Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Light Weight O-Line?

DWinzit

In the copycat society that is the NFL, more teams than ever are going to the 3-4 system. Some teams use the 3-4 exclusively and others like the Redskins randomly use it as a changeup. This system doesn't require the heavyweight DT's and ILB's. The D is a bit lighter and quicker.

The trend had been more of two 330+ DT's. This lead to OG's at 330+. Currenlty the Skins have only Dockery and Ndukwe listed over 315. With the extended roster at this time of the year, we would have seen a few more "Jumbo's" normally.

Will there be a new trend towards quicker, lighter interior linemen?

With a change in offensive strategy, I don't think it will make a huge difference to us this coming year. We should be able to create mis-matches and show alot of different looks. The last 2 years have been a little more cut and dry at times. We shouldn't have a problem blocking extra LB's , but I can see us giving some other teams a major fit trying cover up the holes in their defenses.

This system doesn't require the heavyweight DT's and ILB's. The D is a bit lighter and quicker.

in fact, i think it is the opposite with 3-4 defenses. if you look at the teams that play a GOOD 3-4 defense, the patriots and the steelers, their front 7 are big people. the NT weighs a good 320+, then the DEs in a 3-4 would usually play DT in a 4-3(seymour, von olhauffen), so they weigh right around 300 pounds. then your OLBs can put their hand on the ground and play DE in a 4-3, like a willie mcginiest or joey porter.

with that said, you cant base your team solely on who the defense has on the field. you need to run your offensive scheme. randy thomas is one of the better guards in the league, despite only being around 300 pounds. gibbs isnt going to take him out of the lineup because a DE or DT he is up against outweighs him. its just something you scheme around.

Interesting post and question. I don't think the 3-4 defenses are going to prompt the league to move towards quicker and lighter interior OL players. I think the revival of the 3-4 defense has come (in part) in response to the spread of zone blocking, so now offenses may respond to 3-4 defenses by trying to overpower them. I prefer a power game, so if I was a GM and saw the popularity of the 3-4 defenses, I would definitely try to build a huge, powerful OL to steamroll the smaller, lighter opposition. There's nothing like pounding the ball into a defense that just has no answer.

Thinking just about what the Redskins will do, I don't think Gibbs and Co should be too concerned about how defenses are going to the 3-4. In picking guys for the offensive line, the offense needs to decide what its tactics are (power game, agile linemen, etc) and impose its will on the defense whether the defense is a 4-3, 3-4, or whatever. You need to take advantage what the defense gives you in each game, but in terms of setting the roster, I hope the front office does it based on a specific offensive strategy and philosophy, not on what defenses they think we are going to face.

yeh, some people who use the 4-3, like Indy, take smaller DT's and DE's that are faster, as well as a smaller weakside LB (I remember an article was posted here about that).

I think o-lines will stay between 300-320 or so. That much bulk is needed, but so is speed and agility, especially for zone blocking and pulling guards/centers.

I don't know if this still applies to today, but "back in the day" the Skins would chew up and spit out 3-4 defenses thanks to the HOGS being able to just steamroll them.

The only 3-4 team that we struggled with was the Giants but they seemingly had an all-pro at every position of their front 7 so I view them as an anomaly rather than the norm.

I would think this would still apply today. You would want large maulers who can punish the nose tackle and bury the linebackers. The last thing you'd want to do against a 3-4 is run sweeps and stretch plays where you have to pull your lineman because wouldn't that give the faster and more athletic linebackers the advantage?

I don't know if this still applies to today, but "back in the day" the Skins would chew up and spit out 3-4 defenses thanks to the HOGS being able to just steamroll them.

this is funny because last year we struggled big time running the ball against the 3-4 defenses we faced. dallas the first time, and san diego. the 2nd time we played dallas they were playing more of a 4-3 than a 3-4 because they had so many injuries at LB.

this is funny because last year we struggled big time running the ball against the 3-4 defenses we faced. dallas the first time, and san diego. the 2nd time we played dallas they were playing more of a 4-3 than a 3-4 because they had so many injuries at LB.

Good point.

Then again, the "Dirtbags" should never be confused with the "Hogs". :)

effective at cheaply run blocking, yes, but you sacrafice good pass protection by using smaller, more "athletic" linemen

Speaking of, have you seen our roster? We have some big boys on our Offensive line.... how many will make the team, that remains to be seen.

Speaking of, have you seen our roster? We have some big boys on our Offensive line.... how many will make the team, that remains to be seen.

I have and that'll remain to be seen

having big offensive linemen also aids in running the clock out in the 4th quarter

we can just keep handing the ball off to Portis and let our huge offensive line lean on the tired defensive line of the opposing team, which they usually outweigh (see Seattle)

In the copycat society that is the NFL, more teams than ever are going to the 3-4 system. Some teams use the 3-4 exclusively and others like the Redskins randomly use it as a changeup. This system doesn't require the heavyweight DT's and ILB's. The D is a bit lighter and quicker.

The trend had been more of two 330+ DT's. This lead to OG's at 330+. Currenlty the Skins have only Dockery and Ndukwe listed over 315. With the extended roster at this time of the year, we would have seen a few more "Jumbo's" normally.

Depends on the offensive system you run.

For the Skins, Portis runs much better on the outside, especially on stretch plays, so the Skins are going to need mobile linemen, which usually means they'll be a little more lightweight. Plus the Skins use a mix of zone blocking and man to man blocking and zone blocking usually requires more mobile blockers.

The Jaguars on the other hand utilize huge O-Linemen because they like to use a power running game up the middle.

The weird team is Philly who utilize a zone blocking scheme, throw a ton of screens and run a lot to the outside, but have massive O-Linemen.

I think there's a trend of teams going to the more mobile O-Linemen because you wind up worrying less about them having weight problems, you can have a more versatile offense since you can now go inside or outside and better mobility usually means better feet which usually means better pass protectors.

Rich...............

Archived