just this problem ST. With how much he ran Davis during the Cards game, I really thought that SOS wouldn't pull a Norv on us and forget about the run. I'm hoping that he'll figure out as time goes on that he really needs to give Davis the ball more.

At some point in the first half, we ran a couple of play action fakes and I was wondering aloud "why are you doing that if you haven't really established the run yet ?" SOS is going to have to learn and adjust to some things in the NFL. I still have confidence that he's going to "get it" before all is said and done. Just a little tweaking of a few things in the upcoming offseason (or hopefully before this season ends) and we'll be playing somewhat better offensively.

Originally posted by Larry

(One play I'm still wondering about: About mid-4th q., 4th-and-1, their 40, SOS decides to go for it. Skins line up with Davis and a FB (don't remember who) in the backfield, 'Niners show three-man rush, Shane voluntarily takes a delay call, and we punt. On 4th-and-1, with Davis in the backfield, and facing a three-man D-line, we don't have an audible and have to punt?)

SOS never intended to go for it on 4th. (I don't think it was 4th-and-1. More like 4th-and-3 or 4.) He simply instructed Shane to attempt to draw the defense offsides with a hard count. It didn't work. Thus the punt.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

I don't think Mathews was too bad out there tonight.

Danny has been disappointing, though, to say the least.

Matthews' numbers:

10 of 28 164yards 1TD and no picks.

Not bad. The comp/attempts show the type of pressure he was under. To finish the game (or get benched) without an INT and one TD speaks a lot for him. However, he's NOT the answer.

Shane Matthews is an average starting caliber NFL QB. He makes good decisions with the ball, he's tough in the pocket, and he has a "good enough" arm to threaten a defense. However, he's small and doesn't take a beating well, which is to say that he's injury prone if he's getting pressured a lot. If you give him the right protection, he can over the course of a season lead a team as well as Jim Miller, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Vinny Testaverde, Jay Fiedler, etc.

The problem he's had is that he's generally been on teams with little talent or inclination to throw the ball (Wannstedt's Bears) and he can't stay healthy for enough time to show that he's got what it takes.

Are there throws he can't make? Of course. But he can run our offense adequately enough to start and win. We need help from other areas, notably our offensive line, to really be successful with him. He certainly can't do it by himself.

Archived