Sign in to follow this  
TK

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

God I love this business:

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/2015/05/bob-backlund-interrupted-verne-gagnes-funeral-with-a-heel-promo-during-the-eulogy/

According to a report from the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, things started off well. Okerlund’s eulogy ended with an interview introduction for “the heavyweight champion of the world, Verne Gagne,” and earned a standing ovation. Greg’s eulogy didn’t go as well thanks to an interruption from one of the funeral guests — former WWF Champion and legitimate crazy person Bob Backlund.

From the report:

“The lone negative thing is that Backlund started yelling out what was described as a heel promo at Greg Gagne while Greg was delivering the eulogy that was described as ridiculously out of place.”

I saw a shoot with Tommy Dreamer (it may have been on the Austin podcast) where he talked about how they invited Backlund backstage to an ECW event....and Backlund did a totally shoot run-in that no one was expecting - including Paul E.

I'm convinced that pretty much every "Old school" wrestler was either borderline insane, or a pedophile

Wrestling attracted a type back then. Usually it was a failed college athlete. Typically someone who had major personality issues or some injury that prevented them from making it (Ric Flair). Or it was some hanger-on who simply refused to go away (Bobby Eaton).

And if you weren't crazy when you started, the 360 days of road trips and living the gimmick would get you eventually.

As much as I love the territory era, that was a ridiculous way to live.

I caught a little of Smackdown/Raw/whatever from last week (I don't get to watch it like I use too - sadly so I sometimes catch the replays on Fridays/Saturdays) and I wonder, do people even know why they are booing John Cena now? Because that's what everyone else is doing? Lame.

I thought Cena put on a heck of a match selling Sami Zayn as a legit contender. 

Also - please give me more Rollins/Ambrose. That match was insane. #thisisawesomeclapclapclapclapclap

Edited by The Evil Genius

Someone needs to tell Sandow that Jay Lethal did the Macho tribute gimmick better.

And how bad have they killed The Ascension since bringing them up from NXT? Went from dominant tag champs to a cheap Road Warrior knock off that can't win a match even if they wrestled Cole & a broom.

• Like 2

I listen to Cornette's if the guest is remotely interesting. I skip the first 30 minutes of political talk and endless plugs though.

I used to love Stone Cold's podcast. But it feels like he is literally phoning it in lately. Too many reviews of PPVs and Q&As. He is a legitimately great interviewer though.

JR's podcast is hit or miss, depending on how grumpy JR seems that week. I can usually tell in the first 5 minutes whether I want to listen or not.

You know which one can be really good? Piper's. It can also be really terrible, depending on how scatter-brained Roddy seems. His interview with Russo was amazing. Jake the Snake has been on every podcast, but the one he did with Piper was really good.

I've never listened to Jericho, Cabana or Taz.

I still enjoy Austin's podcasts. Jericho's is more diverse & not just Pro Wrestling (NOT sports entertainment) as far as guests go. Plus with Jericho, you get new words like "Hibbity Dibbity".

I'm enjoying the current product as well. Besides the main event scene I believe the mid card portion is solid as well. Throwing Neville in the mix there helped imo. I'm pumped for Payback and Elimination Chamber for the IC title. 

I think it's quiet because there isn't as much to whine about. Even little stuff. The Wyatt's back together rocks (minus Bray). Add Bray and I'll be happy!

NWA & old Dallas Sportatorium tales are good stuff.

Speaking of good stuff, Praise Gibbs is on FB right now at the NXT Philly show marking out because Joey Styles is there. :)

• Like 1

NXT live was ****ing amazing

I've been to dozens of shows before and that was the best

Joey Styles, Foley, and HHH were all there

Main event was Banks vs Charlotte. Amazing

3 way between Owens, Balor, and Breeze was great

Oh and Enzo Amore is my favorite act in wrestling

Amazing

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR6KNTQb5Qo

4 killer promos in 5 minutes and 30 seconds. It takes the guys that long to clear their throats in 2015.

Glad NXT was cool.

(I seriously want to dress like Stan Lane for Halloween next year. That is quite the look he has put together).

I take that back. Dusty's outfit here is next level. Cowboy Hat. Sunglasses. Fur Coat. Willie Nelson t-shirt. I don't even know if the promo is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rLPp7N7dDo

I think JJ Dillon gets overlooked because nearly every Horseman could deliver incredible promos. But this is great work....and a really great angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE0EixRhiZM

I just want to point out that Ric Flair is in a 9-minute long segment - which features several minutes of in-ring action - and never says a word. The Horsemen were so cool.